August Photo Challenge Part 2

gapvic

For those wanting to learn a new technique, photo expansion (or Brenizer technique) is a whole lot of fun. Using this technique you can create amazing depths of fields and when done well, photos have an almost 3D affect.

For this you will need either Photoshop or a program that can "stitch" your photos together. I downloaded and use Microsoft ICE which is free, and brilliant.

http://download.cnet.com/Image-Composite-Editor/3000-2192_4-10973746.html

Taking your photos:

1. Set the white balance (don't leave it on auto)

2. Switch camera over to manual. Set camera to shoot in jpg, not raw, and set it on the smallest size files. This is really important as when the images are all stitched together, the file will be very big.

3. Use as small an f stop as you can (f1.4 or f1.8)

4. Compose your image. It helps if you have not too much around your main focus, but it's good to have trees, shrubs, buildings etc in the background. These will be out of focus but they help create the 3D effect. Having smaller items in the foreground seems to help too.

5. If you've got a tripod, use it. If not, you'll need to keep your feet still.

6. Set and lock focus. Take image.

7. Now the fun part! You need to take several more pictures either side of your main image. Don't change ANY of your camera settings. Leave the focus locked. The pictures should overlap by about a third but it's not crucial that they all line up. For example, from your main image take two or three shots either side, overlapping each by a third. Then point your camera up and take another another seven or eight images from left to right (or reverse, it doesn't matter), again overlapping each by about a third. They also need to overlap the lower images by a third too. Then lower your camera and repeat, taking another seven or eight images across the "bottom". I hope that makes sense. It's easiest to work in a grid pattern so that you don't miss any parts of your photo.

8. Download your images and import them into ICE. It will then stitch them together into one big panoramic image. Crop and then export, then edit as usual in whatever program you usually use.

More information here (with examples):

http://www.flickr.com/groups/brenizermethod/

http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/get-greater-depth-of-field-with-brenizer-method/

http://joelrobisonphoto.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/an-expansion-tutorial/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've had a crack and absolutely LOVE it! Can't put up the pic as it's not forum appropriate (LOL) but have heaps of ideas and can't wait to get out shooting this weekend.

Sadly the one I took isn't suitable for public viewing as it had some nudity LOL! But I'll be out taking some this weekend.

I had a :laugh: when I read this, can't you just put a big square over the rude bits! :rofl: No seriously I will look forward to seeing what else you come up with, This method sounds interesting but hard I remember Rev Jos pic of the dog on the hill side, it looked great.

OK - this isn't a good photo, but I did it this morning just to show how quick the actual process is. There are 21 images used in this pic. See the two black lines on the bottom of the image? That's where I failed to overlap my shots as I was rushing. This was taken with the 90mm at f2.4 so it's really not a great example. From picking up my camera to uploading it to flickr took exactly 20 minutes :)

7693875500_95180771c5_b.jpg

Theses are mine:

f2.8 with the 105mm (not wide enough). Doesn't look any different to a normal photo, except for the dodgy patchwork fence.

7168403647_9b6eea1b62_z.jpg

Not successful either, f2 with the 50mm.

7353329916_03b2722434_z.jpg

I actually think the hardest part is finding a good setting that shows the DOF effectively. If you are careful to overlap when shooting then the technical side is not hard, just stitch and process normally. Gap, have you seen the portrait of Alec Baldwin, it is my fav Brenizer shot, I love it so much and it's one of the shots that got me hooked on the method.

I'm going out on Saturday to find a spot to practise this again.