Coping With Nerves

After three years of preparing Indi for CCD we have entered our first trial next month - and my stomach is already in a knot :o

I have not been in the trial ring for four years but remember suffering from nerves way back then too. The silly thing is I love training Indi and she loves training and I think we're both ready but there's a good chance my nerves are going to ruin everything when we enter the ring. I'm sure I'm not on my own, what does everyone else do to cope with pre-trial nerves?

I really haven't figured this one out beyond giving myself permission to fail, really stuff up.

It's really important I try to stay upbeat because if I get too anxious or frustrated - my dog picks up on it and goes to pieces too.

I find going for a bit of a run before I go in, helps both of us, except on 30'C days, in which case - sponge bath for her and misting sprayer for me helps a bit.

I've been playing hockey for 30+ years and still get anxious before every game. I just kind of put that feeling in a thought bubble and ignore it.

gsdog2 - a bit of perspective for you:

1. Your not playing for sheep stations;

2. Win or Lose you still take the best dog home again with you at the end of the trial;

3. Its about having fun and making the most of an activity you enjoy; AND

4. You ever know when for whatever reason the time you step in the ring might be your last so go and enjoy every second of it and cherish the moment.

Its my new motto and really does help with the nerve factor. Pass or fail your dog will still wake up the next day and all it will remember is that it had a great day out with mum and got to play the game and anything else is a bonus.

Edited by ness

I really haven't figured this one out beyond giving myself permission to fail, really stuff up.

It's really important I try to stay upbeat because if I get too anxious or frustrated - my dog picks up on it and goes to pieces too.

I find going for a bit of a run before I go in, helps both of us, except on 30'C days, in which case - sponge bath for her and misting sprayer for me helps a bit.

I've been playing hockey for 30+ years and still get anxious before every game. I just kind of put that feeling in a thought bubble and ignore it.

This is my big concern too. She's a great dog but she's never really seen me that nervous so I really don't even know how she will react in the ring if I don't try and get my nerves under control (or hidden) now

If you can find a way to make yourself nervous, then try training, you could get an insight into how it will affect you both. I'm sure I read somewhere one of the top agility trainers deliberately uses stiff body language and stilted commands in training so the dog is accustomed to how she gets in the ring.

I haven't done obedience, but when I trial in herding I remind myself it's just me, Weez and the sheep out there. We're in our own little bubble. And the worse thing that can happen in herding is a sheep breaking it's neck from being run into a fence, I would prefer the worst scenario in an obedience trial any day! :D

Edited by Weasels

2. Win or Lose you still take the best dog home again with you at the end of the trial;

4. You ever know when for whatever reason the time you step in the ring might be your last so go and enjoy every second of it and cherish the moment.

Its my new motto and really does help with the nerve factor. Pass or fail your dog will still wake up the next day and all it will remember is that it had a great day out with mum and got to play the game and anything else is a bonus.

A big part of my issue (with nerves) is the last time I was in a trial ring (Open) my dog was dq'd for 6 months - it was the last time he was in the ring (my decision). I'm quite sure I won't have that issue with Indi but having said that I know how quickly it can all come to a complete halt :(

If you can find a way to make yourself nervous, then try training, you could get an insight into how it will affect you both. I'm sure I read somewhere one of the top agility trainers deliberately uses stiff body language and stilted commands in training so the dog is accustomed to how she gets in the ring.

I haven't done obedience, but when I trial in herding I remind myself it's just me, Weez and the sheep out there. We're in our own little bubble. And the worse thing that can happen in herding is a sheep breaking it's neck from being run into a fence, I would prefer the worst scenario in an obedience trial any day! :D

Weasels was it Patty Ruzzo? You have reminded me of a CD I have of hers where she explains her preparation before entering a trial ring and I remember her saying exactly that - speaking softer than usual and generally trying to behave as you would when nervous. Thanks for the reminder :)

I found that practicing while consciously relaxing my body language completely helped. Then when I get in the ring, I make sure the first few steps at least are relaxed - that is the only thing I think of.

I still get nervous though :p

I found that practicing while consciously relaxing my body language completely helped. Then when I get in the ring, I make sure the first few steps at least are relaxed - that is the only thing I think of.

I still get nervous though :p

I find the more I focus on relaxing the more nervous I get :laugh:

And I'm sure everyone gets nervous but somehow they don't look it :shrug:

Sorry gsd2 I didn't mean it quite like that :o. I guess its realization after having had a dog injured for an indefinite period of time that life is way to short - things happen to handlers, to dogs, in life so you might as well enjoy the journey as you never know what is around the corner. Life has a funny way of throwing curve balls and I am finding you can't get stressed about it.

Sorry gsd2 I didn't mean it quite like that :o. I guess its realization after having had a dog injured for an indefinite period of time that life is way to short - things happen to handlers, to dogs, in life so you might as well enjoy the journey as you never know what is around the corner. Life has a funny way of throwing curve balls and I am finding you can't get stressed about it.

No, you're right ness - injury/illness would have to be the worst. At this moment Indi's a very fit and healthy dog and I really should relish the moment and enjoy it - I will try and remember that as we enter the trial ring next month :)

Weasels was it Patty Ruzzo? You have reminded me of a CD I have of hers where she explains her preparation before entering a trial ring and I remember her saying exactly that - speaking softer than usual and generally trying to behave as you would when nervous. Thanks for the reminder :)

Oh man you're really testing my memory now! :p Sorry I can't remember, but I think I saw it relayed second-hand in an article so it could well have been PR :)

Where's the "Like" button :)

I find being videoed makes me nervous, so a good opportunity to reward my dog.

Also watching your video and being confident of what you have trained really helps. Watching other dogs at trials helps a lot too.

Supportive friends, focus on the good bits, think of it as a way to test what you have trained under distraction. Plenty of amazing dogs and handlers bomb for the littlest thing. Plenty of poor work passes.Try as hard as you can to make your time in the ring 'your time', don't feel rushed. When the judge asks 'are you ready?' that is a question....so are you and your dog ready?Keep your eyes open, watch what's happening in the ring next to you, stall if you're worried. Watch the ring dogs, know what dogs will be next to you in the stays, if you're worried pull out....lol.Good luck and have fun:)

Also watching your video and being confident of what you have trained really helps. Watching other dogs at trials helps a lot too.

Supportive friends, focus on the good bits, think of it as a way to test what you have trained under distraction. Plenty of amazing dogs and handlers bomb for the littlest thing. Plenty of poor work passes.Try as hard as you can to make your time in the ring 'your time', don't feel rushed. When the judge asks 'are you ready?' that is a question....so are you and your dog ready?Keep your eyes open, watch what's happening in the ring next to you, stall if you're worried. Watch the ring dogs, know what dogs will be next to you in the stays, if you're worried pull out....lol.Good luck and have fun:)

So true ........... I find being videoed makes me very nervous. It's crazy because it's me that wants the video but as soon as the camera starts so do the nerves. I have gone to a couple of trials (with Indi) and watched the CCD ring and yes I did feel better as there were plenty of others who were making mistakes (I won't be the only one :o ). And yes Pax I intend to make the right decisions for Indi and if that means pulling her out I will :)

Rescue remedy pascals might help...available from health food stores. :)

Lol I have friends that are already insisting I try some rescue remedy, although I didn't know you could get them in pascals - I'll have to look into that. A nice wine has also been suggested :laugh:

I like it when the higher trial levels go first - if they have trouble who am I to get worried about failing! :o We'll be sending you good vibes at least :)

Apparently I have to give a demo at the Royal show this year :eek: I'm sure I'll be re-reading this thread then!

So true ........... I find being videoed makes me very nervous. It's crazy because it's me that wants the video but as soon as the camera starts so do the nerves. I have gone to a couple of trials (with Indi) and watched the CCD ring and yes I did feel better as there were plenty of others who were making mistakes (I won't be the only one :o ). And yes Pax I intend to make the right decisions for Indi and if that means pulling her out I will :)

Rescue remedy pascals might help...available from health food stores. :)

Lol I have friends that are already insisting I try some rescue remedy, although I didn't know you could get them in pascals - I'll have to look into that. A nice wine has also been suggested :laugh:

For about the first 18 months of me doing agility trials, I used to get so nervous that I would get the runs :( Now I just look upon it as "just another run with my dog"...my whole outlook changed when my OH reminded me one day that I was not playing for sheep stations. In a couple of weeks I have my first ever Rally-O & CCD trial. I am a bit nervous about that, because I am not really too sure what I am meant to do :laugh: as I am completely self-taught. Just make sure you have breakfast before the trial & have plenty of small snacks during the morning & fluids. Important also, that your dog gets a small breakfast at least two hours before the trial. I give my BC girl about 100g of mince, pinch of bicarb & mixed with some warm water & feed about two hours before the agility trial. Since doing this, the improvement in her performance & concentration levels is remarkable. :thumbsup:

I like it when the higher trial levels go first - if they have trouble who am I to get worried about failing! :o We'll be sending you good vibes at least :)

Apparently I have to give a demo at the Royal show this year :eek: I'm sure I'll be re-reading this thread then!

:eek: now I'm nervous for you!

For about the first 18 months of me doing agility trials, I used to get so nervous that I would get the runs :( Now I just look upon it as "just another run with my dog"...my whole outlook changed when my OH reminded me one day that I was not playing for sheep stations. In a couple of weeks I have my first ever Rally-O & CCD trial. I am a bit nervous about that, because I am not really too sure what I am meant to do :laugh: as I am completely self-taught. Just make sure you have breakfast before the trial & have plenty of small snacks during the morning & fluids. Important also, that your dog gets a small breakfast at least two hours before the trial. I give my BC girl about 100g of mince, pinch of bicarb & mixed with some warm water & feed about two hours before the agility trial. Since doing this, the improvement in her performance & concentration levels is remarkable. :thumbsup:

My eating could be a problem, when I'm nervous the thought of food makes me want to :vomit:

After reading the thread re feeding before trial I think it makes a lot of sense and I will make sure Indi gets a light breakfast.

Good luck with your Rally-O & CCD trial - we'll both have to come back here after we've trialled and compare notes re coping with nerves :laugh:

:eek: now I'm nervous for you!

My eating could be a problem, when I'm nervous the thought of food makes me want to :vomit:

After reading the thread re feeding before trial I think it makes a lot of sense and I will make sure Indi gets a light breakfast.

Good luck with your Rally-O & CCD trial - we'll both have to come back here after we've trialled and compare notes re coping with nerves :laugh:

I find it hard to eat when I am nervous, but I do try to eat a little breakfast then take along lots of little nibble thingos & a can of organic coconut water from the health food shop, not the kind you get from the supermarket. The Rescue Remedy Pascals are worth a try :) Good luck & yes, we will have to compare notes...but personally, I am looking upon it as some sort of training day & if we does well, then that will be a bonus...it is after all, just a game to be played with your best mate. :)