Separation Anxiety Causing Inappropriate Peeing Inside?

I adopted Charlie, a4 year old Tibetan Spaniel x Cavalier, almost 12 months ago today. He joined my other Cavalier (Dallas) who is now 2 years old.

Apart from a few accidents in the first few weeks, he has been well behaved with using the doggie door and going to the toilet outside.

It didn't take too long for him to becoming quite clingy with me, but it just seems to be getting more and more obsessive. He used to be content lying on his bed beside the couch while I was watching tv but in the last 2 weeks or so has decided he needs to lie with me on the couch. He stands up on his hind legs and puts his paws on the couch with his nose practically touching my face and holds that position until I give in and let him on the couch. We had a 'stand off' because I though he'd give up but he stayed in that position for over 30 minutes.

I work full-time so am not home during the day Monday to Friday. However, about 6 months ago my mum moved in with me so now Charlie and Dallas are used to having at least 1 of us home most of the time. (They maybe spend about 6 hours alone twice a week when my mum goes out).

Over the past 2 weeks or so Charlie has started peeing inside on an average of once a day. I thought perhaps it was due to the cold as he seems reluctant to go outside when it is chilly except for a walk (despite him having a jumper on!), so have made sure I take him outside for a pee every morning before I go to work. We did that this morning, yet a few hours later my mum called and told me he had peed inside again (he doesn't go in the same spot every time). He did it while she was outside hanging out the washing.

This made me realise we have never caught him doing it inside. I know without a doubt it is him as Dallas is 100% trained, plus Charlie is double Dallas' height so when it has been on a wall or side of a bed I know it couldn't be Dallas.

Given that we've never caught him, I'm starting to wonder if he only does it when he is alone i.e. as a result of separation anxiety. I don't think there is a medical problem as he is quite healthy.

If it is separation anxiety, what can I do to help him? I'm at a complete loss. I don't want to isolate him and make him feel abandoned as I love him to death and it would break my heart to upset him, but I think I do need to do something as it is just getting worse.

Both Charlie and Dallas sleep on my bed. I know that's 'wrong' but I let them get away with it. Dallas sleeps down the end of the bed and likes his space. But Charlie has to either have his body against mine or sleep with his head right near mine, staring at me (like in the photo below).

post-35807-0-00278600-1339645621_thumb.jpg

Should the first step be to have them sleep on their bed beside my bed? Do I need to take him to a Delta accredited behavioural trainer?

I'd be grateful for any advice you can offer.

First of all I would get both dogs tested at the vet for a UTI. Without seeing who is doing what you don't really know who the culprit is. Male dogs can pee pretty high if they want to. Try being a bit more proactive with the dogs. Take them outside regularly instead of waiting for them to maybe ask. If you don't want the dog on the couch do not give in. Nothing wrong with having the dogs on your bed or the furniture as long as they will get off when you want and wait for an invite to hop up.

Guest lavendergirl

I have the same situation Allie :) Male dog adopted at 2 years old and has separation anxiety. He pees in the house when I am in another room even though he uses a doggy door at other times and never does it when someone is in the room with him. Yes I think it is related to the SA. Rather than leaving him to stand on his hind legs wanting to get on the couch be firm with him by saying no and taking him to a mat or crate so he knows what you want him to do. There is a lot of information and ideas about separation anxiety if you do a search of this forum. I think mental stimulation like puzzle food toys and kongs are very good. Crates are also good to create some separation by gradually getting him used to spending time in the crate while you leave the room - very slowly building up the time. Create separation time while you are at home as well so it is not so much of a contrast when you are at work. With these dogs it is important to take small steps so they gradually learn they are OK without you. It is a matter of trying a variety of strategies before finding what works best for you - not everything works for every dog. I would try some of the ideas suggested throughout this forum before going to the expense of a behaviourist.

Good luck - I hope things improve.

Thanks for your replies.

I will get him vet checked to ensure he doesn't have a UTI.

I will also do what you suggest Lavendergirl and start separating him from for short periods me even when I am at home.

My mother is getting a puppy in 3 weeks' time. Part of me wonders if he somehow knows that there is a new addition coming and that is why he is acting up, but surely that can't be it?!? :dummy:

Guest lavendergirl

Good luck with the new pup - what breed is your Mum getting? Hope it is another Cav :) That will be more research for you on introducing the new pup!

Baby gates are also very useful in creating separate areas if you did not want to use a crate and may be especially good seeing as you will have a new pup in the house.

Charlie looks very cute. Let us know how things go.

Good luck with the new pup - what breed is your Mum getting? Hope it is another Cav :) That will be more research for you on introducing the new pup!

Baby gates are also very useful in creating separate areas if you did not want to use a crate and may be especially good seeing as you will have a new pup in the house.

Charlie looks very cute. Let us know how things go.

Thanks Lavendargirl.

Unfortunately my mum isn't getting a cav. She's always had rotties. She lost her 10 year old rottie 6 months ago and still can't look at another rottie. So she's decided to get another big dog but one that doesn't resemble a rottie at all - she's chosen a St Bernard!!! :eek: Insane, I know. But she's been through a lot over the past few years and this is the first thing that has made her smile so I can't say no. But I have invested in several baby gates so I can create safe havens for my 2 boys, and I've stressed the importance of her training him to be gentle with my 2 boys.

However, both Dallas and Charlie are very social. We go to the dog park or dog beach most weekends and they always gravitate to the biggest dog, so I don't think they'll mind having a St Bernard in the house. I'm a little more worried about mum's Persian cat!

p.s. I've started working on Charlie already. When I got home from work, instead of greeting him excitedly when he met me at the door, I walked past him and ignored him. He followed me for a few minutes, then gave up and went into the lounge and started playing with his toys on his own. Amazing! After about 15 minutes I then said hello to him and gave him a cuddle. He also tried to wrangle his way onto the couch last night but I said no and gave him and Dallas some toys and they started playing. I think with persistance we will get on top of this issue. (Fingers crossed I don't receive a call from home saying he's peed inside again! :crossfingers: )

Guest lavendergirl

:thumbsup: Sounds promising. A St Bernard? that should be fun :D

If Charlie pees again - just be patient don't scold him just clean up with white vinegar and persist with the structure and training.

Edited by lavendergirl

I'd say it's possibly linked to the weather? Mine have been busy going inside a lot in the last two weeks and they are housetrained.

If you haven't removed the smell properly (for the dog's nose) then some dogs will keep going over the same place again and again. White vinegar and water or Napisan and water will do the job.

Just keep going with the toilet training again, I'm sure it will be OK but having a puppy around might set him off again ...