Scallywags Dog Rescue Important Information

From the original facebook page

My name is Tash, around 15 months ago I belonged to White Shepherd Rescue Australia, a wonderful group dedicated to the rehoming of a wonderful breed.

Fortunately for us and the breed, at the time, we did not have a lot to do so I came up with the idea of starting an all breeds rescue group. When I was the coordiantor of WSRA, I invited a lady called Lynda Smith to join our team as a foster carer. Lynda was excellent with dogs, patient and kind, assisting these dogs in becoming the best that they could be. I liked her style so I got her on the team.

I was speaking to Lynda one night about the wasted resources we had at WSRA and our ability to do more. With full support of the team I invited Lynda to join me on my journey to set up an all breeds dog rescue. I found another lady along the way, Karen, she helped us set up some contacts also, she is no longer with us.

There was a huge job in front of us and every spare moment I had, I put in to the group. I built a website, developed policies, systems, finances, contacts networks, documents, online forms and this facebook page. I decided Lynda was a calm and intelligent individual who would make a good president, so I appointed her as that. I was experienced as a group coordiantor due to my background knowledge and leadership skills so that was my role on top of the overwhelming amount of systems that continually needed work.

We then madly started to recruit foster carers with a tiny little base. It was so difficult in the early days, we worked 16 hour days to get things going. There was a need for more help and fast.

I asked a lady who I knew from dog club if she could foster a dog for me. her name was Trudy. Trudy showed a lot of dedication to her role as a foster carer, so I asked her on to the team to help with some paperwork. She was very efficient so I made her our secretary. I also invited another foster carer i recruited on to the team to help in the Western Region. Her name is Maryanne.

So, we started to build slowly. I saw potential in a foster carer called Anna, she helped with setting up as a charity.

I took a call from a rescue fan one day called Ruth. She started to help us with donations. We developed a friendship so I put her on the team to help with the bookeeping, she is now treasurer.

Then there was the lovely Joy Martin, a passionate, intelligent animal welfare advocate, so I snapped her up straight away to help with marketing.

It was a massive amount of work to train all these members for their roles as they had never been in rescue before, and there is a huge amount to learn!!

Ruth then developed a friendship with a lady who adopted a dog from us and decided she would be a good foster care coordiantor, so she put her on the team a few months back. Her name is Julie.

Scallywags turned 1, 2 weeks ago. I am so proud of what I created but it is time for me to go. My goal was to create an ethical, transparent, and professional team. Most of the team is still here and hopefully continues to save lives in the way I set it up, responsibly and ethically.

I hope the members continue to educate themselves, grow and learn from others.

I would like to thank the past members for their contributions to date, with special thanks to the wonderful Naomi Jones for all of her support and dedication to rescue as a whole.

Sad to announce that the wonderful Joy Martin resigned form the committee yesterday, a huge loss. xx

I no longer have any association with Scallywags Dog Rescue, its members or its dogs. I thankyou from the botom of my heart for all of your wonderful support and for allowing me to create my dream of saving the lives of 100's of dogs. Please continue to support dog rescue. Foster, donate, task assist. There are some excellent Victorian Rescue Groups all worthy of support. Thankyou so much for everything. I will be floating around the Victorian rescue system, so please if you want assistance do not hesitate to contact me [email protected] Farewell, and love you all xx

Thank you to everyone at Scallywags, especially as you so kindly reached out and helped the two whippets boys that Iggy Rescue took a week ago.

Rescue is very hard work, financially and emotionally draining and I'm sure many of us regularly contemplate giving it up to go back to a more normal life, I know I do.

Thanks for all you did Tash and for all you achieved for the abandoned dogs.

I hope that the remaining team at Scallywags will continue their good work in Victoria and you'll continue to go on to share your learnings and skills and help dogs in need.

Best of luck!

Thank you to everyone at Scallywags, especially as you so kindly reached out and helped the two whippets boys that Iggy Rescue took a week ago.

Rescue is very hard work, financially and emotionally draining and I'm sure many of us regularly contemplate giving it up to go back to a more normal life, I know I do.

Thanks for all you did Tash and for all you achieved for the abandoned dogs.

I hope that the remaining team at Scallywags will continue their good work in Victoria and you'll continue to go on to share your learnings and skills and help dogs in need.

Best of luck!

May I second that?

A big DITTO from me Tash...

T.