First Time Shooting Raw

piper

Argh, no idea what I did but I just lost what I had done. Restarting now and I think I will just put 1 or 2 per post so that I don't have to redo as much if it loses it.

These were edited in Lightroom, I think I over did them and am thinking I will go back and tone some down. Areas of the park are very shady and others are full sun while others are dappled light. Some of these were quite underexposed and i was surprised how much I could bring back but when I look at them now I think I took them too far. I also managed to change my af settings n my playing around and not realise for the first half of the walk so I ended with lots of out of focus shots :(

7231665702_0b617f02f3_z.jpg

The next 2 were taken on same settings but edited slightly differently

7231664740_b71e1f1831_z.jpg

7231664938_f85fd59010_z.jpg

Poor Piper has to deal with this stalking her:

7231669298_1bbe0661f2_z.jpg

7231669558_2efd73b9f1_z.jpg

The next 1 I prefer, I dropped the blue down a fraction compared to the 1 above. And when I look at the above 1 no I can see a slight blue tinge across the white on her muzzle.

7231669792_6288be9ab7_z.jpg

This 1 was quite under exposed - I was in the sun and Piper in fairly deep shade

7231670392_1b622111c0_z.jpg

Not as sharp as I would like...

7231668910_a8e6d2032a_z.jpg

Quite happy with this 1 given she was running at me.

7231667472_3eb7b0cee1_z.jpg

The processing is very natural and SOOC looking, not overdone at all.

I would try and shoot at another time of day - avoiding black holes for eyes and pain in the butt shadows.

(Says she who just spend a few hours shooting at MPW smack in the middle of the day).

Thanks Huga. I know it wasn't best time of day - it was a spur of the moment decision. I have been wanting to do it for ages and I had an OHS&W report I was supposed to be writing so suddenly walking the dogs and taking photos became VERY appealing, lol.

I thought some looked a bit over sharpened and harsh. If anything most of them I dropped the saturation down and then boosted the shadows.

I don't think you've overdone them at all. I love how vibrant most of them are. In your first post I love the first and third ones and I really love the ones with the blue sky! Editing is a very subjective and personal thing but for me personally, the second one in the first post and the first one in the second post look a bit too flat and washed out. I'd much prefer to see them looking like the others in the first two posts. I really like some of the shots in the last two posts but again, for me personally I'd prefer them to look more vibrant. I'm sure other people will have different opinions though, which is the great thing about photography. :)

Shooting with RAW is so much better though. It gives you so much more to work with and adjust without it looking fake or overdone. :thumbsup:

Thanks Snook. The blue sky was unreal. And Piper was particularly helpful in standing there for me, Jazz wasn't so keen to so I gave in on her as she looked miserable, lol.

It is interested the differences in opinion and I guess that is what makes us all unique :)

I was definitely impressed with how well I could recover very dark images and really push the shadows to get the details out without it looking flat.

Gorgeous photos of just stunning pooches! The vidid blue sky I'm totally in love with!! I agree with Snook in trying another time of day to shoot, but I also know sometimes it's just at a moments notice and you run with it!

That was huga, not me. ;-)

ooops, sorry! That'll teach me to try and use my memory! LOL Sorry Snook!

I agree with Huga...

MnDM

We went for a drive today and I decided to try my hand at a couple of landscapes, not something I normally take and I left the camera on raw. I have to say the detail and shrapness is so much better and I love the way I can bring so much more detail out of the shadows. Here are todays efforts.

Copper mine ruins

7278092490_7998ed92ba_z.jpg

I think the next 1 is my favourite. View from a lookout in Burra.

7278091154_44a453f52e_z.jpg

And a Clare valley vineyard (Annies Lane). i dont think I got the colours right in this - it looks a bit yellow to me when I look at it again.

7278090448_c050ceb998_z.jpg