Ethoxyquin Post Removed?

It looks to me like Sheena's topic on Ethoxyquin was removed, that's a shame as I wanted to reply to her. Here is my reply for those who are interested. As far as I know this doesn't contravene any rules and regulations.

I'd like to thank you for pointing out that the website listed in my DOL profile is no longer valid, you are quiet correct, that business was closed over 12 months ago and I have now removed that. Just goes to show that there can be lots of info on the internet that is out of date and incorrect and if you are not sure about the validity of something, its best to ask first and obtain the correct information from confirmed reliable sources.

I notice that you double posted this also in another thread ( not sure of the relevance in that thread but still...and that you had never heard of Ethoxyquin until "today" - posted 13th June 12 so presumably you have no idea what BHA & BHT are either. These are also contraversial preservatives that can be found in many pet foods that are manufactured both here and in other countries, including the USA.

Many thanks.

It looks to me like Sheena's topic on Ethoxyquin was removed, that's a shame as I wanted to reply to her. Here is my reply for those who are interested. As far as I know this doesn't contravene any rules and regulations.

I'd like to thank you for pointing out that the website listed in my DOL profile is no longer valid, you are quiet correct, that business was closed over 12 months ago and I have now removed that. Just goes to show that there can be lots of info on the internet that is out of date and incorrect and if you are not sure about the validity of something, its best to ask first and obtain the correct information from confirmed reliable sources.

I notice that you double posted this also in another thread ( not sure of the relevance in that thread but still...and that you had never heard of Ethoxyquin until "today" - posted 13th June 12 so presumably you have no idea what BHA & BHT are either. These are also contraversial preservatives that can be found in many pet foods that are manufactured both here and in other countries, including the USA.

Many thanks.

Hi k9katz. I am not sure what happened to the thread...I havn't been on for a couple of hours, so not sure what got it deleted. It's good to be aware of what we are feeding our pets AND ourselves, I sure you would agree. I shall do some Googling for BHA & BHT...thanks for that :)

ETA...I found this information on BHA & BHT which some people might find interesting

(quote)

What foods contain BHA and BHT?

BHA is generally used to keep fats from becoming rancid. It is also used as a yeast de-foaming agent. BHA is found in butter, meats, cereals, chewing gum, baked goods, snack foods, dehydrated potatoes, and beer. It is also found in animal feed, food packaging, cosmetics, rubber products, and petroleum products.

BHT also prevents oxidative rancidity of fats. It is used to preserve food odor, color, and flavor. Many packaging materials incorporate BHT. It is also added directly to shortening, cereals, and other foods containing fats and oils.(quote)

Probably another good reason for avoiding foods that contain artificial preservatives. I am glad the kibble I feed my dogs does not contain this. :thumbsup:

Edited by sheena

Guest english.ivy

ETA...I found this information on BHA & BHT which some people might find interesting

(quote)

BHA is generally used to keep fats from becoming rancid. It is also used as a yeast de-foaming agent. BHA is found in butter, meats, cereals, chewing gum, baked goods, snack foods, dehydrated potatoes, and beer. It is also found in animal feed, food packaging, cosmetics, rubber products, and petroleum products.

BHT also prevents oxidative rancidity of fats. It is used to preserve food odor, color, and flavor. Many packaging materials incorporate BHT. It is also added directly to shortening, cereals, and other foods containing fats and oils.(quote)

Probably another good reason for avoiding foods that contain artificial preservatives. I am glad the kibble I feed my dogs does not contain this. :thumbsup:

Well said.

I saw the E thread the moment it went poof and I am quite glad it did go poof as the last two comments were not nice.

Many thanks.

I agree on getting information from reliable sources. Peer reviewed journals and the FDA are a good start. IMO, you can find links to health problems with pretty much anything our dogs (or us eat) - toxicity is always dose dependent.

Slightly OT - I'd like to see any medical claims by pet food manufacturers be backed up with scientific evidence - same as we require for human food.

Guest donatella

Many thanks.

You will notice a certain member on this forum likes to belittle other products instead of letting others just be happy feeding what their dogs do well on.

It's not the first time this has happened, probably won't be the last either.

Guest english.ivy

You will notice a certain member on this forum likes to belittle other products instead of letting others just be happy feeding what their dogs do well on.

It's not the first time this has happened, probably won't be the last either.

I find that extremely hard to beleive.

Why does every post have to turn in to an attack against BH? Cause one would have to be very stupid to not what you are talking about/referring to.

Guest donatella

Clearly its not just me who thinks it seeing as ive seen 3 other posters now make a similar observation. Funny that?

Guest english.ivy

Clearly its not just me who thinks it seeing as ive seen 3 other posters now make a similar observation. Funny that?

Funny that, yes but in a different way to what you and those three others refer to.

Can you please show some proof as to where this person as belittled other products?

:laugh: Nothing compared to the number of posters who continuously attack anybody who dares to mention BH :laugh: Talk about belittling someones product??....you take the cake Donatella :)

Guest english.ivy

:laugh: Nothing compared to the number of posters who continuously attack anybody who dares to mention BH :laugh: Talk about belittling someones product??....you take the cake Donatella :)

gold

Sheena, the dog food faries just told me that the word 'Black Hawk' has been added to the dictionary of forbidden words for dogz online. Including the abbreviation BH.

Edited by english.ivy

Many thanks.

Hi k9katz. I am not sure what happened to the thread...I havn't been on for a couple of hours, so not sure what got it deleted. It's good to be aware of what we are feeding our pets AND ourselves, I sure you would agree. I shall do some Googling for BHA & BHT...thanks for that :)

(quote)

Yep Totally agree, it is very important to read the labels of all products but even more important to understand what the statements mean or what the ingredients listed actually are. If anyone has any doubts about something rather than get bogged down with all sorts of info from the internet, go straight to the supplier and ask them outright, thats what they are there for and there shouldnt be any hesitation to answer your concerns.

Many thanks.

(quote)

Yep Totally agree, it is very important to read the labels of all products but even more important to understand what the statements mean or what the ingredients listed actually are. If anyone has any doubts about something rather than get bogged down with all sorts of info from the internet, go straight to the supplier and ask them outright, thats what they are there for and there shouldnt be any hesitation to answer your concerns.

Yep...I agree...thats exactly what I have done & no hesitation in answering my questions either. A shame we got deleted k9katz as I thought we were having a very healthy debate on preservatives in foods, till some others came in & spoilt it for us. :) I am glad you came back cause I genuinaly think you have a lot to offer :thumbsup:

For someone who has no idea, what exactly is Ethoxyquin, BHA and BHT?

Is it something I should worry about with my dogs? They're both fed Royal Canin Sensible (medium and mini).

From what I can tell, there's no scientific evidence of harmful effects resulting from Ethoxyquin (it's used as a preservative) in the levels found in pet foods. There seems be be some anecdotal reports of a myriad of health concerns surrounding Ethoxyquin - like just about everything our dogs (or us humans) eat.

Some of the stuff on Google is just plain hyperbolic scaremongering.

I don't know about the others.

PS - According to the Royal Canin FAQs:

Do you use the preservatives BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin?

BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin are not used in Royal Canin Canine or Feline Health Nutrition products. All our dry formulas are preserved naturally with mixed tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), citric acid, and rosemary extract.

http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/Frequently-Asked-Questions/Ingredients

Edited by Luke W

For someone who has no idea, what exactly is Ethoxyquin, BHA and BHT?

Is it something I should worry about with my dogs? They're both fed Royal Canin Sensible (medium and mini).

From what I can tell, there's no scientific evidence of harmful effects resulting from Ethoxyquin (it's used as a preservative) in the levels found in pet foods. There seems be be some anecdotal reports of a myriad of health concerns surrounding Ethoxyquin - like just about everything our dogs (or us humans) eat.

Some of the stuff on Google is just plain hyperbolic scaremongering.

I don't know about the others.

PS - According to the Royal Canin FAQs:

Do you use the preservatives BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin?

BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin are not used in Royal Canin Canine or Feline Health Nutrition products. All our dry formulas are preserved naturally with mixed tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), citric acid, and rosemary extract.

http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/Frequently-Asked-Questions/Ingredients

Yes Luke you are quiet right about the Ethoxyquin, however the same cant be said for BHA & BHT, these are listed as carcinogenic and banned in many countries including most of Europe, Japan and California. Royal Canin always used to use these in their foods as a preservative, since I understand most of their food is made in Europe this would probably explain why they have now taken it out. You cannot assume that no pet food manufacturer uses these just because they are not listed on the bag, although some do like Hills ZD for example, so as previously stated you have to ask the manufacturer of the foods the question if you are at all worried. Interestingly enough you can still find BHA & BHT in many of the foods we eat ourselves here in Australia.

Yes Luke you are quiet right about the Ethoxyquin, however the same cant be said for BHA & BHT, these are listed as carcinogenic and banned in many countries including most of Europe, Japan and California. Royal Canin always used to use these in their foods as a preservative, since I understand most of their food is made in Europe this would probably explain why they have now taken it out. You cannot assume that no pet food manufacturer uses these just because they are not listed on the bag, although some do like Hills ZD for example, so as previously stated you have to ask the manufacturer of the foods the question if you are at all worried. Interestingly enough you can still find BHA & BHT in many of the foods we eat ourselves here in Australia.

Thanks k9katz...

I know my Artemis is BHA, BHT and Ethoxyquin free - I'm not sure about the (still unopened) Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch I bought while at the Nationals.

Guest english.ivy

I know my Artemis is BHA, BHT and Ethoxyquin free - I'm not sure about the (still unopened) Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch I bought while at the Nationals.

I emailed Earthborn and they confirmed they don't use it. Happy to share the email reply.