Introducing A New Pack Member

Hi Dolers,

To set the scene, I have two Gsp's, a 6 year old make and 5 year old female. Male is a whatever dog, not fussed by anything and pretty non aggressive (he will defend himself but would rather play running like a dervish) my 5 year old female is a bit different, reactive to other dogs (especially on lead, no surprise there) but has never rushed a dog or motioned towards it when off the lead ie she will walk at the back of the beach rather than walk at the front if there is another dog there. Unfortunately she seems to be the most dominant of the two which is sad as she likes to be in charge but tends to panic under pressure and lash out (noise and aggressive motions) never connected a bite.

So, that is the background, now the issue.

Basically we have gained another pack member in the shape of a cocker spaniel, he is 2 and is the softest most placid, easy going dog I have ever met. Tail wags but never gets over excited, he is gorgeous. To integrate him we all met on neutral territory and "came together whilst walking next to each other, rather than head on" then after a good walk went home. On the whole it has been good as there has been no physical aggression from any of them . However, every now and again my female gives him a little "warning growl, no teeth showing just the chesty growl"

My question is, should I reprimand her as it is not acceptable or as he seems to be responding to the growl with the correct evasive action, walks of or changes direction" just accept that this is part of him learning the "rules of this pack" as a side note, it does not seem to affect his demeanor other than where he is sitting or the direction he was traveling? If that makes sense?

Hope that give you enough info to help me out with your opinions. Currently I am airing on the side of monitoring and letting them work it out (obviously watching closely for any sign of escalation from the GSP or signs of discomfort from the cocker)

Hopefully others more knowledgeable will be along soon - but I wouldn't be concerned about the situation as you describe it. In many households, the 'boss' dog, for want of a better word, can be the (senior) female, and it sounds to me as if your girl is just making sure the newcomer knows this - and it sounds as though he has nice dog manners and is accepting what she is telling him about the proper order or things among the dogs in the household. :)

When my nearly 4 year old Bc male arrived as a 10 week old pup, my bitch - I use the word advisedly - who is 6 years older - spent the first week telling the puppy, without violence, but unmistakeably, just wich dog was in charge in the house. He accepted that - and still does. What was funny was that after about a week, she apparently decided that he'd learnt his place, and wanted him to play with her - which he wasn't sure about at first. :laugh: Now they play every day - and she lets him knock her down and drage her around - but between the two, her word is still law. If she chooses to sleep in his crate, or even in front of it, he daren't go in there :D .

Currently I am airing on the side of monitoring and letting them work it out (obviously watching closely for any sign of escalation from the GSP or signs of discomfort from the cocker)

For me this would be the way to go. I'd probably separate them when you can't supervise - and/or when there are valuable resources around.

One of the wise American dog trainers - can'tr remember which - once wrote an article called something like "Treasure the growl" - pointing out that it's inadvisable to reprimand a dog for growling, as they may simply eliminate that warning from their vocabulary, and go straight to action.

I think Tassie has given you very good advice and what you're already doing sounds like a good strategy. I wouldn't let them run together unless you are supervising for the next few weeks. I also wouldn't be worried about the growling, my adult bitch is boss dog around here and every time another dog walks into my yard she usually snaps at it once or twice and then ignores them for a week, after that there has never been a problem and I can happily leave her to run wtih the other dog. If I had to introduce a dog that didn't submit to her at the first meeting they would be separated indefinitely until I could train a truce between them. I've now introduced at least 4 new dogs into my yard over the past 5 years and we've never had a dog fight.

In all honesty the newbie is such a sweetie I would be surprised if he wanted to run with them lol he is interested in two things sleeping and hugs, and when I say hugs he's not an in your face attention grabber, but he loves a cuddle, he definitely seems more people oriented than my other dogs. Most of the time whilst the GSP's are lolliping around like pillocks he is laying on the bed asleep or at most watching what's going on. I have never met such a laid back, chilled out but happy dog in my life. I just want to make sure we keep him that way as I would not want to think of him feeling threatened in the slightest, which judging from his behavior so far he is not. Thanks for the replies do far, please keep em coming!

Hopefully others more knowledgeable will be along soon - but I wouldn't be concerned about the situation as you describe it. In many households, the 'boss' dog, for want of a better word, can be the (senior) female, and it sounds to me as if your girl is just making sure the newcomer knows this - and it sounds as though he has nice dog manners and is accepting what she is telling him about the proper order or things among the dogs in the household. :)

When my nearly 4 year old Bc male arrived as a 10 week old pup, my bitch - I use the word advisedly - who is 6 years older - spent the first week telling the puppy, without violence, but unmistakeably, just wich dog was in charge in the house. He accepted that - and still does. What was funny was that after about a week, she apparently decided that he'd learnt his place, and wanted him to play with her - which he wasn't sure about at first. :laugh: Now they play every day - and she lets him knock her down and drage her around - but between the two, her word is still law. If she chooses to sleep in his crate, or even in front of it, he daren't go in there :D .

Currently I am airing on the side of monitoring and letting them work it out (obviously watching closely for any sign of escalation from the GSP or signs of discomfort from the cocker)

For me this would be the way to go. I'd probably separate them when you can't supervise - and/or when there are valuable resources around.

One of the wise American dog trainers - can'tr remember which - once wrote an article called something like "Treasure the growl" - pointing out that it's inadvisable to reprimand a dog for growling, as they may simply eliminate that warning from their vocabulary, and go straight to action.

Exchange BC for lab and that was our situation to a T!