Help Needed

CHA

Hi everyone, I would like to get some advice from the DOL experts regarding settling in my new dog. We adopted a lovely gentle natured foxie cross from the dog pound last Saturday. She's settling in fine with my other two dogs and is extremely happy to be with us. Her toilet training we are still working on (she's apparently about 1 year and has all her adult teeth) and we are working on her chewing as well. She seems to have no real house manners and we are training her to NOT jump on the kitchen table, and sit and wait for her food etc. etc.

These things I am comfortable with. What I have noticed is a new concerning behavior when we take her on a walk this week. There is a house which backs onto at our park with two big dogs who fence run and bark whenever people walk past. She has started yowling and crying and trembling and carrying on trying to get at them. She sounds like she is being killed and people have come out of their houses to break up the dog fight(!!!!) although they are no where near each other and with a big see through fence between them. Also when we meet another dog on our walk she will exhibit the same behavior with the yowling and screaming. Is she scared or is she being aggressive? Does the barking of the two behind the fence and having big dogs on our walk, in her face, remind her of the pound? What can I do to train her out of this - or do you think she just needs time?

She is very submissive and gentle with my two dogs.

She is also becoming very attached to us and following us around like a shadow, and I am concerned that she may start exhibiting separation anxiety and wonder if you could give me some pointers to ensure she doesn't. I took her into the pet supplies shop to fit her with a harness (as she has backed out of her collar) and she was petrified, clinging on to me.

We already do the going out, ignoring the dogs, coming back later and ignoring her until we are ready to say hello. Is there anything else we need to be doing to ensure she doesn't get separation anxiety?

Sorry if this post is a bit long, but I really want to bring up a well adjusted pound doggy and do my very best with her.

Thank for your advice.

Guest lavendergirl

Perhaps she just needs some further time to adjust and she is being placed in stressful situations too soon. Can you avoid walking her in that area? It is a very confusing time for adopted dogs for the first few weeks. In the past she may not have been accustomed to being taken into pet shops etc so finds that a scary experience. I think it is mainly a matter of patience and introducing her very gradually into experiences she finds unfamiliar and stressful. Too much too soon will make her more stressed and prone to attaching herself to you - perhaps let her get used to the home environment first of all?

Thank you lavendergirl. Sometimes it's hard to see the woods for the trees. I was thinking I should be socializing her more and getting her used to things, but I've only really bought up puppies not had an adult adopted dog before.

So if I give her time to adjust to us and become confident in her surroundings she should be OK to tackle the more major challenges ahead such as other dogs, etc.

She's really happy in our home environment, I think I'll just give her a bit more time with that before we do much more.

Guest lavendergirl

Sounds a good idea. Building confidence is the key thing I think. I have a little adopted dog who does have separation anxiety and believe me it is best to try and stop it developing in the first place :) The trouble is with a lot of the adopted dogs is that we don't know their background and prior experiences so that something our other dogs can handle and are used to might be a totally new - and frightening experience - to the adopted one. I would say she is frightened on the walks and/or does not know what her role is. Routine and structure are very effective at helping them settle in and building confidence.

Good luck - I am sure she will settle in time.

Hi there - good on you for adopting a dog from the pound. I've been rehoming shelter and pound dogs for over 10 years.

The very best thing you can do to get the dog to settle in best is to almost ignore them for 2 weeks (this advice is from a behaviouralist), just keep up your normal routine of feeding, walking etc but don't overdo it with new experiences or people visiting during this time.

After 2 weeks of that, the dog has had a chance to find her way round the new home, your routines etc and will be more comfortable. It's about 2 months before the dog is totally bonded with you as their new owner.

I'm a housetraining expert, having trained 100s of dogs both here in my own home and those that people are fostering/adopting.

If you send me a pm, I am happy to email you my method and/or answer any questions you have.

Please avoid the house with the dogs that set her off - she doesn't need stress whilst settling in, I can help you with that too but just let her settle for a couple of weeks ...

Thanks dogmad, I certainly will be avoiding the house that set her off. It is invaluable to receive help from people who are so experienced at adoption! I'll take it slowly and quietly and let her settle in before giving her too much socialization.

One more thing, do you recommend I ignore her when she cries after being put to bed at night or go in to her an settle her down again? She is in the same room as my other two dogs. I'm really concerned that I don't set up any bad habits (because of my ignorance) at this early stage of the game.

If it's just whining and a bit of high pitched yelping and barking, ignore her. She'll soon learn to settle, otherwise you could end up like my friend who went to the dog every time she cried in the night and created a monster that now owns the bed. She'll be fine, if she's safe and warm and crated separately then there should be no reason to go see her after lights out. Thanks for adopting her, pound doggies are awesome!

Do as Dogmad said and basically ignore her, let her get to know your routine and be relaxed and calm.

If you are chilled ,she will pick up your vibe ,be confident around her,dont fuss her ( as much as i know its hard) :laugh: it will relax her.

Don't do anything that in a few months time you wish you hadn't pandered too.

Yes, definitely ignore the whining, she's just got that initial sep anx and wants to be with you. She will settle but you do need to ignore her - hard I know when you are trying to sleep! I've found it just takes a few days and they will be much better.

Get some Rescue Remedy in drop form from the chemist - about $18. You can drop it onto the dog's head, under their tongue or into their water (better if you only have one dog) and this helps them relax. You can do this as often as you like (every couple of hours) and def. before bedtime, it will really help.

You could also give her an old T shirt you've been wearing to sleep with, that will also help settle her and just leave there for her each night. She's not settled into the routine or new home yet, it does take a while.