Heartworm Protection Dosage Intervals?

I know there has just been a topic about Advocate dosing every month but I was wondering more specifically about heartworm protection so wanted to start a new thread.

I have used Interceptor Spectrum on my dogs every month for years now but having had a close look at the leaflet in the box I am now wondering whether it is necessary to be doing this every 30 days. Here is exactly what the leaflet says:

What happens if I miss a dose or I am late in Dosing?

The regular interval between doses is one month i.e. approx 30days. If you miss your regular monthly treatment by 15 days or less, administer Interceptor Spectrum immediately and resume your monthly dosing schedule. If the intervel is longer than 15 days and up to 30 days, heartworm protection can be maintained if you redose immediately and then maintain regular monthly dosing for the next 2 months. If a period of greater than 60days has elapsed since the last dose, please consult your vet

Going by this I would say, at the very least, they only need it every 45 days and if you can effectively maintain protection after 60 days (as it says) maybe that is ok too?

Are there any experts out there who could shed some light on this? Not only would the cost benefits amount to a considerable sum, the chemicals we are subjecting our dogs to could be vastly reduced over their lifetime.

I'm not an expert but I only give my dogs their heartworm tablets every 6 weeks in the cooler months, going to monthly only in the summer months. My dogs are smooth coated, we have lots of mozzies and they are out in the yard when I am at work.

I'm not sure how accurate this source is but it seems to be very well referenced:

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com.au/2008/05/billion-dollar-heartworm-scam.html

It brings up the same sort of concerns you have about over medicating dogs and stuff. I personally heartworm Hugo every month and a half, and I don't particularly believe that the extra 15 days left untreated would be detrimental to his health. Not to mention if heartworm is spread through mosquitos, his fur looks too thick to get through anyways and he spends all his time outside doing zoomies so he's not exactly a reliable landing pad for mozzies but we still do it every month and a half like clockwork just to be safe. :laugh:

If you're going to skip doses, then I'd suggest getting a separate intestinal wormsr and skipping heartworm all together in winter (assuming you're not up north where heartworm Gould survive in winter)

Thank Dju for that link. Very interesting reading.

When I took Luka for his 12 week vaccination recently I was concerned that he hadn't had any previous heartworm tablets but the vet told me it was fine as heartworm medication kills off any little worms up to 3 months so that supports what that article was saying. I am going to talk about it more when he goes back in a couple of weeks for his 3rd jabs.

Slightly off topic but whatever you all decide regards to the your heartworm prevention please discuss it in depth with your vet...only saying this as I have just been through heartworm TREATMENT with a rescue bitch I recently adopted from the Sydney area who came to me heartworm positive. She was quite sick and the treatment is not terribly pleasant for the dog...I would not wish any of your dogs to become infected.