A Couple Questions About Importing Dog From Usa

LabsRock61a

Hello all - long time reader, first time poster (I think !).

I'm an expat Aussie living in the USA. I'm thinking about moving back to Australia, but the timing is hard to nail down (I want to find a job first). I'm roughly planning to move back in the middle of 2013.

I have a terrific 7 year old Labrador who is my best mate, my "heart" dog. Of course, he'd come with me to Australia. I've carefully read the steps for importing a dog (http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the%20USA%20%28not%20including%20Hawaii%29), and have a couple questions.

1. If I get his RNATT blood test done now, he would be "covered" for a year for both his RNATT result and his rabies vaccination and he could be exported up to one year from the date of his blood draw. If I get close to the end of that year and I don't have firm plans though, I'd need to repeat the RNATT and rabies vaccination, right ?

2. What are the chances that his bloodwork won't show adequate rabies antibodies ? does this ever happen ?

3. Similarly, what are the chances that he won't pass the requirements for ehrlichiosis, leptospirosis, brucellosis, leishmaniosis ? does this ever happen ?

4. Due to a screwup at the shelter where I adopted him as a baby puppy, he has two microchips. The importation instructions are ADAMANT that any discrepancies around microchip numbers will result in the dog being refused and re-exported. I'm paranoid that having two microchips will introduce opportunities for errors. How should I deal with this ? would the "authorities" be open to a letter of explanation from my vet (or the shelter who put both chips in) to accompany his paperwork ? or should I have one chip removed ? ouch, poor guy.

I'm sure if you import dogs regularly, the process is easy to understand, but it's a bit intimidating for me ! As I'm sure you all understand, it's hard enough for me to think about a simple 30-day quarantine, much less thinking about all the things that could go wrong along the way !

Input would be greatly appreciated, as would stories and advice about importing and quarantining from overseas.

Cheers !

I have a terrific 7 year old Labrador who is my best mate, my "heart" dog. Of course, he'd come with me to Australia. I've carefully read the steps for importing a dog (http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the%20USA%20%28not%20including%20Hawaii%29), and have a couple questions. Firstly, be mindful that not every dog is a suitable candidate for quarantine, no matter what age they are and the older and more of a "pet" they are, the harder the quarantine period can be on them.

1. If I get his RNATT blood test done now, he would be "covered" for a year for both his RNATT result and his rabies vaccination and he could be exported up to one year from the date of his blood draw. If I get close to the end of that year and I don't have firm plans though, I'd need to repeat the RNATT and rabies vaccination, right ? Yes

2. What are the chances that his bloodwork won't show adequate rabies antibodies ? does this ever happen ? There is always a chance and yes, it has happened.

3. Similarly, what are the chances that he won't pass the requirements for ehrlichiosis, leptospirosis, brucellosis, leishmaniosis ? does this ever happen ? As above....and yes.

4. Due to a screwup at the shelter where I adopted him as a baby puppy, he has two microchips. The importation instructions are ADAMANT that any discrepancies around microchip numbers will result in the dog being refused and re-exported. I'm paranoid that having two microchips will introduce opportunities for errors. How should I deal with this ? would the "authorities" be open to a letter of explanation from my vet (or the shelter who put both chips in) to accompany his paperwork ? or should I have one chip removed ? ouch, poor guy. This one I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. You are probably best off sending an email to AQIS and having the reply in writing attached to your paperwork just in case.

Firstly, look at my bolded replies above. And to add to that...during my time in dogs I have imported 3 dogs from the USA, one from the UK and one from NZ. The first US import came via Hawaii and then into Australian quarantine. The second US import came from the USA, into quarantine in Hawaii and then into a home quarantine situation in NZ. The third US import came from the USA, directly into quarantine in Australia and to be honest, I think he faired the worst, probably because he was the biggest "pet" having always lived in a home environment even when being shown by his owner handler. It's a big decision and not one that anybody can make for you.

In addition to the emotional outlay, there is also a quite considerable financial cost involved. All of the lead-up tests in the USA and the Australian quarantine fees, plus the transport costs can add up....quickly!!

Good luck with your decision.

Hello all - long time reader, first time poster (I think !).

I'm an expat Aussie living in the USA. I'm thinking about moving back to Australia, but the timing is hard to nail down (I want to find a job first). I'm roughly planning to move back in the middle of 2013.

I have a terrific 7 year old Labrador who is my best mate, my "heart" dog. Of course, he'd come with me to Australia. I've carefully read the steps for importing a dog (http://www.daff.gov....ing%20Hawaii%29), and have a couple questions.

1. If I get his RNATT blood test done now, he would be "covered" for a year for both his RNATT result and his rabies vaccination and he could be exported up to one year from the date of his blood draw. If I get close to the end of that year and I don't have firm plans though, I'd need to repeat the RNATT and rabies vaccination, right ?

Answer: The RNATT and rabies vax are valid for 12months. Even if it is a 3 year vaccine, it must have been given within less than 12 months and more than 60 days prior to export to be eligible for a 30 day Quarantine stay. If the 12 months comes up and you still haven't left yet, just do the test again and revaccinate before the 12months is up. Don't let them be overdue.

2. What are the chances that his bloodwork won't show adequate rabies antibodies ? does this ever happen ?

Answer: couldn't really give you a figure. If the results come back as less than 0.5iiu/ml, simply wait and redo the test later. I am sure that it would happen but the dog wouldn't be eligible for importation and hopefully your exporting vet over there would actually check these results before you send your dog over.

3. Similarly, what are the chances that he won't pass the requirements for ehrlichiosis, leptospirosis, brucellosis, leishmaniosis ? does this ever happen ?

Answer: Dogs do fail this test more often than the RNATT. Not the end of the world, it just means the tests will need to be done again and got correct results BEFORE you send the dog. If some of these tests are not correct, the dog MUST be re-exported (at your expense), the tests done again and results send to AQIS before the dog can be sent back again. Really not a good idea for an older dog to have to do another long haul flight. If your dog is not already vaccinated for Lepto, leave it like that as some dogs vaccinated for LEpto can give a positive result.

4. Due to a screwup at the shelter where I adopted him as a baby puppy, he has two microchips. The importation instructions are ADAMANT that any discrepancies around microchip numbers will result in the dog being refused and re-exported. I'm paranoid that having two microchips will introduce opportunities for errors. How should I deal with this ? would the "authorities" be open to a letter of explanation from my vet (or the shelter who put both chips in) to accompany his paperwork ? or should I have one chip removed ? ouch, poor guy.

Answer: No big deal about 2 chips. A lot of dogs come in with 2 chips. On your permit application, put both chip numbers in. When doing ALL the tests, you just have to make sure the chip number shown on the Lab reports match the chip on the permit and in the dog. It is best to use the same chip number in all the tests.

I'm sure if you import dogs regularly, the process is easy to understand, but it's a bit intimidating for me ! As I'm sure you all understand, it's hard enough for me to think about a simple 30-day quarantine, much less thinking about all the things that could go wrong along the way !

Input would be greatly appreciated, as would stories and advice about importing and quarantining from overseas.

Cheers !

It is more stressful for the people than the dogs so try not to worry too much. Approx 95% of the dogs that arrive and do quarantine sail through and have no issues from it at all. Of the other 5%, it is mainly issues like fussy eaters (being a labrador this shouldn't be a problem!!!) or dogs that already have health issues and the trip stresses their BODY and can cause the illnesses to deteriorate. This is mainly in things like heart conditions, diabetics, epileptics. Normal happy healthy dogs generally come through it all ok.

Not too helpful with the other stuff sorry, but I used to work in a kennels that did some transport stuff in NZ, and this did happen to one dog, multiple times. His owners just ended up abandoning him and we had to rehome him.

I moved to Australia from the US recently and brought a dog. One of my dogs erlykia tests came back positive every time and he was not allowed to be imported, so yes it happens. If I was doing it again I would pay for the 4 tests now and see what results you get. The tests won't be valid, but you will know if the dog will run into issues or not. My dog did not fair well at all in quarantine and took months for him to be right again mentally, but he was an adult dog. Good luck!

I brought two of mine over from the UK a couple of years ago, one of them failed the tests for leptospirosis as she'd had the vaccine not long previously (we didn't know we were moving when she had her jabs). We just had to wait a few weeks I think and then had her re-tested to show the positive result was due to the vaccine.

Both mine are adult rescues with social issues, but they are no more screwed up now than they were before they went into quarantine :laugh: