Puppy Formulation?

Peach1401

Have recently been given a Staffy pup. I was told her diet consisted of Puppy Formulation. My partner {who brought me the pup} didnt ask specifics. What is puppy formulation?? Is it the pet food you buy from the supermarket specifically for puppies???

Have recently been given a Staffy pup. I was told her diet consisted of Puppy Formulation. My partner {who brought me the pup} didnt ask specifics. What is puppy formulation?? Is it the pet food you buy from the supermarket specifically for puppies???

How old is she

what does her breeder say or was she from a "friend"

how much does she weigh?..

My partner brought her and didn't ask specifics as to her diet.. Was just told "puppy formulation". I dont think she was purchased from a breeder as such. I have been feeding her Natures Gift puppy food, Pedigree biscuits and Pets Own puppy milk. I had a look online though there were so many different answers regarding the topic..

If the puppy came from an ANKC registered breeder, they must supply information about the pups diet.

Ok well i dont think she is from a breeder of any professional sort... so lets give some advise of good quality puppy food that other staffy owners have done well on.

.... I know our girl did well on innova evo and pro plan...

Chicken necks (make sure they are eaten supervised... hold it while she eats it so she chews)... might not be a bad idea to book her in to a vet see how she is doing health wise, what vaccinations has she had?... make the transition slowly with the food as well.

Thanx muchly, any advice would be helpful.. I'm taking her into the vet on Tuesday though do have paperwork regarding vaccinations. She has had her first lot of vaccines, says she was due on the 24th of feb {she was brought on the 22nd}. When suggesting pet food, would this be purchased from a pet store or a vet???

If the puppy came from an ANKC registered breeder, they must supply information about the pups diet.

Ok well i dont think she is from a breeder of any professional sort... so lets give some advise of good quality puppy food that other staffy owners have done well on.

Chicken necks (make sure they are eaten supervised... hold it while she eats it so she chews)... might not be a bad idea to book her in to a vet see how she is doing health wise, what vaccinations has she had?... make the transition slowly with the food as well.

I'm always happy to provide support to puppy owners but it really should be coming from the breeder.

My advice to anyone reading this thread, is to make sure you purchase your puppy from an ANKC registered breeder, a breeder who cares enough to provide your puppy with the best start to live and then offers ongoing support, especially when it comes to the basics of feeding, worming, vaccination and general care.

A 10 week old SBT puppy will be fine eating chicken wings, pieces of lamb flap and you can start them on turkey wing tips and roo tail. SBT's in general do not do well with a diet that includes grains, preservatives, colours and additives. If you are going to feed dry, go with a premium dog food, one without grain.

They can also have cans of sardines, mackeral, natural yogurt, eggs shell and all and some fruit and veg. When they get bigger and more adventurous they can tackle rabbits and raw salmon heads.

I'm always happy to provide support to puppy owners but it really should be coming from the breeder.

My advice to anyone reading this thread, is to make sure you purchase your puppy from an ANKC registered breeder, a breeder who cares enough to provide your puppy with the best start to live and then offers ongoing support, especially when it comes to the basics of feeding, worming, vaccination and general care.

A 10 week old SBT puppy will be fine eating chicken wings, pieces of lamb flap and you can start them on turkey wing tips and roo tail. SBT's in general do not do well with a diet that includes grains, preservatives, colours and additives. If you are going to feed dry, go with a premium dog food, one without grain.

They can also have cans of sardines, mackeral, natural yogurt, eggs shell and all and some fruit and veg. When they get bigger and more adventurous they can tackle rabbits and raw salmon heads.

:thumbsup:

Thanx so much, your advice is muchly preciated!!!

I don't know anything about staffys in particular but I find feeding a good quality dry food as the main food is the easiest way to ensure my pups get all the nutrients they need during their important growing time.

I feed Advance Puppy, available in pet shops and some vets. I feed about 2/3 - 3/4 of the daily recommended amount of dry and add some human grade mince or fish, sometimes mixed with cook rice and veggies to make it go further, for dinner. Plus extras like chicken wings, bones etc sometimes.

I've tried a few other brands as Advance is not cheap but I find that their poos are so much better (smaller, firmer, less smelly) with Advance so I figure they're getting much better nutrition with it, plus clean up is much nicer for me!!

Thanx muchly, any advice would be helpful.. I'm taking her into the vet on Tuesday though do have paperwork regarding vaccinations. She has had her first lot of vaccines, says she was due on the 24th of feb {she was brought on the 22nd}. When suggesting pet food, would this be purchased from a pet store or a vet???

Congrats on the new puppy..we wiill of course need lots of pictures of the little lady...

Food wise, talk to your vet but I am going to suggest a good quality kibble, like Nutro or Eukanuba or Royal Canin.. There are some really good ones out there. As well as some chicken necks from the butcher or supermarket. Raw meat and bones are good for dogs. I prefer human grade meat but plenty of people use pet mince (not my preference). Add in a tiny bit of cottage cheese, some sardines or tuna and you have a reasonable diet.

But do discuss with your vet and check out the health section and puppy section here on DOL for some added info.

All the best and congrats on the new puppy

Edited to add Pav has given you awesome advice.. I didn't see her post until after I checked the spelling on mine (iPad tries to spell everything for me)...

Edited by Staffyluv

I dont think she was purchased from a breeder as such. I have been feeding her Natures Gift puppy food, Pedigree biscuits and Pets Own puppy milk.

The people who bred her are breeders whether they are ANKC registered, unregistered, ethical or whatever. "Phone the breeder and ask" just means phone the person who brought this pup into the world :)

Ditch the puppy milk. They definitely do not need it and it only takes up room in their stomach that real food could be occupying.

Natures Gift would be the best supermarket canned food IMO, but leave that on the shelf and wander over to the meat section and spend the same $$ there - you will get better food for the same money.

Pedigree biscuits make me go :vomit: but if she's used to them then don't change everything at once.

I dont think she was purchased from a breeder as such. I have been feeding her Natures Gift puppy food, Pedigree biscuits and Pets Own puppy milk.

The people who bred her are breeders whether they are ANKC registered, unregistered, ethical or whatever. "Phone the breeder and ask" just means phone the person who brought this pup into the world :)

Ditch the puppy milk. They definitely do not need it and it only takes up room in their stomach that real food could be occupying.

Natures Gift would be the best supermarket canned food IMO, but leave that on the shelf and wander over to the meat section and spend the same $$ there - you will get better food for the same money.

Pedigree biscuits make me go :vomit: but if she's used to them then don't change everything at once.

Lol Thanx muchly. I'm glad I found this forum, I was getting really confused with google..

Guest donatella

Some of you folk are so condescending and forget that the regular Joe doesn't know to buy their puppy from a registered breeder, and when they come here asking genuine questions 'ask your breeder' isn't very helpful. You could help educate one more person on the benefits of registered breeders with your wealth of knowledge whilst helping them with their enquiries.

Lots of great info provided here :thumbsup:

Haven't seen anything condescending. Nothing wrong with asking the breeder, no matter who they are.

It may even help them learn about the type of info they need to provide to puppy buyers too.

(No 'retailer' or 'manufacturer' - regardless of product - is or should be exempt from answering post sale questions from their customers regarding their products)

Edited by espinay2