When Will Some Learn

Vacuna

Badly bred dogs + ignorant owners = trouble.

I totally agree :thumbsup: except many people seem not to like the idea of pressure being applied to the "badly bred dogs component", unfortunately when the ignorant/irresponsible owner surfaces it's too late, their dog has already done the damage :confused:

IMHO, it's time control was placed upon dog breeding in general to eliminate the present structure which is ultimately a free for all, do as you please situation. It's the breeders of crap dogs faced the music, if you breed rubbish from randomly putting a male and female together that ends up a landshark which comes from a BYB NFI basis, their breeding of dogs needs to be formally stopped. Dog breeding on a do what ever you like basis is rediculous that it's been allowed to go on for so long :mad

It's a nice thought but it is pie in the sky stuff. How do you enforce dog breeding practices? They can't enforce the current laws they have now. I would prefer to see more education and involvement of the community.

First there needs to be laws controlling dog breeding practices, perhaps a council permit to breed would be a good start.

Yep, like Gold Coast City Council have. That works.... :mad

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are laws that all dogs sold have to be microchipped yet the notice board at the local shop still have bullarab for $200 good hunting parents no mention of vac or chip,cattle /border collie mixes $50 i guarantee they are not chipped, kittens give-away chipped ? pfft noway and cav x pug chipped not vac $500 (imagine the possible probs with that cross and no health checks :eek: .

The council can see these notices, obtain their numbers to see if they parents registered chipped and so forth but don't this is the same with gumtree and trading post. What makes anyone think that more laws, higher fees and any restriction will help. To some degree i don't even think education will work. Some people just don't care plain and simple. To them a $50 dog or a free cat is disposable.

Responsible breeders will be legislated out of existence before laws have any effect on the ignorant and plain irresponsible. Councils that already have Breeding permits simply do not enforce them as is evident by the sheer numbers of byb pups and kittens that appear on notice boards and in the press and social media daily. The microchipping legislation is another that is

ignored daily.

First there needs to be laws controlling dog breeding practices, perhaps a council permit to breed would be a good start.

Oh yes, that would stop the bogans dead in their tracks.

Bad owners don't obey the laws NOW, why make more and more and more laws which won't be policed but which WILL stop law abiding caring breeders from breeding?

And don't say it won't because as soon as you make a law that you need a permit to do something there is a fee attached - and many small-scale breeders simply cannot afford yet another fee on top of the costs they have now for the "privilege" of breeding a litter once every four or five years.

Plus most of these laws are made by people who have no clue in the world about breeding dogs and they end up with rediculous requirements such as someone with two chihuahuas having a litter once every three years needs to build a $150,000 "breeding facility" to get a permit to do so.

Permits and similar restrictions just opens the gate to large scale puppy farmers - which is the worst thing in the world for companion animals.

The answer is education not legislation - always has been.

Laws being in place and the laws being policed are two different things the two need to go hand in hand to be effective, that's a given.

A permit to breed dogs IMHO is a good thing, there is no need for just anyone having the rights to breed dogs, it needs to be controlled. A breeding permit can have any criteria required, it could restrict puppy farming and it's not the cost of the permit say $50.00 per year, but it's the criteria to obtain a permit that matters. Sure bogans will still breed dogs without a permit and they need to knock them off for doing so $1000 fine first offence which doubles from then on. A permit system would stop many people breeding dogs who shouldn't be doing so as as far as the small scale breeder if they can't afford $50 for the permit, they can't afford anything to go wrong in the breeding either in that case that requires a bit more money for dog's welfare, can they really afford to breed dogs anyway??

As soon as I see someone referring to dogs as "landsharks", I immediately treat their replies with utter contempt, because they are obviously drones of Hugh Wirthless & not someone who is a real dog lover. :mad

Edited by mantis

Laws being in place and the laws being policed are two different things the two need to go hand in hand to be effective, that's a given.

But that's the rub though isn't it?

Drink driving, speeding, running red lights and stop signs, illegal u-turns are also against the law and how often is this policed? Not every offender is caught -- I'd wager that almost 98% of speeders never get caught by police.

If you're going to put breeding laws in place how would this be policed? What's to stop a BYB from shuffling the bitch and pups all over the neighbourhood to stop from being caught?

I agree that far more education is required -- the amount of owners I've seen who want to breed their "special <insert wimpy dog name>" on the basis that she's so cute and will make cute babies. They'd have no idea what's involved.

I also don't understand how these numpties can deal with a bitch in heat. I look after my dogs but at this stage of my life I could never look after an entire bitch.

Another issue with aggressive dogs is the amount of numpty male owners who won't desex their male dogs because it plays on their own masculinity. I don't get it. Just because your dog is neutered doesn't make you any less male. This image of neutered dogs needs to change.

Another issue with aggressive dogs is the amount of numpty male owners who won't desex their male dogs because it plays on their own masculinity. I don't get it. Just because your dog is neutered doesn't make you any less male. This image of neutered dogs needs to change.

Most hormonal aggression found in a male dog occurs in face of a bitch on heat, otherwise the desexing fixes aggression tale is nonesense, in fact with a fear aggressive dog, desexing can make it worse. Typically, aggressive dogs are desexed and trained similtaneously with improvements in behaviour and the idea of the desexing providing the improvement is the training that made the difference. A dog with a learned behaviour of aggression outside of the exposure to a bitch on heat will make no difference in behaviour by desexing and training will beat the snip hands down.

A permit to breed dogs IMHO is a good thing, there is no need for just anyone having the rights to breed dogs, it needs to be controlled. A breeding permit can have any criteria required, it could restrict puppy farming and it's not the cost of the permit say $50.00 per year, but it's the criteria to obtain a permit that matters. Sure bogans will still breed dogs without a permit and they need to knock them off for doing so $1000 fine first offence which doubles from then on. A permit system would stop many people breeding dogs who shouldn't be doing so as as far as the small scale breeder if they can't afford $50 for the permit, they can't afford anything to go wrong in the breeding either in that case that requires a bit more money for dog's welfare, can they really afford to breed dogs anyway??

It may be a given but it doesn't happen. Dog registration has been law for a long time, plenty of unregistered dogs out there.

No one legislated puppy schools and dog obedience but they are becoming more and more popular, this has been through education.