Pet Insurance ... ?

Emmzy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the information so far.

I have just investigated the Woolworths Pet Insurance. As far as I can see, it is offered by Holland, the same insurance cover provider who underwrites Real and RSPCA.

At the moment I am only looking at accident cover (frankly the thread about snakes has me worried - and snakebite IS covered under accidents) - it seems that Woolworths will allow me to claim 80% of vet costs, with an excess of $100, for $9.98/fortnight for TWO dogs, whereas the accident policy under RSPCA and Real are more like $22 or $23 fortnight for two ( no excess? That wasn't clear !). The only difference I can see is the maximum claim for Woolworths is $6000/yr whereas the other two are $7000/$8000 respectively. Apart from that, apart from the excess , it seems like the same policy.

So, my question is, has anybody any experiences with Woolworths pet insurance they can share?

Two Black Dogs, I'm with Woolies pet insurance for my 1 year old Golden Retriever boy and found they were the best value and covered all the things I need. I pay around $32 a month for accident and illness (didn't bother with paying an extra $12 or so for routine care as you can only claim back $50 a year which isn't worth it IMO) and also pay no excess. They pay out up to 80%. Haven't had to claim yet (touch wood) but I didn't take it out until my boy was 10 months, and the only thing he had before that was an ear infection that I guess will now forever exclude anything to do with his right ear, but they said if it stays away for more than 6 months then it may no longer count as a pre-existing issue.

Woolworths and Real pet insurance were recommended the most to me by family and friends who are pet owners and have had very good experiences with them. Woolies flexible payment plans and what they covered and not having to pay excess just suited me more than Real but they both looked good. Just remember even if you do choose Woolies but find something else shortly after, there's a 14 day cooling period where you can cancel and receive refund for anything you've paid (as long as you haven't claimed for accidents).

Hope that helps!

I've got prosure and unfortunately tried to claim for a ear infection in the first 30 days so now it is excluded completely (not happy) then when Ava was 9 months she got ocd and had to have $3,500 worth of surgery and xrrays, thankfully we got 80% of that back otherwise I would still be broke. Overall I would chose pet insurance regardless, even though you hopefully won't need it it's always good to have it just incase.

I believe that PetPlan is the only one that doesn't exclude an ailment you've claimed for it.

I've gotten over $8k back and my dogs are young and healthy. Sometimes bad things happen. Wouldn't be without it.

We don't have pet insurance.

When Ollie got cancer, I applied for a rather large credit card with very low interest and 55 days interest free.

Ollie has been gone nearly 12 months now and I still have the credit card - I use it maybe once every few months just to keep it active and pay it off before the due date, so never any interest...

I was thinking about it for the new lad but I think my credit card works just as well for us.. Thankfully (touch wood) I have not had to use it for Ziggy yet and I hope I never have to...

I'm with pet plan. I have a flat $100 excess, but I get 100% of everything back after that. Pet Plan is also the only one that will pay the vet directly and as a pensioner that was essential. I do not need to know that I will get back 80% of costs on a $5,000 bill. I need to know that I will have a set amount to pay, $100 and that they will pay the rest. But that is for me. I have in the last year had for the first time UTI, which I could not claim on as the total cost was $99. But small costs of up to $100 are much more affordable for me, than knowing that if I had a $5,000 bill I would only get $4,000 back. Trying to find that $1,000 would be too much for me.

I have claimed 3 times with pet plan. The first time took forever, but it was the vet they were paying and not me. Part of it, was that the vet had not handed over previous records, which they asked for. The second time I had a check in the mail within the week. The third time I claimed 2 weeks ago and have still heard nothing at all.

Pet plan does cover things which others will not. They do cover vacine preventable conditions, providing the vacines were up to date. I know a person who got a claim back for kennel cough, as the dog was vacinated. They will cover dental, which others will not, again providing you have had an annual check up. They will cover some prescription foods, etc. Providing you have had the coverage from the start, they do not exclude things once they have been claimed before, which some do. They also have the excess per condition, not per claim. You can choose to pay higher excesses and have lower premiums.

As others have said read the polices very very carefully and choose what you want.

I am with Petplan, just got a renewal and it has gone up just over $100 for the year. When I phoned and asked I was told it is across the board. The excess is now $125 and the limit has gone from $9000 to $10,000

NOt very happy with that as I am waiting to see what happens to the dog I have actually claimed on!

I am with Petplan, just got a renewal and it has gone up just over $100 for the year. When I phoned and asked I was told it is across the board. The excess is now $125 and the limit has gone from $9000 to $10,000

Same story here, Maggie's gone up from $27 to $31 and Lucy from $34 to $39.

Wish I got pet insurnace for Toby a few months ago it would of saved us an expensive surgrey. After the surgrey we got pet insurance, were with RSPCA and pay $24 a fortnight. Didnt know if they would cover him becuase of his age ( 9 years old ) Thankfully his age hasnt caused any issues with getting him covered.

Edited by whitka

I went with PetPlan because my best friend's cat has lymphoma and she's 100% covered (by PetPlan). They have paid out a small fortune in chemo and other costs - takes ages to get the money but it is 100% of the costs and she has never regretted choosing them as a company.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest donatella

Has anyone claimed with Real before and can tell me what they are like?

I am in the midst of my first claim and wondering do I need to attach all her vaccination and desexing paperwork as well?

The vet wanted me to leave the paperwork with her and she would fill it out and send it off with her medical history however they don't have her desexing or vacc info so i'm wondering if i'll be getting a phone call asking me to please submit more info?

if she was desexed vaccinated etc with that vet then they have all that info so no you wouldn't need to send it off. Also unless it was in relation to getting her speyed ( or say a Pyometra or something else associated with her uterus) or vaccinated then no I don't think they would need it.

Edited by OSoSwift

Guest donatella

Thanks!

she was vaccinated at their sister clinic as they had no appointments that day and I drive 30mins to get my dogs speyed at another clinic so they wouldn't have that info but the claim isn't related to either vacc's or desexing so fingers crossed just her medical history from the clinic is enough.

haven't had to claim before and i really hope i don't have to jump through hoops.

Sometimes if you haven't claimed before they may ask you for a full past history, then you just send more in as you need to. They may ask but wait adn see I guess, or call them on Monday and ask so you are not kept wiating longer than you need to be.

Guest donatella

I'm expecting them to ask for everything so I'll get it ready just in case. I had to leave the paperwork with the vet so she could fill it out but assured me they would send it all off.

I really hope they do!

• 3 weeks later...

I am with woolworths pet insurance and have claimed and think they are great. Very fast and great communication. I read a lot of the pds from pet insurance and found that RSPCA and Medicare as well as Woolworths All belong to the Hollard Insurance Group. In the fine print it also states that a certain percentage of the premium goes to marketing etc. woolworths had the smallest percentage at around 16% and RsPCA must higher around 43% (from memory).

Also I had heard that pet plan was great through friends though wasn't keen on the $100 excess. Most of my vet visits have been under $100 and therefore cannot be claimed (except fun when my frenchie broke her leg) whereas the woolworths insurance has no excess policy so I can claim every time.

Guest donatella

My vet just sent through my first claim with her medical history and invoice and they've sent me a letter saying they need all consult notes and invoices so I'm presuming they want Vacc and Desexing invoices too as that's all her other consults!

God what a run around load of crap.

Pet insurance is a good idea for at least the first 1-2 years. That's because this is the highest risk period for accidents and if anything nasty is going to turn up such as allergies, reactions to vaccinations or heartworm meds, HD etc chances are its going to happen in the first 2 years.

I didn't take out a policy at that stage, but actually the one I was thinking of taking out excludes contact allergies anyway. Wish I had gone with something like Petplan now though, because allergies can be so expensive to manage if they get out of hand. Particularly with a 70+kg pup who needs a pretty decent sized dose of most medications.