Focus On Focus

tlc

I thought I'd stick these in here because I do struggle with the focus on my 105mm. So inspired by Snook's efforts, I decided to practice more with this lens. The trick is to stop down and have the ss way higher than I usually would. Most of these were f5.6 and 1/640th.

7842511360_14a92eb256_z.jpg

7842512168_d8c50ba9e2_z.jpg

7842512480_b089d95374_z.jpg

7842512996_4e6b51ffc3_z.jpg

7842513302_36fde2f720_z.jpg

7842513654_eb0665c3a5_z.jpg

Token macro :laugh:

7842513844_1a129afda0_z.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally feel like I am nailing focus now and its finally coming together, getting in practice for when the new lens arrives. :laugh: A crappy old daisy was as good as anything to practice on.

lens was 40mm f/8 1/500 iso 100

file-112.jpg

file-113.jpg

So you really think these ones look ok? I even checked them at 100% crop and they were pretty spot on. :laugh: I seen another patch of daisies and one had a bee on it, do you think I could get the bee in focus, I was so close and the dogs were all milling around me wondering what I was doing and it was windy. :laugh: Talk about a juggling act! I am actually quite suprised at how close in the 40mm will focus, its a great little lens. I have been looking at flash rings today, might just get a cheapie from ebay. Do you think they are a necessity?

Thanks Guys, Huga, these were Raw, I have been shooting in jpeg mainly because I only have 1 CF card and can only fit around 300 photo in it and it goes so quick if I am using fast continuous mode. I think I will stick to Raw from now on as I really noticed a difference today when I popped them in LR to edit. Must invest in another CF card soon.

Yep, sharpen, clarity contrast, maybe I don't sharpen enough? Plus they look good in LR compared to here, does it make a difference that the file in LR is over 5mb and here it's under one, does that have a baring on what others see on their computers?

You need to sharpen as the last thing you do when have resized an image. I've found flickr much better than PB, maybe you should give that a try. I also load up a high res file to flickr and then just choose a smaller size to load via the link. I still have a bit to learn about resizing etc, so I'm happy to learn better processes.

:eek: they look so different! even the colour, thats crazy! I keep going between the first one here and my copy in LR and the one here looks brighter and yellower. :laugh: Edited by tlc