What Is Your Word Command For A Send-away?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bedazzledx2 .... why the different ones? I'm presuming there's something different that you need to do in UDX than you do in UD, but wouldn't they have made it an extension rather than something that might require a different command?

Everything in UDX was a new learning experience as both Brookie and Scoota came to it after many years of successful UD trialling. A lot of UDX is actually contradictory to all the previous classes so I elected to train most of it with a difference. "Box" means go out to a clearly defined square and sit in it. The UDX cones can look a bit arbitary from a dogs point of view...whats in and whats out? So I trained it with a different signal and word. I started with "Go" which worked fine but one time my voice must have been a bit harsh and he mistook it for "No" so I quickly changed it.

Bedazzledx2 .... why the different ones? I'm presuming there's something different that you need to do in UDX than you do in UD, but wouldn't they have made it an extension rather than something that might require a different command?

You're right - I am, RubyStar. But then, I don't have any "guess the breed" or "name my puppy litter" threads, so why not claim some rights to a "name the command" thread, :laugh: .

Bedazzledx2 - thanks for the explanation regarding 'why 2 different commands for UD and UDX'.

I quite like "scram" too, I think. I'll try it out tomorrow, and see how well it sits on the tongue, lol.

I trained 'go' and a cue for the UK send-away, as I wanted a down when I called it.

Now that I'm training for ANKC UD where the dog has to sit in the box, I say 'box' and have a different cue as he has to sit in the box.

"Zoom" is great!!!!:D Our UDX sendaways are 25 meters long, from watching You Tube of the American sendaways they look a little like what our old UD ones were before the box, but shorter. Looks like to the end of your ring but no marker as such, is that right LabsRock?

I've always just used 'away' (for UK)

for teaching the IPO/working trials sendaway, I am told they start off using a ribbon tied to the fence/hedge as a marker to teach the dog to run out straight. Not sure how they then work in the redirect on the sendaway for working trials.

I've been using "box" - as "go" means take a jump in agility and she is likely to go to the jump instead of the box. The less I need to use my brain, the better, and box makes the most sense :rofl:

I've adopted the use of "Zoom!!" - thanks, Labsrock62 :D.

Mandela picks things up super quickly and he's now readily getting over to the box and turning around to look at me and sitting. For reasons, I've not been able to get out to train him in the open (for that matter, training has been somewhat irregular and spasmodic, but it only took a couple of goes for him to work it out), so this has been lounge room stuff. When I can, I'll take him to the field and work in the distance, then I'll wean off the box. I like the idea of me being able to tell Mandela to "Zooooom!!" and have him send away until I call out "drop". I know it isn't the KCC way, but I think the Schutzhund way is somewhat more stunning as far as spectatorship goes, and is also more challenging for the trainer and for the dog. And potentially more practical :D.

For the moment though, I am enjoying the occasional moments when Mandela moves forward and away from me to enter the box (in the lounge room) semi forgets something because he got distracted by something or someone, looks at me with that "well, isn't this what I'm meant to do?" look and then goes "oh yes, THIS bit!!" and goes into a sit position with a snap and finishes with a very chuffed "I know this one" look on his face. He makes me laugh.

Edited by Erny

Hi Erny,

I'm really interested in this as it looks like you will be training for a specific behaviour without being concerned about trial ring consequences, which is great and really what we should all be doing in an ideal world :thumbsup:

I thought long and hard about the sendaway in UDX. The box in UD is relatively easy as its just a 'send to' Changing that into a true 'send away' is a different concept and much harder for the dog to understand. I was going to teach a send away for the UDX cones but I piked out and taught a send to for the ring :grimace: Let us know how you get on.

edited for dumb spelling and grammer :D

I've adopted the use of "Zoom!!" - thanks, Labsrock62 :D.

Mandela picks things up super quickly and he's now readily getting over to the box and turning around to look at me and sitting. For reasons, I've not been able to get out to train him in the open (for that matter, training has been somewhat irregular and spasmodic, but it only took a couple of goes for him to work it out), so this has been lounge room stuff. When I can, I'll take him to the field and work in the distance, then I'll wean off the box. I like the idea of me being able to tell Mandela to "Zooooom!!" and have him send away until I call out "drop". I know it isn't the KCC way, but I think the Schutzhund way is somewhat more stunning as far as spectatorship goes, and is also more challenging for the trainer and for the dog. And potentially more practical :D.

For the moment though, I am enjoying the occasional moments when Mandela moves forward and away from me to enter the box (in the lounge room) semi forgets something because he got distracted by something or someone, looks at me with that "well, isn't this what I'm meant to do?" look and then goes "oh yes, THIS bit!!" and goes into a sit position with a snap and finishes with a very chuffed "I know this one" look on his face. He makes me laugh.

Edited by bedazzledx2