Miniature Shar Pei

Kajtek

We went to SASH today and saw 3 miniature Shar Peis. They were lovely.

Is this a recognized breed?

I had a look on Dogz Home Page and DOL and cannot find the info.

We also saw 2 Shiba Inus. OMG what a stunning dog!

Height should be 46-51 cms (18-20 ins) at withers...anything smaller than this is simply undersized, not a "miniature".

Thank you elz.

(There were 3 brush coat adults, the same height of ~ 35 cm. The owner said they were miniatures)

Height should be 46-51 cms (18-20 ins) at withers...anything smaller than this is simply undersized, not a "miniature".

Thank you elz.

(There were 3 brush coat adults, the same height of ~ 35 cm. The owner said they were miniatures)

And I suppose the owner would have told you they are very expensive. They are not a recognised breed and more then likely not a purebreed. If they are smaller then a proper Shar pei then chances are they are a mix of Sharpei and a different smaller breed.

We once had a person knock on our front door and wanted to know if we would be interested in using one of our males to mate with her pure mini Jack Russell. Apparently some vet told her it was a mini Jack Russell pure breed and so she thought it was a pure breed and wouldn't have it when it was pointed out that no such breed exists. Sometimes I think people will believe anything

Off topic- somebody once told me that a larma was a giraffe cross sheep, that was a science experiment. I believed them!!! I know pretty blonde of me, I googled it not long after , I surely did feel stupid. And one topic- no such thing as a miniature sharpei, my parents are getting a new sharpei puppy in 3 weeks, I love watching there wrinkles when they run :)

"Miniature shar pei" are popular in American. They are purpose bred to be no taller than a 2 litre coke bottle. They may be pure but are simply runt bred to runt and do not conform to the standard. With a breed that has so many health issues I am amazed and appalled that anyone would want to concentrate on breeding for a smaller size instead of concentrating on the more important other health and conformation issues.

Thank you for all the info :curtsey: Very interesting.

Ams, the owner said they were imported. There were 2 girls and one boy.

Melstar-36 thats why I asked DOL. There are plenty of references if you google them.

Edited by Kajtek

Like Ams I find this appalling and a disturbing development, and can second the comment on health issues from experience. Really struggling to understand why anyone would want to do this. I would think as a breed they are already over represented in rescue for their whole population numbers and can only see that getting worse if there is a crop of faddy handbag sized versions around. Such a shame they are amazing dogs.

When I was doing research with my mother about 6 years ago on the breed, you can get paint coloured ones, its not a recognized colour ( but i could be wrong, it happens every now and then) :) but it was interesting.

They are called "flowered". One of the original shar pei that was sent to America in 1978 when they were the rarest dog in the world, was a flowered. They are not recognised in Australia but I do believe it is a recognised colour in other parts of the world. There is actually a recognised 'pattern' that must be adhered to.

Bear coats are also a disqualifying fault but are not recognised anywhere in the world. They are the fluffy ones and are believed to be a throw back to the Chow Chow.