A Few Shots

tlc

Well with no decent days to get out and about apart from a freezing cold day, I thought i would post a few shots here, I haven't had much of an experiment just been snapping to get used to all the settings, changing the iso for inside and EV for outside etc, took a few on TV mode. So far so good but a few shots I have hoped would be better were crappy, I am not used to the focus points and haven't got a clue how to get the camera to focus on the whole shot not just part of it, must do some reading up soon. I took a stack of pics of Hubby and all 4 dogs posing for a shot but none of them were all in focus, :cry: Mainly two dogs in focus the rest blurry, that was a little disappointing! Not the end of the world I can always reshoot. Anyway here is a few that i liked.

The Awesome foursome

b9a98126.jpg

My boy Bailey James

e82b6db3.jpg

517055ed.jpg

eb51232a.jpg

The big fella most unimpressed about having a bath. :laugh:

47b50efb.jpg

420875f1.jpg

Post tub

b553db93.jpg

2bdf3386.jpg

Edited by tlc

Miss Tully Jo

ae442db7.jpg

Out and about freezing my butt off! :laugh:

357dfcae.jpg

17f059ec.jpg

6c2def21.jpg

396d9ed9.jpg

Another thing I discovered today was live view, I rarely use live view although I do use in not he the G1X as there view finder is awful as you can see the lens through it. But on the 7D it is pretty awful, the focus is slower and it sounds awful to shoot with! Im guessing no one uses live view? Although it might come on handy for some things.

So I should be using AV mode then, its something I have never really done, with Nikon I was mainly using Shutter priority, I will have a play with AV mode. I totally understand what your saying about the focus points. I had a look at the exif data and most of all the shots I took were iso 320 and 1/25 sec at f 1.8, these were mostly shot on P mode. The flash was not out for any of the shots here. The detail lost could be in my editing? I lightened it up a fair bit so it could be that. Thanks for all the info, I am probly not reading enough and just want to use the camera to learn.

Its funny the one of all 4 dogs together was at f1.8 but they all seem reasonably in focus, maybe that is because I was further away and I did crop that slightly to get them a little closer? Yet the one of my OH with all dogs I was the same distance away and they are all blurry?

Thanks for the explanations, I find it really hard to get my head around how it all works and its stupid as I've been taking photos for years, mainly just to lazy to really try to understand it all. The course I did helped a lot, but I still find myself scared to use manual modes, don't know why what's the worse that can happen! :rofl: ok my goal for this week is to use AV mode only and see what happens, I'll report back next weekend or maybe even earlier with some results!

I don't care what's in focus ..I just LOOOVE Coopers' eyes!!!

:)

:p

:laugh: he is a special boy, his eyes are even more amazing in real life. He has such expression, so many people say he looks like the saddest dog ever. :laugh: Ill hopefully be able to capture more of his happy face when the weather gets better, he loves being a couch spud but is happiest out and about running like the wind!

Yes, AV mode is the go with animals, my camera stays on that unless I put on one of my old manual lenses. Snook has covered it all pretty much. One of the best things to do is just sit with the dogs and take shots and change settings to see the differences in the results. Digis are not like film, you have to try a lot of things out see how your camera behaves in certain situations. Also, shoot in raw, open in camera raw and use clipping and shadow highlights to see what areas are blown and too dark, then you can get your exposure fixed as much as possible.

Thanks Jo, great feedback. When I open and import to Lightroom Raw files just import like jpegs. Is that the same as camera razor is that something completely different? I have LR4.

It's hard to just sit and play with the 50mm as I find if I just stop in one spot, sitting or standing the dogs are too close. I'm looking at getting a 17 -70mm soon so I'll have some more options.

Camera raw is photoshop thingo. What is it with animals and their velcro habits :mad Don't worry about taking decent shots though so as long as you can get something in focus as a test just do it. Even if you just shoot pot plants, gives you the best way to see what the settings do without wasting good shots. I'm still learning about my camera and doing test shots, we can do that now with digi as it is free and only costs time.

Maybe we need some challenges again to get us thinking and working at learning our cameras fully?

Great idea about the challenges!

I've just been to the park and shot only in av mode, will check out the shots after work. Got chased by a rouge duck too. :laugh: the things we do for our art!

:laugh: it's funny how many people say that! We have just put a makeshift fence up as one part of the yard floods in winter, but if they aren't inside with me they are just sleeping on the back deck, so really only use the yard for toileting, unless I'm chasing them with the camera. :laugh: like in these photos!

Whoops, I thought Dash looked like a Birman, they are gorgeous! Yes Bailey is a Birman, the dogs love him and want to play with him but 4 is just to overwhelming for him, he just lays there and they mob him, :laugh: so he sleeps in a different part of the house and stays away from them. When I only had two they all played together. The dogs don't bother with my older Cat, she put them in their place from day one and they have never bothered with her, she just lays about with them and they are fine with her.