What Is Your Word Command For A Send-away?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ta. I'm making more of a deal of this than what it deserves, I know. But I like using words that sound good to me. Like Platz, for example.

"To" in German is "zu" (which I presume is pronounced as "zoo") and I'm thinking I might use that. I'm not a fan of using the word "go" ..... and where in real-life does one generally come across a box you want your dog to sit in (save for at trials), lol. I haven't given up on thinking up other alternatives just yet. I'll be speaking with a person in South Africa shortly - I'll ask him what "go" or "to" or "box" or "there" means in African maybe, seeing as my boy is a RR.

In the meantime, another thought has been crossing my mind. Why do obedience trials work on having a box marked out on the ground for this exercise? I mean, the box itself would become a cue to the dog, and how would one apply that in a real-life exercise when there isn't a box marked out on the ground? Why not have it as the dog learning to move out and away until commanded?

It is of course good to have something different but according to my rule book (which is old I admit) "all verbal commands must be in the English language unless appproved otherwise by the judge." :)

Edited by padraic

Ta. I'm making more of a deal of this than what it deserves, I know. But I like using words that sound good to me. Like Platz, for example.

"To" in German is "zu" (which I presume is pronounced as "zoo") and I'm thinking I might use that. I'm not a fan of using the word "go" ..... and where in real-life does one generally come across a box you want your dog to sit in (save for at trials), lol. I haven't given up on thinking up other alternatives just yet. I'll be speaking with a person in South Africa shortly - I'll ask him what "go" or "to" or "box" or "there" means in African maybe, seeing as my boy is a RR.

In the meantime, another thought has been crossing my mind. Why do obedience trials work on having a box marked out on the ground for this exercise? I mean, the box itself would become a cue to the dog, and how would one apply that in a real-life exercise when there isn't a box marked out on the ground? Why not have it as the dog learning to move out and away until commanded?

square, target, away, mat, box, place, yours .. the word has got to make sense to you and one that you will remember

It is of course good to have something different but according to my rule book (which is old I admit) "all verbal commands must be in the English language unless appproved otherwise by the judge." :)

If you want to enter ANKC trials then you have to use English commands apparently.

Ah, well, yes .... there ya go. :(

Ok - my friend in South Africa said that the Africaan word for "go" is "gaan" (pronounced "hun"). Would a judge know that I'm not saying "hon" as in short for honey or some such? Or does the word HAVE to mirror the english meaning for what I want the dog to do, as well?

What is so wrong at having a word of another language as a command? Heck, I think we should be able to grunt and have our dogs understand and know what we want. Hhhmmm, come to think of it, mine does!! Does that make him too clever for KCC? :eek::flame:

Actually, in today's times, wouldn't the rule instance on speaking english commands be considered as being racist?

Edited by Erny

From what I understand, to use another language you have to ask the judge? But then if you asked I would think the judge would assume all the commands would be in that other language, not just one.

In Schutzhund, the send away is to send the dog away from you and you have to down the dog from a distance with no visual guide such as a box to guide the dog - sounds very difficult to train!

My send cue in agility is 'Go' like most - makes the most sense to me, short, easy to remember and to say quickly :laugh:

In Schutzhund, the send away is to send the dog away from you and you have to down the dog from a distance with no visual guide such as a box to guide the dog - sounds very difficult to train!

It was the same in ANKC UD when I first started training. You sent the dog back then gave the sit command. The box came in sometime in the early 90s. The change was probably made to make it easier to train :laugh: .

I like this better. Visualising being in an emergency situation and needing the dog to go away from me in a big hurry for safety reasons. A bit tough if, in that emergency situation, I can't first run to the spot where I want the dog to go and lay-out my bunnings-bought square box on the ground.

Give me the proper Schutzhund version any day :D.

I thought in schuyzhund they ran until the end of the field (visual cue = fence), they span around and dropped without a command at all?

I'm pretty sure they are to run until dropped on verbal command.

:D Janba - I go back to the days before the box too. And although theoretically having the box makes it easier - it's amazing how dogs can miss it - to the side, behind ..... And now there's a substantial deduction for commanding the dog to sit - the box being there, dog is expected to turn and sit in the box on his own - in the old days, you used a verbal (and/or simulataneous signal to stop and sit you dog.)

Erny, as padraic said, the rules specify one word verbal commands (with or without simultaneous signal) in English, unless prior approval has been gained from the judge. I'm pretty sure this would normally be given, but again, the commands must be one word (which is why some judges might be reluctant to give permission - if they weren't sure the commmands would be single word.)

I don't believe you would have to give all the commands in the same language - after all, you can choose to use eg different left about turns in the same heel pattern, and can switch between verbal only, signal only or combination - (except of course in UD signals :laugh: ).

And finally - you can always put a new cue on an old behaviour. I tend to try :o to get the behaviour first - then put the cue on. And as long as it's one word, the verbal (and signal) can be anything that makes sense to youi. As long as it's consistent, the dog won't care :laugh: .

I thought in schuyzhund they ran until the end of the field (visual cue = fence), they span around and dropped without a command at all?

I'm pretty sure they are to run until dropped on verbal command.

The handler downs the dog on the judges command.

From the rule book:

8. Send out with down 10 points

a) One verbal command to: “Go- out”, “Down”, “Sit”

b) Execution: From the basic position, the handler walks out straight with his dog off leash in the designated direction. After 10-15 paces, the handler gives the “go out” command while simultaneously raising his arm and remains standing. The dog must go out goal-oriented, in a straight line and at a quick pace a minimum of 30 paces in the designated direction. At the Judge’s instructions, the handler gives the “down” command whereby the dog must lie down immediately. The handler may keep his arm raised until the dog lies down. At the direction of the Judge, the handler goes to his dog and places himself to the right side of the dog. After approx. 3 seconds and at the instruction of the Judge the handler gives the command to “sit”, whereby the dog is to sit quickly and straight in the basic position.

c) Evaluation: Mistakes in the development, handler following the dog, too slow of a go out on the dog’s part, strong deviation to the side, too short of a distance, hesitant or premature downing, restless down or premature standing up/sitting are evaluated accordingly.

One additional command to “down” = -1.5 points

A second additional command to “down” = -2.5 points

Dog does stop, but does not lie down after a second command = -3.5 points

Additional faults will be evaluated accordingly. If the dog leaves, or comes back to the handler, the entire exercise is evaluated with 0 points.