Need Help With My First Show

I will be entering myself and my 7mo siberian husky girl into a show in irskine park, and wish to learn all thats needed to successfully show!

I would like to learn the tips and tricks on how to win the judges heart, how to properly stack my husky and how to teach her to be in control of her actions (not jump all around like she does at home)

She goes to regular obedience training and she is the best in her class, when she is outside of the home, most times she is on her best behaviour! i've grown great trust in her outside of the home and when im feeling confident she goes off the lead and comes straight back.

I also have learnt how competitive showing is, and that if there is a contestant that is also a judge, then you pretty much should just give up. i was wondering if theres a way around that too so i have a chance with my girl

Thanks for your help :)

Demmi

Hey Demmi,

I remember what is was like when i was new to showing. Everything seemed so complicated,and knowledge was hard to come by.

there's no real tricks and tips i can tell you to 'win the judge's heart' other than having your dog as well trained as possible (like free-standing if possible, where you are out in front of your dog, and your dog is stacking itself), and presenting yourself as professionally as you can. You don't have to go all out, but dress appropriately.

At 7 months old, I would be starting to try and get your dog free-stacking if you have tackled gaiting and hand-stacking. Its not exactly easy, but its easier if you start in stages. For example, start by training her to stack with you moving her legs into the right position, and only reward when she is standing that way. then slowly start taking a step away, giving the command 'stay' and only reward when she is standing EXACTLY how you want her to free stand.

As for being in the ring with judges, it happens pretty much all the time. I never worry about it really, as there is nothing you can do about it. I never give up though. I must admit sometimes you walk into a group or class in group line up with certain people who are also judges, and you think 'oh well they will probably win' but it doesn't happen ALL the time, and if you were to think that way, you would give up and not show at all. Never give up, just show your dog to the best of its ability and your in with a chance. The most important thing to remember is NO ONE IS UNBEATABLE, even when you lose time after time. Quite honestly, you will probably lose more than you win, and you really have to show because you enjoy the showing, not the winning.

don't believe everything you hear.

At the recent Sydney Royal I was told two "facts". Which dog was going to win a particular group and which dog was going to win Best in Show. The one for group was shortlisted but not placed let alone win. The BIS winning dog didn't even win it's group.

Every time I have been told such and such a dog will win, it hasn't. The gossip has been wrong every time. I'm sure there are times the gossip is right but I have yet to hear/see it.

Which is different to having a good guess on who will win a class etc, usually those people have the best dogs so yes they often win but it is not always a given.

GE - the best advice I can give you - a judge will judge your dog on the day....it is only his or her opinion for that day. Show without high expectations - you have selected a very competitive breed - esp for a new comer - so don't expect to win your class let alone BOB. Enjoy the day out, meet some people and spend time with your pooch.....anything beyond that is a bonus.......

GE - the best advice I can give you - a judge will judge your dog on the day....it is only his or her opinion for that day. Show without high expectations - you have selected a very competitive breed - esp for a new comer - so don't expect to win your class let alone BOB. Enjoy the day out, meet some people and spend time with your pooch.....anything beyond that is a bonus.......

+1 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi Demmi! I started out only 8 months ago - but I found reading the Show FAQ was helpful, watching a few shows before I started and also show classes with a Luci Ellem. Remember to have fun! :)

Thanks for that! i will definately check out the show FAQ. i am going to watch some shows soon so ill be making sure i meet lots of new people :)

Thanks everyone for all your replys! It really helps when people who are very experienced helps me out!

As i am just learning now, any tips help a great deal!

As for getting my pup to free-stack, i will deffinately start teaching her that, she picks things up really well so i bet it wont be TOO long till she has the hang of it!

Also i guess it does actually depend on THE DOG, not particularly the person most times. I deffinately wont be dissapointed if she does win, ill just be proud as i can be that she is actually having fun with it and learning aswell

Youtube is a big tick in my todo list and ill definately check out videos on how to :)

My pup is very special to me, and she will definately please me for just enjoying herself!

Thankyou all again for the help!! i hope to see any of you at a show one day!

:) Demmi

Yes, free-stacking is the way to go, especially if it's suitable for your breed. Don't get too concerned with speculations over which handler or what dog a judge will favour, or if other exhibitors are judges. I've only witnessed blatant favouritism a couple of times, and it seems to happen less often than legitimate judging. I may be wrong, after all I don't watch everything with an eagle eye...:)