Frozen Semen Ais

Hi i was wondering if those who have done this can help me with some information regarding using FROZEN semen.

Can you do transcervial ais with frozen semen or does it have to be done surgically.

Ive seen prices for both and transcervial ive seen as low as $50 for an AI and sugical ive heard can be up to $900 +

i underdstand there is prog testing involved either way am just wondering which was frozen has to be used or can it be used either way.

Thanks

Hi i was wondering if those who have done this can help me with some information regarding using FROZEN semen.

Can you do transcervial ais with frozen semen or does it have to be done surgically.

Ive seen prices for both and transcervial ive seen as low as $50 for an AI and sugical ive heard can be up to $900 +

i underdstand there is prog testing involved either way am just wondering which was frozen has to be used or can it be used either way.

Thanks

Your avitar says your from SA - I spoke to the staff at Noah's Crossing and they were fantastic regarding AI's using frozen semen - very friendly and informative in a way I could easily understand!

There is a thread in the breeders section about repro vets.

Yes, you can do TCI's with FS though some vets are more competent/practiced at it than others.

Note in some cases you can use either, but in some situations one may be considered a better option than the other depending on a range of factors relating to both your bitch and the frozen semen. It really isn't a one size fits all 'choose this as it is cheaper' but rather 'choose this as it is your best chance of success in the given circumstances'.

To familiarise yourself with the different procedures I recommend Dr Robert Hutchison's video 'Maximising Conception in the Bitch'

Edited by espinay2

Thanks everyone for your replies , i would be using noahs crossing if and when i do the AI.

i just wasnt sure how frozen had to be used...am not looking for the cheaper option but i was wondering if cos its frozen and has less "life" after being thawed i wondered if it needed to be done surgically or an tci was enough.

mind you i do cow Ais and they are done using frozen and done TCI so i dont see why dogs need to be done any differnet (however) dog semen if imported is far more expensive then bulk bought cow semen so you will want it to work.

i notcied some of you mentioned doing more then on AI, is this to just make the chances greater or thats how many need to be done cos when importing semen you may end up with only one breeding so therfore can only do the one AI??

thanks again