Long Stretch After First Heat, Is She Healthy?

Maddy27

Hey there everyone.

I am enquiring as my bitch has now gone nearly 9 months without a season, during this time she has ruptured her cruciates and had TTA's on both knees.

People told me initially that she was stressed because of her cruciates and surgery, however as time has gone on people are starting to tell me there may be a problem and to ask my vet. The problem is, is that while my vet is pretty good, they seem to be the GP's pf the dog world in that they know a little about everything, but not a lot about more in depth topics (it took 5 visits and they still hadn't diagnosed her cruciate).

Is this normal?

Is this healthy?

She seems to be otherwise in very good health, apart from going slightly insane being crate rested!

She is only 18 months old, and had her first heat in very early december 2011 (her D.O.B. is 23rd of January 2011)

The vet told me there doesn't seem to be anything wrong vaginally, and as I said before she seems to be in perfect health.

Thank you for any responses.

Wouldn't have a clue sorry Crisovar, I purchased her from Errol Tooth, as opposed to breeding her. I will contact Errol today and ask him.

Thanks for the advice, as you can probably guess, Im very new to the whole showing/pedigree world (this is my first papered dog) and I've never had a litter/unneutered dog before.

Link had her first season at 14months and her seasons are 10months apart. Her daughter Rush had her first season early December last year and no signs of her coming in any time soon. Perfectly normal for them to also have 12 month cycles (or longer). Usually similar to their mothers, although Link's litter sister is every 6months so not always a guarantee :)

Just be grateful she isn't a 5 monther LOL

Not all bitches cycle every 6 months and yes stress can delay them.

May I ask if you intend to breed with her because a dog who has done both cruciates at such a young age is not really breeding material IMO. The cruciates would bother me much, much more then a long cycle.

Thanks everyone.

I'm kinda stoked she's not having a season at the mo, as my brother in law dropped his unneutered staffy (BYB) here in may while he looks for a house in Wellington where he is allowed his dog, and the effort in keeping them apart if she should come into season would do my head in!

I've got her enetered in the 2012 Nationals over here in NZ, I've got my fingers crossed VERY tightly she doesn't decided to come into season then (6th October)!

Not so much worried about her second cycle as she is still very young, and a slow maturing bitch at that, however I'm more concerned about having her around dogs, and dog shows.

Also there is a genuine concern for her health when everyone else with Rotties is having 6 month seasons (or atleast they appear to be).

I have no idea how experienced you are and you might have already thought of this but bitches can and do have silent seasons. If she is running with an entire dog when she has a silent season they may have mated and it might be puppies you need to look out for. Just ignore me if this is an impossibility :)