Why Dna Health Testing Is So Important

dancinbcs

Sick Border Collie Pup

For those that do not check the Puppy Problems thread, this discussion over the last couple of weeks shows why you should never buy a puppy of any breed if the parents have not been screened for all relevant health tests for that breed. It doesn't matter if the puppy comes from a registered breeder, an unregistered breeder, pet shop or shelter/rescue. In the case of shelter/rescue the puppy itself should be tested before it is rehomed. Of course some breeds have no tests but most do have and they are easily found by googling the breed clubs, DNA testing or health/hereditary problems in that breed.

There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to breed and sell a puppy that is affected by a fatal or serious health problem that is so easily avoided by doing a simple DNA test.

Edited by dancinbcs

Sick Border Collie Pup

For those that do not check the Puppy Problems thread, this discussion over the last couple of weeks shows why you should never buy a puppy of any breed if the parents have not been screened for all relevant health tests for that breed. It doesn't matter if the puppy comes from a registered breeder, an unregistered breeder, pet shop or shelter/rescue. In the case of shelter/rescue the puppy itself should be tested before it is rehomed. Of course some breeds have no tests but most do have and they are easily found by googling the breed clubs, DNA testing or health/hereditary problems in that breed.

There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to breed and sell a puppy that is affected by a fatal or serious health problem that is so easily avoided by doing a simple DNA test.

Well said - is there any way this could go on the puppy listing pages?

Interesting that you should mention "Registered Breeders or Not". I know we are not supposed to talk about "DD's" but as a matter of interest my OH often picks up second hand Dog Books for me (and horse books) from a second hand shop he visits.

Yesterday, amongst his 'haul' there was the book "The Complete Idiots Guide to Designer DOgs".

In the book it mentions not to buy from BYB's or "Puppy Mills" but to get your dog from a breeder who DNA and health tests it's parent stock for genetic diseases. I must say I was both surprised and pleased to see this information published. However, good luck finding a breeder who breeds this particular type of pet for the Pet Shop industry in this country who can provide proof of this type of testing to the new owners.

Interesting that you should mention "Registered Breeders or Not". I know we are not supposed to talk about "DD's" but as a matter of interest my OH often picks up second hand Dog Books for me (and horse books) from a second hand shop he visits.

Yesterday, amongst his 'haul' there was the book "The Complete Idiots Guide to Designer DOgs".

In the book it mentions not to buy from BYB's or "Puppy Mills" but to get your dog from a breeder who DNA and health tests it's parent stock for genetic diseases. I must say I was both surprised and pleased to see this information published. However, good luck finding a breeder who breeds this particular type of pet for the Pet Shop industry in this country who can provide proof of this type of testing to the new owners.

The only ones I have ever heard of testing in Aust are a very small handful (maybe 6) of Aust Labradoodle development breeders who were trying to get the breed recognised. They were trying to reduce their high incidence of hip and eye problems. Most however would not be tested and none of the other crosses would be. I think things may be different in the US though where they have all sorts of odd "breed clubs" for crossbreds and multiple registries.

The most likely dogs though to have genetic problems are unregistered purebreds and second+ cross DDs where they have crossed back to one of the original breeds. Breeding healthy purebred dogs takes a lot of work and dedication to get it right.

The average heinz 57 variety mongrel is probably likely to be pretty healthy genetically due to true hybrid vigour but once you can clearly identify a breed or breeds in it, the testing needs to be done for any of theose breeds.

The only ones I have ever heard of testing in Aust are a very small handful (maybe 6) of Aust Labradoodle development breeders who were trying to get the breed recognised. They were trying to reduce their high incidence of hip and eye problems. Most however would not be tested and none of the other crosses would be. I think things may be different in the US though where they have all sorts of odd "breed clubs" for crossbreds and multiple registries.

The most likely dogs though to have genetic problems are unregistered purebreds and second+ cross DDs where they have crossed back to one of the original breeds. Breeding healthy purebred dogs takes a lot of work and dedication to get it right.

The average heinz 57 variety mongrel is probably likely to be pretty healthy genetically due to true hybrid vigour but once you can clearly identify a breed or breeds in it, the testing needs to be done for any of theose breeds.

As I suspected.

At least the potential buying public who may have read this book are slightly better informed tha twhat is touted generally. I particualrly like a "tip' quote where it states that if you are allergic and buy any 'oodle' breed for potential hypoallergenic benefits you still may end up with a dog you cannot live with.

Totally agree. Sadly we see a lot of PRA in BYB Labs, Poodles and Cockers, and also in the crosses of these breeds. It is pretty much non-existant in pedigree dogs though due to DNA testing. Thankfully it doesn't kill the dog, but it's not fun having to tell the owner of a 4yr old oodle that their dog will be blind within a few months. :(