Whelping Boxes

Nic.B

Hi Everyone,

Just doing a little bit of research on whelping boxes for use in pounds and shelters.

As we are talking a pound/shelter environment the materials used for a whelping box are crucial as it will need to be very well cleaned and bleached after use, and then stored.

Also, does anyone have information on heat lamps? the safest way to use them in a shelter/pound environment (mum is unattended during evenings) and a rough idea of cost please for both please, or perhaps how difficult it would be to have two whelping boxes made....

Obviously it is best practice for mum and bubs to move out asap under DOC, though at times we do not have a rescue available to take them on immediately. Mum and bubs may spend anything from a week or two at the shelter.

They are often put in a double gated pen, so that the public cannot touch/reach mum or bubs, this also helps mum feel more secure.

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated :)

Depending on your storage facilities Fibreglass boxes might be the go as they are very easy to clean after use - problem is you can't pull them apart for easy storage they stay whole.

With regards to the public, i'd go as far as putting up a tarp to block mum and pups from view. I'm sure it'd be rather stressful for mum to have strangers looking through her pen.

Thank you :)

Fibreglass sounds great and very easy to clean and bleach, no gaps or joins which is ideal.

We do have a storage container we can use.

What size would you recommend for a large breed female and say medium size female?

Roughly how much would they cost? Sorry for all the questions.

The tarp is a great idea, we do have sheets we put up. I was even thinking of a screening blind on the front of the pen gate that we can roll up during closing time (12.30 - 2pm) when it is quiet and there are no members of the public.

I agree it is often a very stressful time for mum :(

8.jpghave you considered disposables?

Our local fruit/veg seller has largeish multi sided (?octagonal) sturdy cardboard bins .. I have looked often at them and thought "puppies"

perhaps you could get these cheap..then just discard?

Not the best pic... these are apparently pineapples .

Edited by persephone

Wow! That is amazing Pers, I have never seen a box like that!!

I might now end up with a box obsession :laugh:

That looks ideal, The cardboard would help insulate as well, size and depth looks great compared to the pallet in the pic.

Thank you :) and as you say we would be able to throw it out afterwards, which is great for disease control.

Re heat lamps. They are mostly used in piggeries, so a produce or agricultural business which deals with piggeries would have them. I haven't bought any for years, and they were about $60 then

They can be hung from a hook placed into the ceiling in an appropriate place (ie, over the whelping box)with a light chain, and lowered or hightened by use of the chain. If the hook is secure, the bitch should not be able to damage the lamp.

I must say that I think rescue's main function should be homing existing homeless dogs; not producing more when there is no knowledge of their fathers, or their health status. Most bitches can, and should be desexed if in pup, when they come into rescue.

Edited by Jed

Shell pools is another option we have considered for smaller litters and Mum's, thanks :)

Thanks re the info on heat lamps as well Jed :)

These females are in whelp when impounded and need to do the required impound time (7-14 days). If/when they are able to move into a DOC placement they do their impound time in care rather than at the shelter. The owners can still reclaim mum and puppies during DOC.

My most recent rescue was in early whelp and was only 10 months old. I followed my vets advice and the puppies were removed (3 & 1/2 weeks) Not a nice decision to make at all, though her well being was my priority. The vet called to let me know she had 10 potential puppies, I honestly dont think she would have been able to cope with such a large litter.