Canned Food

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been around here!

I had a quick scan of the board first, but apologies if this has benn asked a million times. My dog (Schipperke) had surgery to remove a bladder stone earlier in the week and the vet has advised us to feed him canned food until they get the results back as to what type of stone it was. She said it didn't really matter a great deal which type atm until the results come back in probably another two weeks (the stone's being sent to the US). I picked up a few cans of Nutro for now, but it's nearly 2x what I'd spend on his normal kibble, Royal Canin :eek: I might have the amount wrong atm, because we do feed him slightly less than advised of the dry, BUT...

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good/high quality canned food that might be a bit cheaper?

He's had Science Diet before, but his coat goes all dull when on it (which isn't the end of the world, I know but still!)

He's also overweight, but we've got his weight down over a kilo in the last year, and I'm concerned he might put it back on.

Guest lavendergirl

I think Natures Gift is an underrated food. Good variety of canned food and not full of rubbish.

Guest Clover

Natures Gift user here as well. Like Shmoo i dont have the time to source much RAW atm so my guys get some natures gift canned food when they have dry food. They seem to love it and do well on it.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been around here!

I had a quick scan of the board first, but apologies if this has benn asked a million times. My dog (Schipperke) had surgery to remove a bladder stone earlier in the week and the vet has advised us to feed him canned food until they get the results back as to what type of stone it was. She said it didn't really matter a great deal which type atm until the results come back in probably another two weeks (the stone's being sent to the US). I picked up a few cans of Nutro for now, but it's nearly 2x what I'd spend on his normal kibble, Royal Canin :eek: I might have the amount wrong atm, because we do feed him slightly less than advised of the dry, BUT...

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good/high quality canned food that might be a bit cheaper?

He's had Science Diet before, but his coat goes all dull when on it (which isn't the end of the world, I know but still!)

He's also overweight, but we've got his weight down over a kilo in the last year, and I'm concerned he might put it back on.

My rescue BC had a huge bladder stone removed just before I got him. We also sent the stone to the US to be tested and it was madeup of two different substances. He is now on Royal Cannin Urinary S/O which is suitable for different kinds of stones as it is low in the minerals involved in forming stones and a little higher in salt to encourage the dog to drink more to flush out the urinary tract. He also has some raw meat because he wouldn't eat the dry food on its own, plus cod liver oil, salmon oil and Deltameth tablets. He's doing really well and all his urine tests over the last 6 months have come back negative. His coat which was extremely dry and bleached is now thick and shiny.

Good luck with your little dog. I hope he does ok on his new diet.