Recommend Obedience Trainer In Sydney?

We're having a lot of trouble with one of our samoyeds. Despite getting frequent walks he is very destructive and has huge separation anxiety.

Can anyone recommend a good dog trainer/behaviourist in the Sydney area? We're in Coogee.

THanks for the suggestions guys, these are trainers you've individually had experience with?

Wow Steve at k9pro recommends a prong collar? That is a surprise, not sure I'd want to go that route.

Edited by samjohn

THanks for the suggestions guys, these are trainers you've individually had experience with?

Wow Steve at k9pro recommends a prong collar? That is a surprise, not sure I'd want to go that route.

I'm not sure recommends would be the right word. He utilises them, but only where appropriate, I'd imagine. He's very good at analysing each case and adapting his methods to suit the individual dog/s needs.

Another vote for Steve (K9Pro). He was brilliant at helping with my nervy timid youngster and just because he has "prongs" in his toolkit (so to speak) doesn't mean you will end up using one so don't let that put you off him.

I will tell you my girls program through Steve was as close to being purely positive as they come with barely any corrections. I have always been an advocate for positive/reward based training in the first instance and nothing Steve suggested to me during the course of training my youngster (over the few years I have been dealing with him) was or is anything that registered as something I wasn't going to be comfortable with doing.

He is certainly good with reading the dog and being able to provide solutions which work and if something doesn't work the first time (normally handler error), he always seems to have a plan b and c and d etc.

And in the end the results speak for themselves. I certainly owe Steve for having helped my youngster live a much more normal and happy life then she might have otherwise.

Edited by ness

I am familiar with Saxon K9.

16 years experience of dog training with Australian Customs, Australian Federal Police dog handler trainer.

Takes a holistic approach to training and uses positive reinforcement methods.

Is also based over near the beaches so will be a lot closer for follow up training etc.

Thanks everyone, especially falconrange, ness and dasha for clarification on the prong collar. Sounds like Steve is the way to go.

I will tell you my girls program through Steve was as close to being purely positive as they come with barely any corrections. I have always been an advocate for positive/reward based training in the first instance and nothing Steve suggested to me during the course of training my youngster (over the few years I have been dealing with him) was or is anything that registered as something I wasn't going to be comfortable with doing.

That sounds like exactly what we need.

Edited by samjohn

• 2 weeks later...

Or send me an email, [email protected] :)

ETA: I would think most trainers either list their prices on their websites or will happily discuss them with you if you email them, we get a lot of emails every day asking about bookings etc so I am sure it's pretty standard.

Edited by huski