Best Dog Kibble

Guest lavendergirl

A lot of people find that feeding a grain free kibble - particularly fish based - helps with skin issues. I feed Taste of the Wild Grain Free Salmon, it is premium, and with small dogs you don't need to feed so much so it is quite economical. This one is a little lower protein than some of the other grain free varieties as well. Canidae is another good brand. Neither contain any potential nasty additives. I find my little guy itches more on anything containing lamb. Did you get your dogs from a registered Pap breeder? If so, they may be able to advise what food is best for that breed as well. Or you could pop into the Pap breed subforum and ask for advice there.

Getting the right food for your dog can be trial and error. Try raw if you want, try barf patties or a kibble. Don't take people's choices as gospel truth until you've tried them. Raw may be a bad choice, it may be good. Some dogs do very well on kibble. The best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on.

Thankyou very much, yes I do realise raw is best for dogs, its what they have eaten in the wild before we domesticated them etc, but I posted this for peoples opinions and advice. I know some dogs these days need special vitamins and I was adding some fish oil in my dogs meat when I was serving but I was hoping you could just buy a dry food with the extras in it.

I give them marrow bones once a week to clean their teeth, chicken necks sometimes gives Cindy the runs and domino sometimes swallows his necks whole. I was hoping for some good reviews on advance, purina or eukaburna (something like that)

Except I didn't say raw was best.

Getting the right food for your dog can be trial and error. Try raw if you want, try barf patties or a kibble. Don't take people's choices as gospel truth until you've tried them. Raw may be a bad choice, it may be good. Some dogs do very well on kibble. The best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on.

Exactly what Sheridan says..

The best food is what you dog does best on..

I use barf patties of a night and he was on Nutro puppy but wouldn't eat the adult one, so I changed to royal canin and he will only eat that sometimes. Mostly now he gets a turkey neck or chicken necks or wings of a morning and his barf of a night. I leave 1 cup of dry there a day and sometimes he eats it and sometimes he doesn't. He also gets sardines in oil a few times a week instead of his normal morning food...

I really think he only eats the kibble when he is bored, as opposed to hungry...

I feed my whippets Purina Proplan for sensitive skin and they are doing really well on it. Their coats are lovely and they seem to really like it, so I am happy with it. :)

And as an example of the complete opposite and why people shouldn't just accept another's word that one food is best, my dogs were on this while Holistic Select was having supply issues. One wouldn't touch it; the other got sick.

Guest donatella

I feed my whippets Purina Proplan for sensitive skin and they are doing really well on it. Their coats are lovely and they seem to really like it, so I am happy with it. :)

And as an example of the complete opposite and why people shouldn't just accept another's word that one food is best, my dogs were on this while Holistic Select was having supply issues. One wouldn't touch it; the other got sick.

Noones saying what food is best the OP is asking for recommendations, perhaps she has never heard of some of these options so it doesn't hurt for peoples subjective experiences.

Why don't you also include the finer details, aren't your dogs geriatric? Possibly could attribute to your food issues too.

well the dry food my dogs do best on is good old Pal Pedigree. It was the only one all my dogs would eat and do well on. Even the one inclined to yeasty skin. Only other food they get regularly is raw minced chicken carcass's.

Noones saying what food is best the OP is asking for recommendations, perhaps she has never heard of some of these options so it doesn't hurt for peoples subjective experiences.

Why don't you also include the finer details, aren't your dogs geriatric? Possibly could attribute to your food issues too.

My response was clearly pointing out that the OP should not take people's word for it. I'm unsure as to why you object to me saying so.

Guest donatella

I'm sure the OP is adult enough to work that out as with all recommendations with everything in life someone's gonna have a different opinion.

I for one am thankful for recommendations here, I wouldnt have found the food that works for my pooch if it werent spoken of highly here as I'd never heard of it before. 3 foods before I found one I'm thrilled with.

Which is fine and I have come across a number of foods in the same way, some of which worked and some didn't. What we see in a lot of these threads is evangelists pushing their particular dog food agenda and it does not hurt to remind those inquiring that the best food for their dog isn't always one being recommended.

Guest english.ivy

You need to do your own research. Look at cost, ingrediants, supply and kibble size.

Note what foods your dog reacts to and scratch that one off your list.

Yes, it is difficult to start with but when you find the right food, you'll thank yourself.

Guest donatella

Which is fine and I have come across a number of foods in the same way, some of which worked and some didn't. What we see in a lot of these threads is evangelists pushing their particular dog food agenda and it does not hurt to remind those inquiring that the best food for their dog isn't always one being recommended.

We agree on the evangelists bit, I am turned off anyone pushing any product on me.

• 3 weeks later...

if you want to make sure your raw diet is complete look into the Vets All Natural range. You dont have to feed kibble for the extra 'vitamins' ... it's a heat processed product, not a vitamin pill. You can either make your own diet and add the Health Booster powder or just use the Complete Mix with the meat of your choice.

www.vetsallnatural.com.au

Guest lavendergirl

This is a good site to compare kibbles - does not list the Australian brands though, pity :)

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Not really, it just talks about the ingredients based on the order they are mentioned. Furthermore, they make far too many assumptions.

There is no actual analysis happening.

The reason they talk about them in the order they are mentioned is because they evaluate whether it is really factual to list them as they do. For example I have listed below an extract from their evaluation of an Artemis kibble.

"The first, second and fifth ingredients in this food are named meat products, all in meal form. There is a further meat meal ingredient in the food (fish meal) 10th on the ingredient list, though this is too far down to make up a substantial portion of the food. We note that the manufacturer does not claim to use ethoxyquin-free sources (ethoxyquin is a chemical preservative commonly added to fish destined for meal, and is believed to be carcinogenic)

The third ingredient in the food is rice. Rice is a good quality grain that is low-allergenic and a good source of carbohydrates and additional protein. However, the fourth ingredient is brewers rice. This is a low quality ingredient and by-product.

Beet pulp is another low quality ingredient and filler. It is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process."

I find that information useful - people will make their own judgement as to whether they get anything of value from the website.

Guest lavendergirl

This is a good site to compare kibbles - does not list the Australian brands though, pity :)

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Not really, it just talks about the ingredients based on the order they are mentioned. Furthermore, they make far too many assumptions.

There is no actual analysis happening.

The reason they talk about them in the order they are mentioned is because they evaluate whether it is really factual to list them as they do. For example I have listed below an extract from their evaluation of an Artemis kibble.

"The first, second and fifth ingredients in this food are named meat products, all in meal form. There is a further meat meal ingredient in the food (fish meal) 10th on the ingredient list, though this is too far down to make up a substantial portion of the food. We note that the manufacturer does not claim to use ethoxyquin-free sources (ethoxyquin is a chemical preservative commonly added to fish destined for meal, and is believed to be carcinogenic)

The third ingredient in the food is rice. Rice is a good quality grain that is low-allergenic and a good source of carbohydrates and additional protein. However, the fourth ingredient is brewers rice. This is a low quality ingredient and by-product.

Beet pulp is another low quality ingredient and filler. It is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process."

I find that information useful - people will make their own judgement as to whether they get anything of value from the website.