What Would Your Friends And Family Do With Your Dogs?

Alyosha

A close friend of mine has actually written it into her will that if anything happens to her I get her dogs plus a sum of money to care for them for the rest of their lives. I would do it without the money but she doesn't have any other family anyway...I'm the closest thing she has to family.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an emergancy mum would move in here and take on the dogs, if there was no chance of recovery Ronnie would go back to her breeder and Diesel would be PTS as he needs an eperianced owner :(

If I'm right, I think part of the question Alyosha is posing is whether you can be sure family (or friends) would PTS if that was your preference. I think there was a long running court case a few years ago where the breeder had wanted PTS but it went on and on and on because those left behind felt differently. Eventually her wishes prevailed in the sense that the dogs were PTS, but they spent a few years in limbo while it was being fought out which is certainly not what anyone would want.

Yeah I see what you mean SSM, I know my mum will follow through with diesel, she understands the situation and know's the few people i trust with him and they have agreed as well, i have spoken to my vet and he is in agreement. I hate even thinking about it because 99.99% of the time he is the pefect pet :(

I had every intention of keeping and taking care of my father's two dogs. Sadly, one of them had to be PTS only days after my father died due to massive health issues. The other was euthanased last week. He wasn't coping well, his eyesight and hearing had deteriorated in the past few weeks and he wasn't doing well with the travelling between my home and my father's home on the coast. It broke my heart but I did what had to be done.

My will states that my Stafford boy is to be euthanased and cremated with me.

I spoke to MrLC about this yesterday. Given that we commute together over 140kms each working day, the odds at the moment are that if one of us is in an accident, the other will be too. We really like the idea of having a laminated card in our wallet/purse with clear instructions on what animals we have and who should be contacted about them.

I think we would be ok with family members taking our dogs amongst them. It's possible that a family member could take our cats, too. I would like our horse and alpaca to go to a friend... if she couldn't keep them, I know she would rehome them responsibly. But these are all assumptions and wishes at this stage. We really need to have a few conversations and get it all down in writing.

It is uncomfortable to think about, and I know our family will be dismayed if the subject is brought up, but recent events have made me realise how important it is to organise. It is devastating to think of any of my guys ending up in the pound because our families weren't prepared and couldn't cope.

I'm lucky to come from an entire family of dog lovers. If I suddenly dropped dead there would be a fight over who would get to adopt my dog.. I know for sure that my family wouldn't let him go outside of our family and he would be very well cared for, whoever ended up with him :).

I think SIL (and/or MIL) would stay at our house and take care of Billie if we were both seriously injured or incapacitated.

In an emergency situation...a close friend has keys to our house and wouldn't hesitate to check on Billie if she thought anything was amiss. She works for the same company I do and would most likely be first point of contact if I didn't show up at work one day so I am comfortable Billie wouldn't be alone for too long if the worst happened.

FIL's dog was alone for up to a week when he died and we were so grateful for the concerned neighbour who pushed food and water under the gate for him.