Ideas To Keep Pup Busy

TikaAkita

I am spending a couple of weeks away from home due to uni commitments and I have been fortunate enough to get accommodation that has allowed me to bring Tika my 4 month old pup with us. She has a whole backyard to herself.

Its only day one and she is still settling in but seems to be stressing a bit, especially as she cannot come inside. She has her crate outside in a place where she can see me through the window but she still whines and paces on and off. She has been asleep for a while now :)

I am hoping this stress will reduce over a few days as she gets used to a new yard.

I will be giving her bones each day while I'm away and she has all her toys with her. She decided to hide her kong the day before we left home though, so she doesnt have that unfortunately!

I'm just seeing if anyone has any advice or other ideas of things I could give her to help her relax and think about other things during the day while I'm gone?

I can't think of anything personally so this may be a long shot!

She is fine as far as eating and acting normally, I just want to make sure I do the best I can to make her settle in quickly.

Hopefully someone will have a bit of advice :)

cardboard cartons , a sand pit, rotate toys every couple of days ..just leave her a couple at a time ... make ice blocks .. use butter/marg containers , or an ice cream container .. and freeze treats/apple slices / a few kibble bits in plain water .. or chicken stock .

Bob-a-lot/kong wobbler/buster cube type things. They feed 1 piece of kibble at a time :)

Cardboard bit of toilet rolls or glad wrap rolls with peanut butter in them. Tissue boxes with a couple of treats in (this can get messy).

If you cant find your kong when you get home she may have buried it if theres still food inside. Calvin has done this twice before :doh:

All of the above, plus if she eats kibble, you can scatter her breakfast all over the yard for her to search for, rather than gobble it up from her bowl. Gives her something to do & forget about your leaving.

Edited by luvsdogs

I put kibble in an open plastic bottle - my frenchie loves chasing the bottle around trying to get the kibble to fall out. I supervise her of course when she does it but its a cheap and easy way to keep her entertained for a while!