New Lens For Nikon D5100

KumaAkita

I've done a search, but can't find what I'm after so I'm starting yet another what lens thread!

I have a Nikon D5100 which came with an 18-55mm kit lens and I added the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G to my stash. I love the 50mm, it's great. The kit lens is ok, but I would like to add a longer zoom to my bag. But, this begs the question... which one!!??

I'd like something that will be good for action shots, think dog parks and shows. Something that is a bit more flexible than the kit lens.

I've had a look at the lenses below, but I'm not sure if any of these are right of if there are others I could consider

Nikkor 55-200mm

Nikkor 55-300mm

Nikkor 70-300mm

Anyone able shed some light as to which would be the better way to go? I'm getting rather confused :confused:

Every lens will have a maximum aperture - f5.6 or f2.8 or f1.4 etc

This is how "fast" a lens is, how much light it can gather. Those lenses with wider maximum apertures are heavier, more expensive and work better in low light situations (1.4 is better than 2.8 which is better than 5.6). 2.8 is a lovely compromise on many lenses for great performance with reasonable weight (though generally still relatively high priced).

Check to see if Niko or one of the third parties (like Sigma) do a 70-200 2.8 or similar, it's a great range (and Sigma's Canon version is very very good). If you don't need the extra reach, Sigma's 50-150 2.8 is also great.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a search, but can't find what I'm after so I'm starting yet another what lens thread!

I have a Nikon D5100 which came with an 18-55mm kit lens and I added the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G to my stash. I love the 50mm, it's great. The kit lens is ok, but I would like to add a longer zoom to my bag. But, this begs the question... which one!!??

I'd like something that will be good for action shots, think dog parks and shows. Something that is a bit more flexible than the kit lens.

I've had a look at the lenses below, but I'm not sure if any of these are right of if there are others I could consider

Nikkor 55-200mm

Nikkor 55-300mm

Nikkor 70-300mm

Anyone able shed some light as to which would be the better way to go? I'm getting rather confused :confused:

The Nikon 70-300 VRII is a much faster focusing lens than the 55-200 and 55-300. I had the same predicament what to buy in a zoom for my D7000 and went with the 70-300 with great results, although the lens is quite heavy compared with the other two. The 70-300 is an FX lens which on a DX camera like the D5100/D7000 etc is actually a 105-450, the zoom in is awesome. I have always been advised that the Nikkor lenses are better than the aftermarket Sigma etc?

Edited by m-sass

I have the Nikkor 70-300 and I love it. I use it a lot and would use it even more often if I had a tripod good enough to hold the weight of it :o

Edited to add that I love to use this lens for portraits :) . Here are some pics I took at a family gathering over Easter, all taken with my D7000 and the 70-300mm lens.

Edited by gapvic

I actually copped out and bought the 55-200 cheapie I listed above. My rationale was that it was a good place to start and I can get a feel for how much I actually use a zoom lense. Also, if I ever got to sell my camera, I can sell it as a twin lens kit with the cheapie 18-55mm.

I'm going to save up for the 70-300 but wanted something to play with NOW! And at $175 was quite justifiable :laugh:

ETA: Beautiful shots gapvic!

Edited by KumaAkita

I have the Nikkor 70-300 and I love it. I use it a lot and would use it even more often if I had a tripod good enough to hold the weight of it :o

Edited to add that I love to use this lens for portraits :) . Here are some pics I took at a family gathering over Easter, all taken with my D7000 and the 70-300mm lens.

Lovely shots,thanks for sharing. I too was amazed at the versatility of the 70-300 lens, I love mine and apart from the weight of it, the stability without a tripod is excellent also, they are good value for money in quality versus price :)

I actually copped out and bought the 55-200 cheapie I listed above. My rationale was that it was a good place to start and I can get a feel for how much I actually use a zoom lense. Also, if I ever got to sell my camera, I can sell it as a twin lens kit with the cheapie 18-55mm.

I'm going to save up for the 70-300 but wanted something to play with NOW! And at $175 was quite justifiable :laugh:

ETA: Beautiful shots gapvic!

My D7000 came with the 18-105 lens also a lens in the cheapie bracket, but it's actually a good lens, same with the 18-55 for kit lenses, I think they do a fine job. The 18-105 was just too short for capturing good doggy shots on field where the 55-200 would be a great start, enjoy :)

Wow the photos are so sharp, looking at adding another lens but was dreaming about a 70-200 2.8! dreaming!! but maybe I should keep my eye open for a 2nd hand 70-300 like yours and keep on saving for the dream lens!