Any Experience With Ensal

My little girl Daisy had gastro last week and on Wednesday the vet gave me antibiotics and Ensal. She told me to give the full coarse of the AB, and to only give the Ensal until I see a normal poo.

Well the Ensal dried up the liquid poos, but now we have nothing! She has not pooed for 4 days now. She is eating and drinking (bland chicken & rice only) normal amounts. She is weeing fine. I will ring and talk to the vet tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any experience with this. I stopped giving her the Ensal yesterday because I was worried it was blocking her up too much. Still no action today.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Rysup,

Yup indeed, ensal (and scourban) is given for diarrheoa and by and large, they are both excellent medications and they work very well.

Normally they are used for 1-5 days.... they are usually stopped when

a) normal stool arrives or

b) when there is a day when there is no stool at all

Some dogs take a day or two to get going again depending on how inflamed the intestine was to start with,

If nothing by day 3, (and still bright and happy and eating well) then most Vets advise a mild laxative, options include pumpkin (as Taketwo mentioned), metamucil, coloxyl or a light oil laxative. If nothing by day 5, (and still bright and happy) your Vet will freqently give an "active" laxative to get things moving!

Obviously stay in touch with the Vet, and let them know if at any stage Daisy isnt happy or not eating well.

Heres hoping she produces a deposit soon! :)

Thanks BoxerJim!

I chatted to the vet at work today, and they said to give her another day or so and as long as she isnt straining it should be ok.

I might try a bit of metamucil.

She is still very happy and eating normally.