Worrying Experience

mixeduppup

I was walking with my 8 year old cousin today, she had the JRT and I had the kelpie. We were walking the route I always take but I've been busy for about a week so haven't gone for a walk recently. Apparently pig hunters have moved into one of the houses just around the corner from me. They have two scruffer crosses, they look like relatively young dogs, but very large, the largest would be mid 30's to early 40's in weight I'd say, but very tall. Anyway the fences are very low but we didn't notice them at first as they were very quiet and then one barked (not overly aggressive but definitely showing a bit of territorial behaviour) and I saw them. I just told my cousin to keep walking and ignore them and she did. We made it past their house and I thought we were fine and then looked back and saw the biggest scruffer jump the fence into the next yard and fence chase us, luckily the fence in this yard was a bit higher and he couldn't jump it without a run-up, but he did try to push through the gate. At our first opportunity we crossed the road, but now I'm very worried about walking (it's the only route available) and his front fence is very low and as he's still growing it's only a matter of time before he realises he can get over that one. Do you think I should go and talk to them (I know most pig hunters in this town and they're pretty arrogant when it comes to being told what to do with their dogs, or even informed that their dogs are doing something bad)I just don't want this dog to escape and hurt itself or anyone else, but I also don't want to cause discourse and problems as it's a small town.

Best let someone know, I mean, It's not exactly like you can go knock on the door in any case... I wouldn't be game!

But best at least let the council know, not everyone can run or get out of the way of a 40kg dog, even if it's not being nasty, I wouldn't want to be in the path of that! haha.

At least if they do keep getting out there's some record of it happening, and being a regular occurrence if nothing else.

I just spoke to a few people and they know of the people and told me to contact the council and not speak to the owners. I'll get onto it asap as I'm quite concerned. Especially as a group of scruffers recently (start of this year) attacked people quite badly not far from here.

I just spoke to a few people and they know of the people and told me to contact the council and not speak to the owners. I'll get onto it asap as I'm quite concerned. Especially as a group of scruffers recently (start of this year) attacked people quite badly not far from here.

Makes sense if they're a bunch of morons, I wouldn't feel comfortable them knowing I'd made complaints or anything, never know quite what they're capable of.

But even if you wanted to, it doesn't sound like the most approachable place!

Never fun for anyone when dingbats move into your street! Haha, I feel your pain!

Definitely contact the council. I still regret not calling the council when I saw a pitbull behind a knee high gate in the next street.

A few weeks later when someone was crossing the road with a small dog the pitbull jumped over the gate and straight into the road to attack the small dog. The police were called but it was too late of course. I'll always regret not taking action.