Pedigree Papers

Charjas

1331972639[/url]' post='5766608']

I think he's beautiful! Over the past few years I've become quite partial to the look of poodles. Something about their little faces :love: And your boy is particularly cute.

He is very cute. He didn't have the bet start. He weighed 1.8 kg when he arrived . Now he's 2.5. Still scratches a lot though but it could be from the grass. He loves rolling rounding it. Charlie would never do that but Charlie is a highly strung poodle and jasper is the woolworths variety. ( so my husband says )

I would say your poodle would have an open coat, sometimes happen in poodle litter that the coat doesnt curl correctly when left natural.

Silver take up to 18mths to clear to their full colour, but some can keep fading till a pale silver.

As for the breeder all you can do is keep contacting them

Wow, he's gorgeous! I'm far from an expert, but silver coats do seem to take a while to change. In my experience (which is my current silver toy poodle and a silver mini when I was growing up) they're not usually uniformly the same colour, either.

Maggie (in my avatar) has a much darker colour along her back - it almost looks like a line sometimes - and her legs and feet are almost white in some light. She also looks completely different depending on how long her coat is, and how brushed. Her coat is much much curlier and feels coarser if I don't brush her, but looks more like your Jasper when I do.

There is also a bit of variation in the silver colouring too, with some dogs a more beige-silver and others much more graphite coloured. I've seen a great site that shows the variation in silver coat colour but can't seem to find it at the moment. Will get back to yuo if I do!

1332210214[/url]' post='5769422']

Wow, he's gorgeous! I'm far from an expert, but silver coats do seem to take a while to change. In my experience (which is my current silver toy poodle and a silver mini when I was growing up) they're not usually uniformly the same colour, either.

Maggie (in my avatar) has a much darker colour along her back - it almost looks like a line sometimes - and her legs and feet are almost white in some light. She also looks completely different depending on how long her coat is, and how brushed. Her coat is much much curlier and feels coarser if I don't brush her, but looks more like your Jasper when I do.

There is also a bit of variation in the silver colouring too, with some dogs a more beige-silver and others much more graphite coloured. I've seen a great site that shows the variation in silver coat colour but can't seem to find it at the moment. Will get back to yuo if I do!

Thanks for that. Jasper had quite a few colours. Lighter legs and tummy and dark grey and brown? along his back. I got him clipped as it was getting too long and because he has a smell also. Underneath was much darker. He has a patch on his shoulders that is quite dark and straight and almost looks like a cowlick. Then he has brownish ears. Seems odd as his parents looked silver. Although I think the fathers parents were black and white.

Yeah - give it a few more months, I think. I remember bringing home our old mini poodle, and he was basically jet black with a little silver face and paws. As an adult though, he was a very light silver, but was also darker on his spine.

I guess it's like blue poodles - I don't think you can actually tell what colour they're going to be until they're at least a few months old (correct me if I'm wrong, someone!) as that's basically a dilute fading gene. They can keep fading for a while too.

Either way- silver poodles are very pretty :thumbsup:

Your silver puppy was actually born black and as Darkrai has indicated the coat "clears" to silver and may take some time to do this. This is a quote from John Armstrong who did extensive work on clour genetics in poodles. "In silver dogs, as in blues, the transition from black to white for each hair is gradual, but occurs at an earlier age. A substantial proportion of the outer coat is medium to light brown, but they have virtually no black in their undercoat."

So your puppies coat colour is quite normal (including the brown bits). Cowlicks in coats are not uncommon and your puppy's coat will have a different texture when it has gone through coat change - some coats are more open (not tight curls) and the colours can also have a softer coat. Your breeder should have been able to tell you all this.

There is a great deal of variation in both blue and silver coats and shading is normal.

The pic is from the same article and shows a blue puppy an 18 month silver standard (which has not finished clearing) and a 3 yr old silver.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/uploads/monthly_03_2012/post-11765-0-01322500-1332217827_thumb.jpg

post-11765-0-01322500-1332217827_thumb.jpg

Edited by frufru

1332217846[/url]' post='5769576']

This is a quote from John Armstrong who did extensive work on colour genetics in poodles. Your silver puppy was actually born black and as Darkrai has indicated the coat "clears" to silver and may take some time to do this "In silver dogs, as in blues, the transition from black to white for each hair is gradual, but occurs at an earlier age. A substantial proportion of the outer coat is medium to light brown, but they have virtually no black in their undercoat."

There is a great deal of variation in both blue and silver coats and shading is normal.

The pic is from the same article and shows a blue puppy an 18 month silver standard (which has not finished clearing) and a 3 yr old silver.

http://www.dolforums...17827_thumb.jpg

Wow. Will be interesting to watch him change. Hope he's going to change from wavy/straight to curly too.