Chewing Feet Bad!

OK here goes,

My golden came inside before and was constantly chewing on her front and back feet( mostly back) ..It got so bad that her fur started turning red, and her skin inflammed, i couldn't get a great look as she wouldn't let me near it.. Shes chewing like it's itchy.

Her diet hasn't changed and she hasn't had a problem with it so far?

What could it be?? :laugh:

Could be an infection like tinea.

One of my girls had it a while ago on a front paw....chewed it absolutely red raw. We got some cream from the vets and she had to wear a sock for 1/2 an hour so she wouldnt lick the cream off, and it healed up pretty quickly.

or she could of been bitten by a green ant between her toes.

Edited by MissMonaro

ah ha! thankyou westie lover!

Before i go to the vets a man suggested to put her on Medi-cal Gastro Formula..It literally is boiled hamburgers mixed with rice and after 4 days if i see the reaction settling, then after bringing her diet slowly back in it starts to arise again, its her diet. If this is wrong and i dont have these plants, im going to the vets.

Before i go to the vets a man suggested to put her on Medi-cal Gastro Formula..It literally is boiled hamburgers mixed with rice and after 4 days if i see the reaction settling, then after bringing her diet slowly back in it starts to arise again, its her diet. If this is wrong and i dont have these plants, im going to the vets.

:laugh::shrug::rofl::o

I just don't see how this would work.... If she is allergic to anything in the food this person recommends then you will stil see a reaction.... Better to consult with your vet and get a referral to a dermatologist....

Don't rely on steroids or other things that treat symptoms without adressing the underlying issue...

Dogs often don't develop allergies until 1.5 years or older.....

I have an extreme allergic dog - pm me if you want more info... or talk to Rappie who is a vet intern with dermatological experience....

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

OOOPS ABZ :laugh: I meant the plant Wandering Dew not the liquid kind :shrug: . If you don't have the plant or anything obvious I would consult your Vet, The net is wonderful but "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and caution should be taken with self diagnosis. I hope you work it out though.

Cheers,

Corine

he said allergy tests can be a hell of alot of money!

Hmmm still deciding on what to do keep chucking ideas at me!

Yep, they sure can be... We've spent well in excess of $12,000 on Zayda... But I suppose it comes down to if you think it is worth spending the money on them....

My dogs are my kids and my responsability and I would never shirk their treatments for considerations of money (they get stuff at my expense - "I can live without X because Zayda NEEDS this...").

Not everyone can do this... but that is just the way I feel.... seeing Zayda happy and healthy only confirms that for me :laugh:

Cheers,

Dan

Allergy testing is not painful for the dog. The Dermatologist gives the dog a light sedative then pin pricks the skin with allergens to see if any reaction.It is called Intradermal skin testing.

Need to speak to your Vet.

I agree with the others , the "hamburger" thing could create more problems.

What state are you in?

Allergy testing is not painful for the dog. The Dermatologist gives the dog a light sedative then pin pricks the skin with allergens to see if any reaction.It is called Intradermal skin testing.

Need to speak to your Vet.

Yep.... the allergy its self is more painful for the dog....... Once you know what they are allergic to (if it is an allergy) then you can control it and the secondary infections they get from it.... a much happier dog :laugh:

ETA: This is one of those areas where taking short cuts and not seeking professional help can and will end up costing you much more money than doing it right the first time.... the cost is not only financial but emotional and physical in cost too....

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

Try washing her feet in Malaseb (leave on for ten minutes) then dry well. My little guy used to get this all the time, from going outside damp grass, etc.... then it turned in to a habit for him. He stained where he licked all the time etc...... I washed his feet in Malaseb twice a week and it eventually cleared up for good after only a few washes.

One of our dogs used to do this and have red inflamed webbing between his toes , often during summer.

vet suggested using Iodine liquid , dabbed on the areas and it worked a treat , vet was quite sure is was a tinea/allergy type of reaction.

Iodine is very hard to come by now , but try your vet .

Its a red liquid so be sure to apply it outdoors and let it dry , or it can stain carpets etc.

also ,

Apple Cider Vinegar is great too, cheap and antiseptic , I use it myself both on heat rashes (diluted in warm water , so soothing ) and dab it on insect bites and drink it with my orange juice for gout and godknows what else is wrong with me :laugh::shrug:

Edited by Christina77

I don't think you need to go to that extent yet!!! Your dog probably has a yeast infection of his feet - like althete's foot etc. Does he get his feet wet a lot? Dogs get a reaction to many of the purple coloured plants - check your garden for them - not purple flowers but the ones with waxy purple and green leaves. (like rhoeo).

If you have these type plants in your garden you are best off just pulling them out.

You can get Iodine in chemists and pet shops. In chemists is it Betadine.. in pet shops and produce stores - Quit Itch.

post-22-1111723842.jpg

Edited by blacklabrador

[Yep, they sure can be... We've spent well in excess of $12,000 on Zayda... But I suppose it comes down to if you think it is worth spending the money on them....

I have started down this path with my Westie. He had the allergy testing done in January and has been on 2 different antibiotics, maleseb washing and soothe alternatively every second day.

He's also on phenergen, the allergy injections and now is on small doses of prednisolone. His diet has been altered to vegies and roo meat.

Whilst I have noticed a bit of a change in him, he still chews and scratches and is still losing hair, although not as bad.

So far I think i've spent around $1800.

I'm just interested to know how long Zayda has been on the treatment for and have you considered it worth it.

I have been told it will take a year of treatment and then it's only a 60% guarantee of succes, but like you, I have to try anything to make him comfortable.

If this doesn't work my next step is Naturapathy.

Would be interested in your experience.

:laugh: