Does This Sound Right To You?

Frizzy

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if you could all help to clarify something for me.

My partner and I have recently started looking for a new dog to add to our family. We had a look at all the breeders listed on the DOL puppy page for our chosen breed and contacted a breeder in our state via Email. We have since received an email back from the breeder saying that all of their pups will be offered on the main register. Is this normal? We have no interest in breeding or showing and I thought (maybe wrongly?) that most breeders would sell dogs on limited register to pet homes to stop BYB and puppy farmers. Also, when I looked up the breeders prefix on Dogs SA they can't be found. Am I right to be feeling uncomfortable about this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

would you be perchance looking at staffords or amstaffs or a mastiff breed? Desexing will prevent breeding, but usually all on mains reg (depending on breed) means price bump.

If you have a bad feeling, move on. You need to feel 100% with the breeder as you are trusting them to provide you with a healthy pup. I can tell you I have had dogs from bodgy registered breeders and it just sits in the back of your mind their whole life. I am friends with my current dogs breeder, he's open and welcoming and it just makes the whole experience so much more pleasant.

would you be perchance looking at staffords or amstaffs or a mastiff breed? Desexing will prevent breeding, but usually all on mains reg (depending on breed) means price bump.

If you have a bad feeling, move on. You need to feel 100% with the breeder as you are trusting them to provide you with a healthy pup. I can tell you I have had dogs from bodgy registered breeders and it just sits in the back of your mind their whole life. I am friends with my current dogs breeder, he's open and welcoming and it just makes the whole experience so much more pleasant.

No, not anything even remotely staffy-like.

Thanks so much for the reply. I think you're probably right, if it doesn't feel right we should be looking elsewhere.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if you could all help to clarify something for me.

My partner and I have recently started looking for a new dog to add to our family. We had a look at all the breeders listed on the DOL puppy page for our chosen breed and contacted a breeder in our state via Email. We have since received an email back from the breeder saying that all of their pups will be offered on the main register. Is this normal? We have no interest in breeding or showing and I thought (maybe wrongly?) that most breeders would sell dogs on limited register to pet homes to stop BYB and puppy farmers. Also, when I looked up the breeders prefix on Dogs SA they can't be found. Am I right to be feeling uncomfortable about this?

Thanks

Breeders don't sell on limited reg to stop BYB's and puppy farmers that's the reason given to excuse the practice of controlling someone elses property. They sell on limited reg to prevent you breeding with their bloodlines for two reasons generally. One reason especially in the show scene, they don't want to get beaten by another kennel establishing a better line on the original kennels dogs, and the other reason is producing substandard progeny with their dogs in the pedigree so inexperienced breeders don't use a good male over a poor bitch and produce poor pups for people to say that XYZ kennel's stud is a poor producer.

Limited reg is about "control" for the most part, to control who has the rights of owning a pedigree dog and who doesn't for my opinion on the matter. A quality litter should be sold on mains and no rules within the ANKC structure suggests otherwise, the limited reg thing is merely a trend for control freaks misconstrude as ethical breeding practices directed towards people naive enough to accept it.

Hi Frizzy. :)

Certainly poignant advice from Nekhbet which I second wholeheartedly.

You should find a Breeder first and then chooose your dog together.

The Breeder and the dog are both there for the life of the dog.

However, I don't see what difference the dog being on the main register would make.

Its your dog, you can keep it entire or not.

Its your choice.

Regards

Px

Limited reg is about "control" for the most part, to control who has the rights of owning a pedigree dog and who doesn't for my opinion on the matter.

How? You're still getting a pedigree dog you just have not got the right to use it for ongoing pedigree breeding. If you don't agree with that idea find another breeder. What's wrong with that? Not every dog that is bred SHOULD be then bred on and breeders should be able to make that decision to a degree particularly after they put so much time, effort and money into the whole endeavour in the first place. There is more to pedigree breeders then show ribbons.

Hi,

Thanks

Breeders don't sell on limited reg to stop BYB's and puppy farmers that's the reason given to excuse the practice of controlling someone elses property. They sell on limited reg to prevent you breeding with their bloodlines for two reasons generally. One reason especially in the show scene, they don't want to get beaten by another kennel establishing a better line on the original kennels dogs, and the other reason is producing substandard progeny with their dogs in the pedigree so inexperienced breeders don't use a good male over a poor bitch and produce poor pups for people to say that XYZ kennel's stud is a poor producer.

Limited reg is about "control" for the most part, to control who has the rights of owning a pedigree dog and who doesn't for my opinion on the matter. A quality litter should be sold on mains and no rules within the ANKC structure suggests otherwise, the limited reg thing is merely a trend for control freaks misconstrude as ethical breeding practices directed towards people naive enough to accept it.

I sell my pup on limited to try to protect them from being used by BYB - unfortunately I failed and have been screwed over a pup that was sold on a desex contract on limited registration. Personally I don't give a fat rats ares if you think that makes me a control freak for trying to protect my pups from pricks who only see them as a cash cow...

Your comment is very distasteful and disgusting..

All of our dogs have been bought on main register, including the first two who were purchased as companions. It does depend a lot on the breed and the breeder, or did back then. The two dogs in question were bought for $450 and $650 so it wasn't about charging a motza.

Breeders prefix listing, it depends a bit whether the Dogs SA listing is opt in or opt out. If breeders have to nominate to be listed, well I haven't nominated to be listed in the DogsNSW journal because I figure most readers of the journal will already have a view if they are interested in my breed. My advertising to the general public for companion homes is my website and DOL listing.

I do know a couple of breeders who make a selling point of the fact that they sell unrestricted on the main register, ie, other breeders will ask you to comply with conditions, I won't, buy from me. Each individual has to work out what they think about that, I think there is a happy medium between "I don't care what you do with the dog" and "The dog is not to take a shit without my say so" and most breeders don't sit at either extreme.

How? You're still getting a pedigree dog you just have not got the right to use it for ongoing pedigree breeding. If you don't agree with that idea find another breeder. What's wrong with that? Not every dog that is bred SHOULD be then bred on and breeders should be able to make that decision to a degree particularly after they put so much time, effort and money into the whole endeavour in the first place. There is more to pedigree breeders then show ribbons.

If you like the idea of other people taking control of what is righfully yours then I guess the limited reg is perfect for those people, I don't like that idea personally and owning a pedigree dog I prefer "all" the rights associated with owning dog of a registered pedigree with the freedom to make the choices with "my" dog as I see fit. If a breeder wants control over my dog, how about they pay half it's care and upkeep too :shrug:

IMHO, there needs to be a "deal" on limited reg dogs like the days when you either bought papered or not, unpapered were at times half price and were still technically a pedigree dog and the buyer had the choice papered or not. Limited reg, desexing contracts, co-ownerships on mains etc etc I think is getting out of control to be honest :confused:

All of our dogs have been bought on main register, including the first two who were purchased as companions. It does depend a lot on the breed and the breeder, or did back then. The two dogs in question were bought for $450 and $650 so it wasn't about charging a motza.

Breeders prefix listing, it depends a bit whether the Dogs SA listing is opt in or opt out. If breeders have to nominate to be listed, well I haven't nominated to be listed in the DogsNSW journal because I figure most readers of the journal will already have a view if they are interested in my breed. My advertising to the general public for companion homes is my website and DOL listing.

I do know a couple of breeders who make a selling point of the fact that they sell unrestricted on the main register, ie, other breeders will ask you to comply with conditions, I won't, buy from me. Each individual has to work out what they think about that, I think there is a happy medium between "I don't care what you do with the dog" and "The dog is not to take a shit without my say so" and most breeders don't sit at either extreme.

Thanks for explaining about the prefix listing, that makes complete sense. :)

Hi,

Thanks

I sell my pup on limited to try to protect them from being used by BYB - unfortunately I failed and have been screwed over a pup that was sold on a desex contract on limited registration. Personally I don't give a fat rats ares if you think that makes me a control freak for trying to protect my pups from pricks who only see them as a cash cow...

Your comment is very distasteful and disgusting..

So why haven't the ANKC addressed this supposedly "major issue" demanding that pet puppies be registered on limited, given that they don't and neither do they proclaim this should be the case, until the ANKC step in and make this trend a mandatory practice, to me it's a load of nonesense. What annoys me more than anything else is breeders who sell on mains "as they should" is people questioning their ethics for selling on mains, WTF is this all about :rofl:

I would run a mile from any breeder who sells the whole litter on main register.

Perhaps you should lodge a complaint against them with their kennel council for doing so, except they are in breach of what exactly??

BAsically it was you bought papers or didn't now you get limited or mains, same deal more paper. Oh adn you know your dogs pedigree etc.

Not all puppies should be sold on mains because not all are of breeding or showing quality, quite simple really what is so hard to understand about that?

Perhaps you should lodge a complaint against them with their kennel council for doing so, except they are in breach of what exactly??

? Why should I do that and to whom? I'm not the one dealing with it at the moment, I simply gave my opinion. I don't even bother to contact breeders who advertise all their pups on mains so it's not an issue for me.

Edited by Clyde

So why haven't the ANKC addressed this supposedly "major issue" demanding that pet puppies be registered on limited,

How would they enforce that? I don't think they could.

Giving breeders the option of selling pet quality puppies on limited is better than some of the alternatives for breeders that produce some pups that are not quite up to breeding standard.

What annoys me more than anything else is breeders who sell on mains "as they should" is people questioning their ethics for selling on mains, WTF is this all about :rofl:

Everyone has their ethics questioned at some point, that's just life in dogs. The key point at issue is whether your practices stand up to reasonable questioning or not.

There are people who sell on mains to people that everyone else will not sell to, and that is not something you could describe as being in the dogs' best interests.

And yes there are people that will not sell on main to God himself but that doesn't make selling on main to anyone who comes along some kind of virtue. It's just a signal, among all the other signals out there about which breeders you can envisage buying from and which you cannot.

In most litters there is usually only one or two puppies of good enough quality to be considered future breeding stock and put on main register. The rest should be limit registered to prevent a decline in breed quality. Some litters have none good enough and a few litters have several but it would be very rare to find an entire litter all of show/breeding quality unless it is a very small litter. Breeders that sell all puppies on main register usually don't know the difference between good, average and awful puppies. On the other hand, those that just breed and sell every puppy on limit are contributing nothing to the future of their breed, they are not true breeders but are just producing puppies.