Waterproof Camera

minimax

I'm looking for a waterproof/underwater camera and the reviews seem to be fairly mixed, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and could offer some suggestions?

Right now I seem to be going between the Lumix FT4 and the Olympus TG-820 but am open to others.

I think I like the Olympus more, because the features makes it look more fun (it has modes that can auto detect dogs faces, has fun/silly filters for images and video) but the lens on the Lumix is slightly better.

It will be used mostly for fun, so I'm thinking the Olympus. But it's also not just for underwater use, I do dragon boat racing and want to be able to take a camera in the boat somtimes and not worry about it getting splashed so would like it to do decent shots and have a good zoom etc.

I can't seem to find any reviews for either camera that actually give examples of underwater shots either, just normal shots, which is weird when reviwing an underwater camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or a completely different camera I may have overlooked?

edit: Just read a few reviews of the Nikon AW100 and it also seems to be in the running!

Edited by minimax

Panasonic, no contest at all. After years and years of frustration with "waterproof" cameras I finally have one I adore.

I personally wouldn't spend the extra on the TS4 and would find a TS3 instead, but they will both get the job done.

The Olys still suffer from snail-pace focus time and they still miss focus far more than they should. And when the images are in focus, they are still kinda <meh>. I would not own an Oly again until they completely overhaul everything.

IMHO the panasonic TSs are the only viable choice on the market right now. I agree that finding good reviews is terribly hard - I did (and continue to do) massive amounts of research and I lay hands on as many models as often as I can. Here's some UW shots that I've done that may help you.

@12m while scuba diving

APR12_209kja.jpg

FEB12_167kja.jpg

FEB12_163kja.jpg

MAR12_101kja.jpg

MAR12_198kja.jpg

Don't hesitate, just buy it :thumbsup:

Edited by kja

Panasonic, no contest at all. After years and years of frustration with "waterproof" cameras I finally have one I adore.

I personally wouldn't spend the extra on the TS4 and would find a TS3 instead, but they will both get the job done.

The Olys still suffer from snail-pace focus time and they still miss focus far more than they should. And when the images are in focus, they are still kinda <meh>. I would not own an Oly again until they completely overhaul everything.

IMHO the panasonic TSs are the only viable choice on the market right now. I agree that finding good reviews is terribly hard - I did (and continue to do) massive amounts of research and I lay hands on as many models as often as I can. Here's some UW shots that I've done that may help you.

Don't hesitate, just buy it :thumbsup:

You've sold me! I knew you had the TS3 but wasn't sure if that's what you were using on the latest trip - the photos seemed too good for a simple compact camera!!!

The TS4 has a manual mode, which I don't need in this camera, so you're right - the TS3 is a better option for the price. Although I bet I can't find one, lol

My TS3 is my video/happy snappy camera.

The photos I've posted from Bonaire are all done with my BGC (Big Girl Camera) = Canon 40D + whatever lens + Subal underwater housing & ports + 2 Inon strobes ;)

This was one of my friends entering the water for our dive - taken with the TS3

BONAIRE12_rand1kja.jpg

BH Photo has them in stock for $299 and when I buy from them things usually arrive in about 7-10 days :) Gah, just looked and the newer TS4 is on sale for $265 right now :)

Edited by kja

BH Photo has them in stock for $299 and when I buy from them things usually arrive in about 7-10 days :) Gah, just looked and the newer TS4 is on sale for $265 right now :)

How do you go with warranty when buying from the US?

Awww come on, I'd just convinced myself the TS3 was okay and now you find me a TS4 cheaper? What are you doing to me :p

Honestly, I've never had a warranty problem with any gear I buy overseas. Though I rarely have a problem in the first place - can't even tell you the last time I had to deal with warranty on a baby camera, in fact. They've all just worked.

I wouldn't pay very much extra to buy here in Australia, I'd take the punt. YMMV

Honestly, I've never had a warranty problem with any gear I buy overseas. Though I rarely have a problem in the first place - can't even tell you the last time I had to deal with warranty on a baby camera, in fact. They've all just worked.

I wouldn't pay very much extra to buy here in Australia, I'd take the punt. YMMV

I agree. I'm ordering the TS4 right now. Seems silly to be pay more for the older model.

Got my little blue monster! Haven't had a chance to play with him yet though, with the arrival of a new puppy last weekend and all.

I ended up getting it from Australia, because by the time I factored in shipping from the US, it worked out around the same price locally, and because I'm going overseas again later in the month I can claim the GST back.

Maybe if I can get the puppies to sit still I can try it out on the weekend (or test out the action shot capabilities lol)!

*dives into thread* Been looking for a waterproof for my next camera, must say this one is tempting, good price too...

Minimax can I be nosy and ask what you paid from digitalcamerawarehouse.com with shipping?

Kja how does yours go taking photos indoors/outdoors when not in water? :)

It was around $350 with shipping. I bought a bunch of other stuff, memory cards etc on the same order so I don't know if I was charged more shipping because of that, or if they have a standard shipping rate

When I looked it up it came to about $350 shipped from Australia - which was about $40 more than from BH if you go 1:1 with the dollar.

I only grab it sometimes for indoors coz it's with my walking stuff so I grab my baby Canon while I'm in the house. But it does OK :) As with all compacts, it suffers from noise at higher ISOs so you'll want to watch that and/or be happy with a little bit of mushy pixel action.

APR12_121kja.jpg

APR12_141kja.jpg

I use it a lot outdoors on the beach with the dogs. I have found it takes a little learning to be able to get better action photos - the straight auto setting doesn't work too well for me so I go to sports or beach mode and burst. Seems to work.

APR12_111kja.jpg

APR12_140kja.jpg

JUL12_176kja.jpg

JUL12_203kja.jpg

Well I'm a bit blown away by the shipping - it arrived this morning :D Only paid for regular yet here it is in six days, couldn't be happier. Offically the fastest item I've ever received from the US and I buy books and DVDs from there all the time. Battery is charging now - can't wait! Beach day for us today!