Trial Periods And The Risks

Guest muttrus

Guest muttrus

Im not sure if its been asked or wether just been in the back of the minds of some you.

While most rescues offer a trial period/cooling off period the time frame varies some up to 6 weeks.Any amount of time is enough while we ensure the dog/cat is healthy before leaving or at least know their medical status

What if something happens during the trial period?

While Im sure some things are unavoidable but what if the new owner brought back the dog/cat knowing they caused its injury or sickness yet gave some bogus reason and you can't prove either way? Does this ever bother anyone?

Its never happened to me but I will admit its always on my mind.I have had dogs come back and the reasons have varied but sometimes I have to wonder is it the real reason?

Of course Im keeping this open but the possibilites are endless nything from backed out the driveway and didn't see the dog to parvo to ate poison to left the gate open etc is there a line ?

even during the trial if they get fined by council say for not picking up dog pooh the dog is still chipped in rescues name even if papers have been signed we all know it takes time to go through the system.

Anyway I was just wondering if there are safe guards in place or is it just luck of the draw or maybe even both BUT it really did get me thinking and boy was there alot of what ifs

We have a non-refundable fee of $150 for this reason - to safeguard us if something happened. While you always hope nothing will, cos you've done all the the checks, accidents happen.

Even though it's "non-refundable," the only time we don't refund the full amount is if, like you said, we need to cover costs due to the adopter's actions.

I offer a 2 week trial with refund if not suited.. I also go out of my way to make contact within those two weeks usually every second or third day to start with then offer assistance as required.

I have only had one dog return.. No fault of his just too smart for family.. He would not listen to commands as they were too soft. That was 3 months after rehoming and didnt offer refund but suggested I assist with finding another dog..

I dont fill my spare space til after the two week period so that I am able to take the dog back at short notice. Most people know in that time frame if it is going to work or not.

If a dog was injured/sick in that time.. most families would persevere I think as they have formed an attachment to the animal..

It's a personal thing I guess and distance would have to be taken into account when anything does go wrong.. If it is a blatant neglect type thing I would want the dog back anyway and would wear the costs just to make sure it is safe. A pre adoption illness that was not found til later would also be a time when I wouldnt worry about cost just getting the dog healthy.

Lots of factors to take into consideration which makes us more diligent when rehoming..

Just a thiought too.. You mentioned time for chip changes.. You can go on line and change details on Austalasian Animal register (Australia wide) at any time. Is a small fee but worth it & you can give owner certificate of Chip details.

Put something in the adoption contract .... if the dog becomes sick or is inured during the trial period the adopter must contact blah blah for advice ...

blah blah .....failure to comply with directions may result in blah blah refusing to cover the costs blah blah ...................