Animal Hoarders

yellowgirl

Guest Willow

Who needs 85 cats or dogs anyways? I mean.. Unless they breed them for meat, dairy, eggs or whatever, why does anybody need this many animals? It is impossibly to give each animal the amount of attention they deserve when there are so amny of them...

I think they were supposed to be a cat shelter originally.

Hoarding (animals or things) is usually a part of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

You cant pose rational questions about why they have so many animals, these people aren't thinking rationally, that's the problem.

OCD often stems from trauma, not everybody who suffers trauma develops the illness but many do.

It's very sad and they really do need someone to step in and help them see what they're doing, problem is that so many of them are in denial or don't have the motivation or means to see a counsellor/psychologist and just go on living life like that :(

Edited by Aussie3

Guest lavendergirl

What strikes me is the very compassionate way these people are treated by the authorities such as the Animal Humane Society.

As regards the lady with all the cats I don't see how she and her husband could care for 85 cats either - that still seemed far too many even with volunteer help.

Well my point was that she should not even be allowed to keep this many animals. She is obviously mentally ill and unable to run a shelter or cattery, so a small amount of pets should be all she is permitted to keep. Say 3 or 4 cats maybe. Any more than that and individual attention will be spread thin, add to that that she is potentially unstable and she really does not need more animals in her care!

My sons girlfriend has a friend who "Saves" cats. Problem is she doesn't desex them because "She can't afford to"...so they are having kitten willy nilly and she has about 30 cats now.

This girl needs help.

I've suggested to my sons girlfriend to talk to the Cat Protection Society" and ask them for advice.

Very tricky sitiuation when friends are involved. :(

My sons girlfriend has a friend who "Saves" cats. Problem is she doesn't desex them because "She can't afford to"...so they are having kitten willy nilly and she has about 30 cats now.

This girl needs help.

I've suggested to my sons girlfriend to talk to the Cat Protection Society" and ask them for advice.

Very tricky. As far as they see it they're helping :(

This girl needs help.

Very tricky. As far as they see it they're helping :(

Yes, from what I gather "friends" have been dumping unwanted cats and kittens on her! :eek:

Did anyone see last nights Ep? lauren & Jack??

Lauren turned out to be a milatary wife and hoarded while her husband was OS, she was talked into giving up her animals

then had the house proffessionally cleaned (don't know ho paid for it) then her husband came home two weeks later and she didn't

tell him what went on.

She had a dog give birth on her couch while her friend told her to put something sanitary under the dog but she wouldn't listen,one pup was still born

so she dug a very shallow grave out front & buried it.

She took a dog with parvo to her friends house then it died and her friends dog got sick and later in the Intervention Lauren said it wasn't her fault!!! Yes it was lady!!!!

Jack had about 45 dogs outside & several inside & he had depression, and he couldn't go anywhere as the dogs outside would fight.

Does anyone know what breed these dogs were? They all looked quite similiar. Labs? White Swiss Shepherds??

Jack eventually gave most up to an organization that helps in resocializing dogs.

BB

Last nights was really sad. The "rescue" girl was so over her head. And the fact her and her friend were giving IV fluids, and medicating animals with NO veterinary training was scary. She was just making it up as she went along!!!

I didn't watch the show but there's conflicting opinions here; I was just wondering if the animals were well looked after or if they were neglected? One of the posters said that it all started with 3 undesexed cats, that's negligence on its own and it is a widespread issue, would mandatory desexing be the way to go to keep the pet population under control?

Some are and some aren't. The thing is that commonly the "hoarder" is unable to recognise the cruelty and neglect they are often inflicting on the animals. They get overwhelmed and unable to cope and really need an outside person - such as a therapist in these cases - to provide that "circuit breaker" as often they will not listen to family members - and family members often are not assertive enough in dealing with the "hoarder".

It is interesting that in this show they try to find reasons for the onset of the behaviour - such as some trauma in childhood etc. What I find interesting is that these people develop these obsessions whereas many other people experiencing a similar amount of trauma do not, or perhaps not to this extent anyway. Also I wish they had some sort of follow up on the outcome for the animals e.g. how many were actually rehomed.

I think people react to trauma in differnt ways...I was reading a while back about teenage pregnancies and their need for "unconditional love"...the kind you would only get from a child...or domestic pet.

Well my point was that she should not even be allowed to keep this many animals. She is obviously mentally ill and unable to run a shelter or cattery, so a small amount of pets should be all she is permitted to keep. Say 3 or 4 cats maybe. Any more than that and individual attention will be spread thin, add to that that she is potentially unstable and she really does not need more animals in her care!

That is a very easy statement to make from your rational point of view. The point of this is the fact that sadly, these people are not rational and the situation they have put themselves in is often times borne of good intentions coupled with a massive dose of denial, then when thing get out of control it does finally come to light, it is a huge mess that needs to be delt with delicately. :(

Guest lavendergirl

That is a very easy statement to make from your rational point of view. The point of this is the fact that sadly, these people are not rational and the situation they have put themselves in is often times borne of good intentions coupled with a massive dose of denial, then when thing get out of control it does finally come to light, it is a huge mess that needs to be delt with delicately. :(

That is correct Liz T - added also is that they get fearful of being prosecuted if they ask for help from animal welfare authorities and the cycle just continues and escalates until there is some sort of intervention.

I would say they probably get a lot of say, be pretty hard to come to someone in such a sensetive situation and say 'we are taking 100 of your pets.'

I assume they have a lot of follow up support and ideally would take more but perhaps don't want to push them too hard?

I think in a situation of such mass neglect the owner's feelings probably shouldn't be the highest priority but rather the animal's welfare

If I had 100+ animals in horrendous condition on my property or possibly crammed into my house and was breeding puppies for money nobody would give a crap about my feelings.

If on the other hand I had 100+ animals in horrendous condition on my property possibly crammed into my house and was letting them breed indiscriminately but NOt selling the puppies, instead leaving them to wallow in filth until they die then suddenly my feelings would be super important and nobody could make me give up all of them. Instead they would work with me and still let me keep a ridiculous amount of animals?

Great! If I was a puppy farmer, I would know what to say now to keep most of my breeding animals at least