Motel Refuses Entry To Blind Man With Guide Dog.

MarieC

Zeebie, do you have a link to the new Australian legislation you mentioned? To my knowledge there isn't an Australia wide ID card (yet) and only Qld, SA and WA have state ID cards. NSW and VIC have an Assistance Animal Pass.

Correct :)

I should have typed QLD legislation not AUSTRALIAN, the wheels of progress work very slowly and at least we have made a small dent and hopefully it has a positive ripple effect.

so reading the NSW & Vic assist animal pass requirements I wonder if I visited with my QLD certified and ID complient dog if they would kick me off for not having one of their particular passes hmmmm Mental note, make sure if intending to visit other states to get border pass FIRST LOL.

We can jet all over the country without a problem but seems we can't travel on NSW & Victorian public transport very

strange :(

There in lies the problem of why we need a NATIONAL criteria. :thumbsup:

I think that is so wrong :( shame on the motel!!!!

I can understand business owners getting annoyed at people trying to sneak a dog into their business, but it's not hard for the business to check politely to see if it is a guide dog.

I have people bring there dogs into the ice cream shops all the time and I ha e to ask them to leave if they make a fuss I just tell them it's agenced the law, I also had someone try to pull "oh but it's a guild dog" I just apolagized and said " I'm sorry but he's not wearing anything to say he is a guild dog do you have a ID card?" he went out and tied his dog up and came back for icecream. :( I have had 2 blind people with dogs come in and the dogs have there proper harness and guild dog gear on so are easy to identify with out even asking for a card :)

• 4 weeks later...

Someone who has an accredited assistance dog does have the same rights as a guide dog. in Australia the vests usually have service dog written on it however I have seen some that have companion dog unfortunately Aust law isnt great at explaining assistance dog and companion dogs

Usually though a companion dog is only used around the home even if it is certified. assistance animals do have public access rights and handlers are given a identification card and the dogs are required to be wearing their vests or jackets that identifies them.

Usually though a companion dog is only used around the home even if it is certified. assistance animals do have public access rights and handlers are given a identification card and the dogs are required to be wearing their vests or jackets that identifies them.

Not quite correct.

An AD is still an AD even if it only works in the home. Companion animals are a different issue and don't have the same rights of access.

ADs from organisations are usually required to wear that organisation's vest or gear and will have that organisation's ID. For those who have applied through the QLD, SA or WA state government for recognition will have an ID card. Those who have applied for the NSW or VIC assistance animal pass will have an ID card. However, there will be ADs that don't have a government or organisation card but do have the same rights of access as a guide dog and do not legally have to wear a vest or other equipment that identifies them as such.

Someone who has an accredited assistance dog does have the same rights as a guide dog. in Australia the vests usually have service dog written on it however I have seen some that have companion dog unfortunately Aust law isnt great at explaining assistance dog and companion dogs

ADs do not need to be accredited to have the same access rights.

I think that is so wrong :( shame on the motel!!!!

I can understand business owners getting annoyed at people trying to sneak a dog into their business, but it's not hard for the business to check politely to see if it is a guide dog.

I have people bring there dogs into the ice cream shops all the time and I ha e to ask them to leave if they make a fuss I just tell them it's agenced the law, I also had someone try to pull "oh but it's a guild dog" I just apolagized and said " I'm sorry but he's not wearing anything to say he is a guild dog do you have a ID card?" he went out and tied his dog up and came back for icecream. :( I have had 2 blind people with dogs come in and the dogs have there proper harness and guild dog gear on so are easy to identify with out even asking for a card :)

You can certainly ask if the dog is an assistance dog and ask for evidence that the dog is trained to an appropriate standard of hygiene and behaviour for working in a public place. Please note though that not all ADs will have a government or organisation ID.

I fully agree with the name and shame idea.

This way if we are travelling in that area we can miss them like a barge pole.

I know I would not want to stop there.

If that is what they are like.