Wives Tales

angelsun

Only staffordshires will lie down with back legs sticking out.

(someone out to tell my poms they are the wrong breed)

My Cavaliers do that but I've never seen a GSD do it!

Our Bekki does it all the time and no, she doesn't have 0/0 hips, but she's got good scores. Our GSD babies also do it regularly.

On the subject of hips and flexibility!! A breeder friend of mine, often told me that she watches her bitch puppies very closely at about 6 weeks onward when they pee. If they almost touch their knees to the ground when they do it, they will have correct angulation in the rear. I'd never heard anyone else mention this, and in truth, her girls she kept all were superior for their breed in that department. I wonder if anyone else has heard this one?

Yes, I've seen GSD puppies doing it! But my boys never did as full grown dogs.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the hips -

do the dogs with good scores put them straight out behind or out to the side like a frog?

All straight out in this household.

My female labs do this. Usually when they are having a stretch. They stretch their legs straight out behind them so their tummy is almost touching the ground. These girls have great hips scores - 0:0 and 1:1. My other dogs don't do it and growing up our family dogs did not do this either.

Back to the hips -

do the dogs with good scores put them straight out behind or out to the side like a frog?

All straight out in this household.

My female labs do this. Usually when they are having a stretch. They stretch their legs straight out behind them so their tummy is almost touching the ground. These girls have great hips scores - 0:0 and 1:1. My other dogs don't do it and growing up our family dogs did not do this either.

I don't think there's a pattern. I have a 2:1 who never stretches her legs behind. I've seen much worse scores who do.