Group Pics.

redangel

I reallty would like a lens to do casual pics of friends at family get togethers..I have a 50mm 1.4 but i was thinking maybe a prime 35mm would be a better ticket. I really struggle with getting all faces in focus. Knowing its most likely technique I also want to take a group of four or more people without having to be too far back from them. Would love some help...examples would be nice. Currently saving for a 24-70mm but thought maybe a cheaper lens in the interim so I dont miss out on too many memories whilst I save!

Sigma 30 1.4 lens works a treat if you want prime for low light and smaller spaces and tight budgets.

My Canon 17-55 IS is one of my workhorses that I couldn't imagine being without - it just works every time, all the time. Would be a very versatile and budget friendly choice. Never been interested in the heavy & overpriced 24-70, personally.

Canon's 24L 1.4 is orgasmic, but pricey.

I shoot about 6.3 ish for groups - I'll stop that down to f9 with massive groups, though probably don't really need to.

Thanks for the info: Im in the nikon demographic atm. This will give me something to play with. Interesting you are not the first person to say that. I always research/play/hire before I decide to purchase (cant afford to buy a lens that wont be used)

aperture you want for groups is subject to a lot of things - how large the group is, how close they all are to being on the same focal plane, how much detail you are after, your distance from them etc etc - if you practice with lens, a dummy subject and moving closer or further away, you will get the feel for exactly what you want to achieve so when it comes time, you know exactly what you want to use without needing to guess. There is also the chimping afterwards, where you can zoom in on the back of the camera o make sure the focus and exposure is where you want it. As for what lens - well that depends on whether you are after full body shots or not - obviously a wider lens will give you that ability without you needing to be too far away, but you will also get distortion at the edges, so need to be careful as to where you have people placed so they are not effected by this - a normal lens (50mm), will not be affected by this. It does also depend whether you have a full frame camera or not too, as with a crop sensor, your camera will not be treating a 50mm like a 50mm, it will be cropping within the frame, so you will definitely want something wider then. I personally use my 24-70 for the situation you are describing, as it gives me the versatility to use the focal lengths in that range without changing lenses. I will also be around the 5.6 mark, but again, will alter this either up or down depending on no pf people in group, distance etc