Just Wondering Is There A Akita Rescue?

You mean that she was chipped to breeders and they have rehomed her 2 weeks ago?

If I haven't understood that bit right, what I would do is look up Akita breeders at the front of DOL - there aren't too many, and start ringing the ones in the same state. They often recognise each other's dogs if you have a picture. Some of them have waiting lists and you can find them a home that way.

I have taken on an Akita previously and successfully rehomed her. Could you pm me some details please?

There is no actual Akita rescue, but there is the Arctic Breed Rescue which deal with Huskies, Malamutes, Samoyeds and Akitas. They are based in NSW and Qld, but I know they also deal with quite a few dogs interstate, so they may very well be able to help.

http://www.abrinc.org.au/index.php/contact

https://www.facebook.com/Arctic.Breed.Rescue/info

+0403 833 204 Anna or +0403 960 893 Marnie (Anna is probably the better contact in this case as Marnie is based in Qld).

There are only two (registered) breeders in ACT (Well, there's a third one but they're very new) and these are where myself and the other regular Akita owner on this forum got our two boys from, so if they've come from one of these kennels we can probably help identify them.

If there's any way I can help please let me know.

I saw her when she was dumped in the pens and later in the pound (in cages) and she is soooooooo affectionate towards people. I've never been an Akita fan due to their "guarding" behaviours but she is all wags and love. I did note that it said "dominant towards other dogs" on the front of the drop off cage.

I thought I would add something, a few people have told me that she has presented well in the cage initially when she was in the drop off pens but when we were testing her yesterday she snapped at the handler 2 times. There was not a warning growl she just turned and snapped. The first being when the handler ran her hands down the front of her leg and the other was when she touched her back end. She also became very stmulated whe she spotted the small tester dog we were using.

I put this here as the honest truth is that I didn't want my ignorance of the breed to sell her short. I have also had a few bad experiences with Akitas so did not want this to hinder her. There are times in rescue and testing when I see a behaviour I am not keen on and a breed person will say that thisis common of the breed.

I have spoken to AMS and she has helped alot.

The pound will only release this dog to a breed specific rescue.