Need Advice From Camera Experts

Charjas

Hi. Need some camera advice and noticed some members post some extraordinary pics. My husband and I are the worst at choosing a camera as we simply don't know what all the specs etc mean. We have 2 video cameras hardly used and I have 2 Olympus cameras 8 and 10 megapixel I think which I'm not terribly happy with as the colours are never right. Several years ago we bought a Canon Powershot Pro1. About 8 megapixel seemed to be a good camera although didn't have different lenses so when we took shots of kids surfing they were still too small. Camera had very little use as we mostly forget to take it with us and we are very careful with our things so was always in bag and never put down where it would get dirty etc. In 2008 I was going on a cruise and decided to pack the rarely used camera. On checking the lens wouldn't zoom out. Just made a whirring sound. Canon said it would be $600 to fix . Camera cost$1500 at the time. We decided not to fix as could prob get a better one by now. What a waste though. The camera looks like new. Th dilemma is should we get it fixed. Or buy something else? If we buy something I have no clue about what to get. Should I try to sell the other n eBay ? Or just chuck it? I'm not a hoarder but to throw out something that cost so much just seems obscene.

We don't do anything special with out photos other than download them onto the computer ad then usually forget them. I like the idea of some those books you can make online using your photos. I pu some pics of Charle and Jasper in the poodle thread the other day but they are so small and would like to take better photos Thanks in anticipation.

Hi.

I'm no expert ... just love taking photos in a simple way :

it can be difficult getting a camera with which you're comfortable :) Everyone has their own favourites - the camera which produces what is appealing , or what meets your quality standards .

I am a point/shoot /compact camera lover ...no changing lenses, etc. :o

Currently I am in love with /desiring of , one of THESE , a nifty little canon ..easy to use, a great zoom capacity, and small enough to put in a pocket :)

here are some dog photos taken by folks using this camera CLICK HERE

May I also suggest you have a look thru articles which interest you on THIS SITE

Edited by persephone

Can you give us more information:

- budget

- what you are going to take photos of

- how willing you are to fiddle with changing lenses

- how willing you are to fiddle with changing settings

In a nutshell:

IF I wanted something that was just take out of the box and use -> Canon SD range or the 300/500

IF I wnated something that was also waterproof/rugged -> Panasonic TS3

IF I wanted something that was just take out of the box and use but had some options -> Canon G series or 95/100 or SX series

IF I wanted something that would let me have all the choice in the world, but that meant I had to commit to some learning time and bigger clunker gear -> entry level Canon Rebel

1335734920[/url]' post='5816791']

Can you give us more information:

- budget

- what you are going to take photos of

- how willing you are to fiddle with changing lenses

- how willing you are to fiddle with changing settings

In a nutshell:

IF I wanted something that was just take out of the box and use -> Canon SD range or the 300/500

IF I wnated something that was also waterproof/rugged -> Panasonic TS3

IF I wanted something that was just take out of the box and use but had some options -> Canon G series or 95/100 or SX series

IF I wanted something that would let me have all the choice in the world, but that meant I had to commit to some learning time and bigger clunker gear -> entry level Canon Rebel

Thank you for your reply. We were quite happy with the canon Powershot but just uncertain whether to get it fixed. Not sure if you can change lens on it . My two Olympus are mju840/ 8 megapixel and mju9000/ /12 megapixel. The smaller one is what I use. The bigger one is quite new but has been back to Olympus twice under warranty as lens wouldnt open and then was replaced. This one I'm not happy with as the colours are not true. I only use auto as don't know enough about settings. The Powershot though did have good pictures. I'm guessing the canon G series is a few steps up? Think we bought the Powershot around 2005 . We did have a waterproof camera years ago but it's not a necessity now as my husband has a go pro for dirt biking and it has the waterproof housing option. I actually think my iPhone takes better photos than my Olympus . Will just have to research more.

Not a fan of the Olympus mju cameras - agree the photos aren't great from those models.

I would not pay $600 to have it repaired - you can buy a fabulous little Canon brand new for half that (or 1/4 that if you go with the SD series). Yes, the G series is a few steps up the range - lots more control and features, bigger (not a pocket camera), and more expensive. I'd probably search for a gently used G9 if I were going to go that way, though the new ones are very nice.

You'd know if you could change lenses ;) and none of the powershot series are interchangeable lenses.

Thanks. Had a look at the G series. Might look into selling my Olympus models . What would be a good camera to compare to those?

Actually like the canon SX260HS. 12 megapixel. 20x zoom. Does anyone have that model ? So sick of buying cameras then not happy with pics.

Edited by Charjas

Thanks. Had a look at the G series. Might look into selling my Olympus models . What would be a good camera to compare to those?

Actually like the canon SX260HS. 12 megapixel. 20x zoom. Does anyone have that model ? So sick of buying cameras then not happy with pics.

The is a Canon SX 40 (I think 40 is the latest model) is a upgrade on my point and shoot and has a massive zoom on it. Just when you use the massive zoom to the extreme you have to hold the camera very very still (and hold breathe) as the slightest movement can cause camera shake but thats the same for all cameras.

Found it http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/Digital-Cameras/PowerShot-SX40-HS

Edited by rubiton

just remember - it is not all the camera too - one of the biggest bugbears is people thinking that the photo is all the camera, just like saying t a painter that your brush paints a nice picture. There is a lot more to it than that, like learning to read light, learning composition, learning what settings to use to capture what you want - juts using the same model doesn't guarantee you can capture art like what some photographers are capable of.

As to whether you should get the camera fixed, if it is more than 12 months old, sorry, they are like mobile phones, technology changing that fast that old models become obsolete very fast, and you would be unlikely to get much more than the money it would cost you to fix if that - why would someone pay so much for that when they could get something brnad new? Hurts I know, but that is life now - when you buy a camera, you are never going to get money back for it down the track, unlike the old film bodies, where there was not that much change going on. As to what to get now, agree with everything that KJA said - if you just want something to pick up and go, you are unlikely to want an SLR that is going to need lenses being carried and changed, a point and shoot may be more your go

Yes , although I like the idea of what the bigger camera can do I know when we go out its who wants to carry it. I phoned my local 'camera house' store and asked about some models. He said its not always the megapixel and zoom but the type of lens. He said choice magazine had recommended NikonP300 . So confusing. Anyway gives me something to do while I'm not working. Wish there was a thread on 'teachers waiting for permanent employment ' or ' cheap v experienced'. I'd be a busy forum poster.

Edited by Charjas

Thanks. I have been browsing dpreview but even though it gives all the specs it's still hard to really know what it all means. I know you don't have to keep increasing megapixelbut I thought zoom was a consideration yet, the Nikon p300 is smaller zoom than say canon sx260. Then there was. You tube comparison of Nikon p300 and canon S95. Dear me I've opened a can of worms.

Edited by Charjas

Don't overthink it :) There are a few good little p+s cameras around (the Panasonic lumix is my choice). Go and play with a few in the shops, but don't get hung up on mp and zoom - like snook said, it's more about optical zoom and the quality of the lens. I'd say the majority of good images you are seeing on this forum were taken by people with dslrs who have had a lot of practice. Point and shoots have their limits (like shutter lag and shooting in low light), but if you accept that and learn a little bit about using light, I'm sure you will be happy with any of the recommended models.

I'd say the majority of good images you are seeing on this forum were taken by people with dslrs who have had a lot of practice. Point and shoots have their limits (like shutter lag and shooting in low light), but if you accept that and learn a little bit about using light, I'm sure you will be happy with any of the recommended models.

:thumbsup:

Also - you can have the best lens and nicest looking camera, but , if it doesn't 'fit' your hands, and the controls are confusing , you have wasted your money .

You would be wise to handle several cameras ... and find one that you immediately feel comfortable with . :)