Cowhide Dog Toys From Overseas

mirawee

I saw this: http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3189&ParentCat=449 on the Cleanrun free shipping and was wondering if anyone knows if it is ok to bring into Australia? Or if you can get anything similar in Australia :)

If intercepted by AQIS at the mail centre expect it to be seized, and a chance that you may receive a fine.

Only hide that has been tanned, and/or heat treated may be subject to import without a permit

Also, what a lot of people do not realise is AusPost, AQIS and the major international freight companies keep

a log of company names that send such products, and if enough items are detected they red flag everything

from that company for screening.

Yes, you may get it through, but be aware, there are risks involved. Buyer beware...

The following is not permitted into Australia

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

Animal products

* Rawhide articles

Live animals and animal products

* skins, hides and furs

As per the ICON Database

The importation of hides and skins that have been effectively and fully tanned are not of a quarantine concern and can be released

This would not cover pet toys, as the tanning agents could be toxic to the dog

HTH

Edited by Pets1

Thanks Pets1... I did try and look it up in ICON but it didn't like my keywords lol. Cleanrun stuff usually gets checked in my experience anyway.

Thanks to everyone else as well - I will have to search in Australia instead.

Things like proper tanned hides like that would be ok.

Its only if the officer doing the inspection confuses it with RAWHIDE then it will be seized. you get a letter offering options, you could then ask for another officer to recheck it as it doesn't look like any rawhide is on it, and you may get it.

Alternatively, you could ask for clean run to put a declaration in it stating there is no rawhide.