So Many Choices = So Much Confusion! Haha

rachael12

Hi guys,

I am still new to DOL and excited to start showing my pooch. I have had her since May last year and she is an adult dog (5yrs). I have decided not to enter her in a show until May/June, mostly because I feel there is a lot I still need to learn! She has been shown before by her previous owner so I'm sure it won't worry her at all.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that there are SO MANY products out there and I was hoping for some guidance as to what would best for a 'newbie'. Her previous owner recommended PlushPuppy Natural Body Building Shampoo and Eqyss Survivor Detangler and Shine Spray. I saw the PlushPuppy whitening shampoo and thought that would be a useful product as she tends to get her white paws tinged brown from dirt and mud. Is it a good/appropriate product?

Also, I am a bit confused about show leads... there are far too many types! Someone recommended glamour leads on Facebook which I had a look at. They are beautiful but I'm not sure which type/length to get.

Is there anything that people feel is an absolute necessity to have when starting out showing? I appreciate your advice and opinions very much! Thanks!

P.S. My girl is a shetland sheepdog.

I am sure others can advise on breed specific things, but my suggestion is to keep it simple at first. There is not much you really 'need'. Most of it is just fun to have ;)

A basic slip lead or choker and lead is all you need to start with (though yes, the glamour leads are beautiful I will agree!!).

Ask her breeder what type of coller/lead she is used to being shown on and what length it was. it may be best to start off with something similar.

A neat outfit - doesnt need to be expensive (Millers is popular ;) ) - trousers and a nice top or a skirt and top with comfortable shoes you can run in.

Just choose a colour that complements your dog.

The things your breeder recommends for grooming are a good start and I would follow their recommendations to begin with.

You may modify as you get more experienced, but keep it basic to begin with.

The whitening shampoo may be a good addition for the white paws.

Have fun! :thumbsup:

Edited by espinay2

Use the products the breeder suggested. Ask the breeder what she showed the dog in. Or - see what you like best - there are coloured slips, check chains with leads - quite a few choices. Some dogs go better on one thing than another.

Good luck, and have fun!! :thumbsup:

Hi, I have only been showing for a year (although my family have been doing it ALOT longer) so i know how confusing it can all be.

I use a whitening shampoo on both my dogs (although one is sable with white feet, and bib) and i find not only does it brighten the whites but it also lifts the colour of the reds and browns as well. I use the Oakwood Whitening the day before a show, and the Aloe Vera one on off show washes. I also use this great conditioner from them when thier coat is a bit dry, or it is a long time between show washes.

But in the end, it is your decision. I know its expensive to try around without success, but i have veered away from Plush Puppy as it gave one of our other dogs a rash (im not suggesting it will give yours one, she just has very sensitive skin!)

As for leads! Your right! Spoiled for choice!!! So far I have used EVERY type of lead there is (with the exception of prong collars) and this is what i have found.

A straight lead, slip lead, etc is great if you have a fairly co-operative dog in the ring (doesn't sniff much, keeps focus on you, doesn't leap, etc). My male I show on just a simple straight lead from Snazzy Pooch leads, because he is just a darling around the ring.

A martingale is better if your dog needs a little persuasion. (head higher, closer to you, etc) My mum shows her cavies on these types of leads, as they have the tendacie to pull away from her and it gives her greater control.

A check chain is better if your dog needs a lot of persuasion, or is very headstrong. I use a check on my bitch that I show because she is the most outgoing, psycho, bouncy thing you could imagine. I have trained her on the check to the point now that she hears the check slipping and she behaves. Get advice and practice with this sort of lead before the show ring because you can look really awkward if you are timid about using the check or too heavyhanded.

What sort of lead was she shown on before? I would start out with something similar in length and construction, and then slowly convert to what works for you.

The Glamour show leads are beautiful and she makes all types of leads beautifully. But there are LOTS of companies out there that do similar things as well, so do your research and go with what suits you and your dog.

The other basics I would say are a brush, good steel comb, a coat preparation spray for on the show day, a tidy outfit (doesn't have to be really fancy), shade, a crate or trolley with cover (or if your budget doesn't stretch that far a big sheet/blanket depending on weather) unless you are only going to benched shows, an exhibitor number holder, comfy flat shoes that you can run in, water bowl for the dog, and a smile!!!!! Im not sure for a sheltie what specific grooming tools you would need other than what i have mentioned, but i would imagine there is a fair bit of grooming so I woud imagine you would either need a sheet for the ground (so she doesn't get dirty while being groomed) a wooden plank for on top of your crate, or if you get a trolley, you can use that as your grooming table!!!!

Hope you have a great time showing your girl!!! I love showing!!!! It has become the highlight of my week!!!

Welcome to showing!!!

The whitening shampoo from push puppy is good for the whites - including her collar. Assume she is a sable?

As others have said, check what her previous owner used as a collar and lead to show her on. Most sheltie people here use a linked chain and lead. You need either a jeweller's link chain or a snake chain (two different types) as they don't snag or get caught on sheltie fur.

See if you can find a sheltie person in NSW to show you how to groom - line brushing is something you should learn.

The absolute basics for grooming a sheltie at a show (assuming you've done a lot of the work at home...)

A comb (metal teeth)

A pin brush

A nylon and boar bristle brush (good quality)

A nit comb (really fine toothed headlice comb) for the fur behind her ears.

A spray bottle of water (you always brush a sheltie with a slightly damp coat)

Best book I have seen for grooming a sheltie is "The Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming" - you can pick one up online fairly cheaply and is still readily available and definitely worth it.

Keep it simple. There are literally thousands of products out there and you will probably find every sheltie exhibitor uses a different combination. Jr_inoz suggestions are perfect. I would add a good pair of scissors for the feet and some baby powder to puff up the legs. Personally I use very little of the commercial brand coat products, I have a spray made up with bay rum, au de quinine and water as a grooming spray.

Now, you cant post on here without supplying a pic....

good luck

Thanks so much for your advice guys! I really appreciate it. I have tried to use the suggestions of my dog's previous owner, especially with the grooming products and shampoos, but as for leads she basically told me to buy what suits me. I think I will buy a simple slip lead as my dogs is small and listens well. I'm only 5 foot 2 so I think a shorter lead will be ok for me too.

Thank you jr_inoz for your suggestion of "The Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming". I am going to see if I can get my hands on a copy. I haven't been able to find a lot of books that were really helpful in the area of showing and the sheltie breeders/showers I have talked to haven't really been able to suggest any either. I guess first hand knowledge and experience are better than a book though.

Can I ask people how often they wash their show dogs? I have been told different things from people, varying from twice a week, to only when absolutely necessary, ie before a show.

Thanks so much for your advice guys! I really appreciate it. I have tried to use the suggestions of my dog's previous owner, especially with the grooming products and shampoos, but as for leads she basically told me to buy what suits me. I think I will buy a simple slip lead as my dogs is small and listens well. I'm only 5 foot 2 so I think a shorter lead will be ok for me too.

Thank you jr_inoz for your suggestion of "The Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming". I am going to see if I can get my hands on a copy. I haven't been able to find a lot of books that were really helpful in the area of showing and the sheltie breeders/showers I have talked to haven't really been able to suggest any either. I guess first hand knowledge and experience are better than a book though.

Can I ask people how often they wash their show dogs? I have been told different things from people, varying from twice a week, to only when absolutely necessary, ie before a show.

my girl gets washed about every second or third week when we are showing. Some weeks she only gets her whites (feet mainly) washed. Unless of course, she has decided to roll in something nasty - then she gets washed as needed. If she is starting to 'blow' her coat, and I want to get her through a few more weeks to make it to a show coming up - I won't wash her at all and I keep the brushing down to a minimum. I will get a towel and dampen it with warm water and rub her with it before a show instead of a full bath to freshen her up.

"Sheltie Talk" is also a good book to refer to - especially about general health etc. You would need to get an older addition. They are currently updating it and doing it in two parts. Unfortunately, the show grooming and breeding part hasn't been done yet. Still waiting on this one.

Head into the sheltie thread in the breeder subforums in General - you might pick up some more tips in there from people more experienced than me. Someone might be able to point you towards a sheltie person in NSW who may be able to help you too.

edited to add - I agree with EF - picture please.....

Edited by jr_inoz

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again. I went to a local show on sunday and got to speak to a lot of people there - mostly people with other breeds, but I did meet a great sheltie family! I have bought the Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming, which looks really helpful! I have a few brushes but I would like to supplement my collection with scissors, combs, etc... Not sure where to buy scissor (also what type of scissors) as our local pet shop is pretty simplistic. Where do others buy theirs?? Also I thought I would get a child's play pen, rather than a crate as it would be better for me personally, i think. Also need to buy a gazebo? It's very exciting shopping, I'm just impatient waiting for it to come in the mail! :)

Umm, one last thing! :) Where do you get bay rum? thanks!

Rachael

For your grooming and show supplies you are best getting them from the show vans - Show Equipment or Petcetera who are always at the Erskine Park Shows. They will be able to assist you with various check chains, leads, scissors, brushes, chalks, shampoos etc.

Much better than what you will get from the local petshops ans usually a lot cheaper for better quality.

Once you know what you are looking for then you can start searching for bargains on the internet.

If you are wanting to look at a number of shelties together our specialty show is on Sunday 1 April at Erskine Park - entries are still open on Oz Entries and you would still be OK to post as well.

I would recommend trying to go to some show training before you start. There is training out at Castle Hill on a Tuesday and Wednesday night.

Getting someone to show you how to trim your dog for the show ring is very important as I sometimes see new exhibitors who have been a bit brutal with the trimming of the ears and also of the hocks. Work on the adage of less is more. You can always take more off later however if you take too much off you have to wait for it to grow back.

I would suggest that if you are not going to use a trolley or the like that you may need a grooming table as it is difficult to groom on the ground at a show.

I would suggest however that before going overboard with your purchases that you try showing out first - have seen a few people in recent years go and buy all the stuff only to disapper after a few weeks because the dog that they had was not up to the standard for the show ring. Shelties are not an easy breed for people starting out in showing particularly in Sydney.

TB