My Girls First Season...my Boys Too...

Hi all,

My SBT girl is in the middle of her first season. I have never owned a bitch before so besides what I have read and what her breeder has told me, I know very little. I also have a SBT dog who is going through this for the first time too :eek: I guessing she just about "ripe" as my boy has handled it very well up until yesterday. Since then he has just been, well... :eek: :laugh:

I am at home full time so they are ALWAYS being watched and if I do leave the house I lock my girl in the house by herself. My biggest problem so far is that fact that my boy is inconsolable when he's not near her or can't see her. Do I just ignore him and ride it out?

Any things I need to know for the rest of this season and others down the road for both bitch and dog? :stupid:

Any tips or advice people can provide would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by just1more

Some males are better when they can see the girl & others are worse.

Trial & error on that.

Try some Tranquil Paste on your boy. I find it helps sooth them to a degree. It certainly can't do any harm.

You can get it at fodder stores.

As already said some are better when they can see them. Can you crate the side by side? MIne are in dogs runs next to each other (with very small mesh between them) and they cope really really well. No whining, whinging, barking etc

I make sure my boys can not see them.. I have just gone thru this 2 bitchs same time in season Boy was it fun lol..

One boy will not eat makes himself sick.. I even tried him on roast chook n cooked lamb.. nope they had one thing on their mind n that was it lol

Good luck!! lol

I make sure my boys can not see them.. I have just gone thru this 2 bitchs same time in season Boy was it fun lol..

One boy will not eat makes himself sick.. I even tried him on roast chook n cooked lamb.. nope they had one thing on their mind n that was it lol

Good luck!! lol

:eek: OMG!!! Don't think I could even handle THAT!!! :laugh: My boy has gone off his food a bit too. Not touching his kibble at all but if I put him in a pen by himself he'll eat his raw 1/4 chicken but that's all he'll eat all day. He's gone from sleeping about 20 hours a day to maybe 8 hours at night when they are both locked up in seperate rooms in the house. I took him out yesterday by himself just so he could get a break from being near her and my boy is still in there :thumbsup: Bloody boys around girls!! :laugh:

He seems to be attached to his crate ATM so I tried moving it into one of the fenced off areas of the yard this morning (it's a pen within a pen really) and he seems happy with that so hopefully they are both happy with that coz I need a break from watch them!!....and him watching me to see if I'm out of sight to try something :crazy: ...never going to happen!

Will look into that Tranquil Paste too Christina.

:thanks: everybody

Well my husband did tell me he thought Lewis was gay!!

Recent matings have proven he is wrong, but although he does get a bit sookier he eats plays, trains normally. He mated his bitch Friday went to dog training Saturday and trained beautifully came home and mated her again then happily passed out on the lounge for the rest of the evening.

I think I may just be VERY lucky!

Edited by OSoSwift

I don't think i'd risk having them both out together when you don't want them to mate, a dog can be to quick to stop! As others have said, a crate where he can see her (and that she isn't getting any from another male) works best here

Running an in season bitch and dog together is a very risky practice ...and one not to be recommended - by me, anyhow.It's not fair on either of them, really , and stressful for you, so why bother? behind good wire, or in solid rooms is much easier :)

Thanks for the tips guys :thumbsup:

I suppose I should word things a bit better as they aren't actually in together unless I am in there too. Unfortunately we are renting ATM so can't do anything too structual but have fenced my yard into sections with the main pen area attached to our family room where we spend 90% of the day in, which has big double glass slidding doors and there is not one inch that I can not see. I have another smaller pen inside that pen which I have put my boy and his crate which is working a treat as he can see me and her so it's as stressed. Yes they were in the big pen together when she first started but even then they were only in there together when I could have the time to watch them and seperated as soon as I walked away.

I wish I had other options but unfortunately this is what I have to work with ATM. As I said, I'm new to all this "season" business as I have only ever owned boys before so I know I am going to make mistakes somewhere along the line and I like to get other peoples advice that HAVE had years of dealing with this and other doggie issues. I have just started on the show sceen and at this point in time, this is THE only reason my girl still has her bits.

Thanks again and any other things to watch for or you think I need to know would be great :D

Doesn't even take that long, wham bam, deal done and you are left watching them tied as you can't get to them in time. It really is not recommended to have them together, even if you are in the same room.

I ONCe was walking mine inside to be under the aircon. Had the male on lead, the bitch running to have a toilet. She raced up parked her bum in his face and I snatched him away as his feet almost hit her flanks. I would NEVER have them together even under supervision. There is one story on here where a bitch was to be mated so running with the male and otehr bitch. He jumped on the bitch they thought was not in season, thrust once and she said no silly wrong girl and gently pushed him off - 4 puppies were born 9 weeks later.

Don't do it is my advice!

ok. Thanks. I'm green but not that green. I know it's quick :eek: I'm not going to sit here and say "that'll never happen to me" coz murphy's law just LOVES to kick me in butt :rofl:

Unfortunately for my boy he would literally have to do my leg as well when they are in the room with me as my girl is velro girl!!! I can't even adjust myself with out her "in there" too :laugh: He's a lot better today than the past 2-3 days...I know THAT doesn't mean sh@t but when my girl is sooooo close to me alllllllll the time and I know "that look" on him VERY well, I know when he's just thinking about having a chop :grimace:

They are currently sleeping at my feet and all the times I have had them together (ALWAYS with me...my girl REALLY does not leave my side)today he has not once tried. He looks to me before he goes near her, I say no, he turns around and walks the other way or comes up to me for a cuddle. That's the type of dog he is. I do not trust him not too but I do know my boy well enough that having him seperated from her AND me more than penned inside a pen when I'm home, and my girl locked up in seperate rooms at night and when I'm not home, would stress him more than anything.

I was actually looking for tips like give my girl chlorophyll to help mask her scent(yes I know I won't mask it completely) which I think has actually help a little. I took her off it for 2days just before I realised she was starting to "ripening", have back on it now for 48 hours and my boy is nowhere near as bad with her (her discharge started changing on Friday and is light pink almost clear now)and, tranquil paste for my boy like Christian suggested...stuff like this is good and if it wasn't for people who have dealt with season before I would have never knows about it :thumbsup:

I ONCe was walking mine inside to be under the aircon. Had the male on lead, the bitch running to have a toilet. She raced up parked her bum in his face and I snatched him away as his feet almost hit her flanks. I would NEVER have them together even under supervision. There is one story on here where a bitch was to be mated so running with the male and otehr bitch. He jumped on the bitch they thought was not in season, thrust once and she said no silly wrong girl and gently pushed him off - 4 puppies were born 9 weeks later.

Don't do it is my advice!

:eek: I don't know any dog stories like that one but maybe a few human ones from my old home town :rofl:

Thank you :)