Going To Bed Without Chewing Stitches

Poor Bella's in an Elizabethan collar at the moment to keep her from chewing stitches on the bottom of her foot. Previously she had a bandage on that went up her leg, but it wasn't replaced as it's caused a sore on her leg. :(

The problem is, Bella won't put her head down to rest with the cone on and won't even attempt to move to get herself comfortable. I really don't know how she's to sleep tonight with it on. :(

Are there any ideas anyone can suggest to keep her stitches safe during the night (she chews her feet while self-grooming) so she can get some sleep? Maybe a small bandage just over her foot?

When my pup was desexed I put a temporary dressing on her wound overnight, because she wouldn't rest with the collar on either. Just a breathable non-stick dressing, with some wound tape that went far enough around her belly that she couldn't rip it off. Maybe can you try something similar, just for overnight?

When Indi had a similar injury, we used an old sock to loosely cover his foot, taped at the top. He couldn't nibble at the stitches, and it did allow airflow to the wound as well.

Agree with InSha-llah. I have found that Salukis tend to work their way around elizabethan collars eventually anyway, they are very flexible and leggy. In these situations I've also taken myself off with the dog to the spare bedroom, made it clear to the dog I don't want them to chew, and then slept with them on the bed. Might depend how light a sleeper you are, but this was enough to stop Jadir messing with his stitches last year. Good luck, give her a pat for me.

Guest donatella

Is she a chewer? Some dogs are ok with stitches anyway.

My girl will chew the house to pieces but I refused a collar when she was desexed and she never touched her sutures and the lasted the full 7 days. I know the collars are necessary for some but I don't like them.

Agree with InSha-llah. I have found that Salukis tend to work their way around elizabethan collars eventually anyway, they are very flexible and leggy. In these situations I've also taken myself off with the dog to the spare bedroom, made it clear to the dog I don't want them to chew, and then slept with them on the bed. Might depend how light a sleeper you are, but this was enough to stop Jadir messing with his stitches last year. Good luck, give her a pat for me.

I was going to suggest this, I ended up with no sleep but at least we had an in tact wound in the morning!

Before having it stitched up she wouldn't chew her foot if it had a sock and small small bandage, I'm hoping she'll be fine with that tonight. She's been sleeping at the end of my bed recently and I never go to asleep until after she is, so I think we should be fine. Fingers crossed!

Try a basket muzzel.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Basket-Style-Cage-Dog-Muzzle-Size-1-/170798249388

Smooch wears one every night as he has a sore on his leg that he won't leave alone,he only licks when I am asleep or when I can't see him.

My kelpie does the same thing ie licks when we are not at home. Did this basket muzzle stop your dog licking his leg - I am worried that a dog could get his tongue through the gaps in the mask. thank you.

Try a basket muzzel.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Basket-Style-Cage-Dog-Muzzle-Size-1-/170798249388

Smooch wears one every night as he has a sore on his leg that he won't leave alone,he only licks when I am asleep or when I can't see him.

My kelpie does the same thing ie licks when we are not at home. Did this basket muzzle stop your dog licking his leg - I am worried that a dog could get his tongue through the gaps in the mask. thank you.

It does stop Smooch, but he only licks of a night or if I am in the shower. He is too busy sulking if I am not home and doesn't lick than. I also have it on him pretty loosly so that he can get it off. I had tried the E collar but he really hated it.