Obedience Trainers/clubs/guru's In Perth

Hiya everyone,

Im looking for a good trainer/club that I can do some training with NOR.

Both Northern Suburbs and Joondalup clubs train on a Sunday, but I cant do Sundays as my kids have footy.

I have done some training previously but havent been very serious about it since I have had my kids.

B4 kids I had 2 GSDs and got their CDs titles, back before there was CCD I think its called. But then I had my boys and priorities changed.My gorgeous old dogs have passed on. I do have a 2.5 yr old GSD now who is good, but Ive not really done any proper work with him, bar every day dog manners, he heels, sits, stays etc but he is more interested in playing with the kids than me, which is fine as he is brilliant with my youngest who has just been diagnosed with JIA, Neo has taken on a role of his 'protector' he seems to know if Samuel is feeling particularly sore and will glue himself to his side.I dont want to start anything too much with him, I do walk him and teach him new tricks like finding the kids, speaking, but I dont want to take him away from Samuel as he is a big help with his illness. His eyes kind of glaze over as well if I ask him for a sit stay, why sit when you can lay?Im in the same spot Mum, chillax Im not going anywhere. But if Samuel moves, different story.He is like a therapy dog in a way I suppose.

But as well as my big dog I have a 16 wk old Brittany boy who I want to try showing with and hopefully get some obedience titles with :crossfingers:

Since I havent trained seriously for many years I am in need of lots of guidance from experienced triallers.Anyone this side of the river around who does stuff at other times than Sunday mornings?

I can join a Sunday club but not til Sept/Oct

Edited by MishB

I would say with your Brittany work on attention first and foremost. I just got myself another book, When Pigs Fly which is great. We did a seminar years ago with Gina O'Keefe from Perth who was absolutely brilliant, not sure where she trains but if I was in Perth that is where I would go

I would say with your Brittany work on attention first and foremost. I just got myself another book, When Pigs Fly which is great. We did a seminar years ago with Gina O'Keefe from Perth who was absolutely brilliant, not sure where she trains but if I was in Perth that is where I would go

Thx Helen, I do recall Gina O'Keefe, I will see if she does anything NOR.

He is brilliant with his attention on me ATM, maybe he is just in a stage where he loves me more than anything else in the world. I hope not, its nice to have someone look at me so lovingly.

I am practising a lot of recall stuff with him, watching me type things because I did notice when I first got him that he has a 'nose', much more than my shepherds ever have, & I hate dogs that arent reliable on recall.

It helps too that a willy wag tail has decided to try distract us in the backyard, he is managing really well with that, Im really pleased with him, but Im worryed Im going to make mistakes with him because I did all of my trialling stuff back in the 90's when the training was so different.

I wish my son wasnt playing footy, its annoying

Yep Gina is with Northern Suburbs - I agree with Mirawee try and contact her for private lessons would be well worth it and probably suit your situation better than classes.

The only other slightly close option is I think Perth Training & Obedience Dog Club who train on Wednesday nights at Vic Park :) Also I think the RSPCA does classes in Malaga although I don't know when or the quality of their instructors from a competition point of view.

Midland dog club also train during the week I think. PM me if you need Gina's email addy, and yes she does advice trainers at Northern Suburbs, I'm on the committee there :)

Oh awesome, Im going to join Northern Suburbs after footy season is over but Id also love to possibly get a couple of sessions with Gina if possible. I will PM u :D

thx for the replies,much appreciated.

I think I will have to go for a few private sessions with either Gina or someone else who can do NOR, as much as Id love to join a club I dont think its realistic atm with footy on a Sunday, showing on a Saturday if theres one on, and Im going to do a show handling class at CAWA starting 2moro night. I will need a few of these because I have no idea how to show him either. So much to learn!!