Not Peeing During The Day

minimax

My 5 month old is pee pad trained, and when I'm at work she stays in the kitchen with her bed and toys up one end, and a pee pad up the other end. 99% of the time the pad is dry when I get home in the afternoon, and she does a huuuuuge wee when I let her out to the balcony to pee (on a pee pad).

It's not healthy for her to hold on all day, and it's helping contribute to recurrent UTI's. We finished the first lot of anti-biotics two weeks ago, and today I noticed the UTI is back. I'm taking her to the vet in the morning, and will start her on cranberry tablets as soon as I can get them, but to try and help some more I need to figure out why she won't pee when she's in the kitchen during the day!

I can come home most lunchtimes and let her out to pee, but obviously I'd prefer if she used the pee pads in the kitchen. I make sure the pee pads are far away from her sleeping/playing area. I've tried using clean pee pads, and leaving her one she's previously peed on but neither makes a difference to if she uses it or not.

I'm worried that I messed up in her toilet training and praised/treated her too much for peeing in the right place, so now when I'm not there she knows she won't get treats etc and therefore won't pee?

Help? Does anyone have suggestions or ideas for how I can get her to pee when she's locked in the kitchen? I'm worried about the poor little tyke!

Minimax, Kirty is a very knowledgeable and well respected member of this Forum. She did ask a genuine question. Maybe if you could explain why your pup can't go outside whilst you are at work or have a doggy door people would help more. Maybe a secure pen outside might work better for your dog if she only likes to go on grass.

I would have thought about 4 hours would be okay for her to hold it in if you can get home at lunchtime. Otherwise it might be a matter of going back to toilet training her to use the pee pads.

Lol

Because id not thought to leave her outside before posting on a forum.

I live in an apartment, and she's pee pad trained, not grass trained.

It's not funny, you were rude to someone with a genuine suggestion.

I don't believe you stated that you live in apartment, did you? No, until your second post! Just because you stated you have trained your puppy to pee on a pad on a balcony doesn't mean the world will assume you live in apartment (there could be a myriad of reasons for your choice).

I suggest you come at lunch time and toilet her out on the balcony given her constant bouts of UTI.

I would think myseslf blessed if i had a puppy that appears to be toilet trained at 5 months! She obviously doesn't like going inside. Take your self home at lunch to take her out for a wee and count your lucky stars she is so clever ;)

Lol

I don't believe you stated that you live in apartment, did you? No, until your second post! Just because you stated you have trained your puppy to pee on a pad on a balcony doesn't mean the world will assume you live in apartment (there could be a myriad of reasons for your choice).

I suggest you come at lunch time and toilet her out on the balcony given her constant bouts of UTI.

If you read my original post you'd notice that I do come home and let her out to pee at lunchtime.

She's pee pad trained and will pee on it wherever it is (which you'd also know if you read the original post instead of just being snarky :), so my living arrangements aren't relevant (although my original post does actually state she pee's when I let her out on the balcony, so, you know).

Sooooo instead of the usual instant bitchy responses from DOL people, let's try reading the original post and helping out someone (or don't help - but don't bitch at me, it's pointless) :)

Just in case you can't:

• Puppy is pee pad trained
  • Puppy will not pee on pee pad in the area she stays in during the day
  • Puppy waits till I get home to pee
  • Any ideas on why she's waiting for me in order to pee?

Does she associate a word with eliminating? If you used "go pee" or whatever when you were training her, maybe you could try putting her on leash, taking her to the spot where you want her to go during the day and giving the command and treating until she gets the idea that it's OK to pee there.

I have to say I am a little bit jealous... I'm starting to think my puppy will never make the connection that outside is for peeing, not just any old place. :(

Lol

If you read my original post you'd notice that I do come home and let her out to pee at lunchtime.

She's pee pad trained and will pee on it wherever it is (which you'd also know if you read the original post instead of just being snarky :), so my living arrangements aren't relevant (although my original post does actually state she pee's when I let her out on the balcony, so, you know).

Sooooo instead of the usual instant bitchy responses from DOL people, let's try reading the original post and helping out someone (or don't help - but don't bitch at me, it's pointless) :)

Just in case you can't:

• Puppy is pee pad trained
  • Puppy will not pee on pee pad in the area she stays in during the day
  • Puppy waits till I get home to pee
  • Any ideas on why she's waiting for me in order to pee?

I read that you have been letting her out at lunch time - CONTINUE TO DO SO!

Any ideas why she's waiting...most likely because she doesn't want to pee on the pad you've trained her to pee on - obvious isn't it? You being away from home is obviously different to you having trained her to pee on it while you're home.

You're the one who thought being rude to the first person who bothered to respond to your post was a good idea, you get what you give.

Does she associate a word with eliminating? If you used "go pee" or whatever when you were training her, maybe you could try putting her on leash, taking her to the spot where you want her to go during the day and giving the command and treating until she gets the idea that it's OK to pee there.

Yep, "bathroom" is her pee command, and she will go wherever she is if I tell her (although not always on the grass, she seems to be missing the natural "grass is for peeing" puppy gene lol

If I tell her to pee in the kitchen, she will happily go, she just doesn't seem to remember to go on her own when she needs to. I can't figure out what's going on in that little head of hers because holding on all day can't be comfortable for her!

I have to say I am a little bit jealous... I'm starting to think my puppy will never make the connection that outside is for peeing, not just any old place. :(

How old is your pup? Keep at it, it just takes lots of treats and silly noises when they go in the right spot!

Edited by minimax

Yep, "bathroom" is her pee command, and she will go wherever she is if I tell her (although not always on the grass, she seems to be missing the natural "grass is for peeing" puppy gene lol

If I tell her to pee in the kitchen, she will happily go, she just doesn't seem to remember to go on her own when she needs to. I can't figure out what's going on in that little head of hers because holding on all day can't be comfortable for her!

It's very possible that she feels she needs your approval or que to go, does she go overnight on the pads?

Is there any way you can make the balcony accessable to her during the day?

When you get home, does she use the pee pad in the kitchen or does she wait for acces to the balcony?

Unfortunately the balcony gets full sun, so it's too hot for a black pug. The kitchen is the coolest room in the house, as well as being fairly naturally puppy proof.

She will pee on the pad in the kitchen if I give the bathroom command, and I've started making her pee on it before letting her out, trying to build more of an association with it but it's probably just strengthening the "pee when I say so" association she seems to have.

Guest lavendergirl

If you would be happy to give her access to your balcony when you are out you might like to look at getting one of those doggy door panels that fit into sliding doors for toilet issues long term. These are good for use in temporary premises or for those who rent. They don't require any structural change to the door.