What Is Your Word Command For A Send-away?

Hi Erny,

I'm really interested in this as it looks like you will be training for a specific behaviour without being concerned about trial ring consequences, which is great and really what we should all be doing in an ideal world :thumbsup:

I thought long and hard about the sendaway in UDX. The box in UD is relatively easy as its just a 'send to' Changing that into a true 'send away' is a different concept and much harder for the dog to understand. I was going to teach a send away for the UDX cones but I piked out and taught a send to for the ring :grimace: Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Bedazzledx2. I will let you know how we get on. I like that you've recognised my "attitude" to training though :). Maybe one day I will get to trial, but I have so much fun training for stuff I want for ME and for Mandela. If it is not what a trial ring would expect :shrug: ..... that's not the point, for me. I want different. And for me "better" is about the potential for practical applications, not just pretend life. At the moment, my Dad's gravely ill in hospital and I have been looking after my Mum, which is why the training has been confined to indoors and has been a bit spasmodic. I've begun adding in distance to the "box" by using the hallway and the "box" set up in the room at the end of the hallway. (I love my long narrow hallway - VERY handy for various aspects of teaching/training.) I'm focusing on getting speed into the send-away, rather than much else at this point. He does mindfully turn and sit within the confines of the box though. And he does so with so much "chuffness" he has me chuckle often. Admittedly, having the "box" set up gives him a sense of purpose and direction and makes it easier than the conflict he'd feel in just being sent to run-away from me (which would be against his grain). I'll wean the box out asap though. In hindsight, I could have begun the exercise without the box in the first place - I think I was a bit distracted because of my Dad's failing health.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a Kamal Fernandez workshop last weekend, and I asked about teaching the sendaway. He had us using a target (we were using a platform, as Ava will already readily target that from rear end awareness games) then shaping a sit on the target, then shaping a straight sit in front of me on the target. From there we would restrain her slightly and release only when she was looking at the platform, so that she understood to pinpoint the spot and drive to it. Then obviously we'd have to build distance and fade the platform/target. Shaping gets a really nice response from her.