Mdr1 Gene Mutation

GeorgieB

Hi guys :)

I recently got Reggie tested for the MDR1 gene mutation (ivemectin sensitivity) and just got the results back now and she is a Carrier only.

I've heard conflicting ideas on weather carriers still react to ivermectin and related drugs or not. Does anyone know for certain?

Gosh I don't remember off the top of my head! I think they can still be sensitive but not as much? This link has a lot of info though :)

http://www.ashgi.org/articles/mdr1.htm

I haven't had Lili tested, I just avoid any of the drugs anyway to be safe.

ETA: out of interest, who did you test through? Gribbles?

Edited by Aussie3

Cheers for that Aussie3, that does say that carriers should be considered sensitive too.

I got the test though GTG Labs for $75 ($71 if you pay online I think)

ETA: I was planning to avoid the drugs too anyway, just would have been nice to not have to stress to the vets everytime she's in for something :laugh:

Edited by GeorgieB

That's not bad actually, I should really tear, but Ive always been so paranoid I've treated her as if she was affected her whole life anyway :laugh:

You may find that not all vets are very familiar with the mutation too so make sure you give them a list of the meds if she's ever getting anything done, only a couple I've been to really knew what it was!

Hi GeorgieB

I have had aussies since 1999 and was lucky as I put the early ones on heartworm meds. I didn't even know about it back then and didn't have a computer.

Although these days I test and know the MDR1 status of my dogs I still don't give them heartworm meds. If you google heartworms you will find plenty of info and the conditions that are needed for mozzies to transfer the microfilae.

I did have one MDR1 carrier that didn't handle a desexing surgery well....she wouldn't drink for over 12 hours and wouldn't eat for nearly 24 hours. The medications were not on the list to be avoided so we assume she just was one of those dogs that didn't do well with anesthetics. These days all of mine that go in for anything that has the dog put under gets extra fluids to help flush it out of the system quicker. I have desexed affected with no complications doing it this way.

Give the vet the list of problem drugs and have it put on the pups records.

Mine is a carrier - a lot of the drugs listed are safe in normal usage and at higher levels they can be toxic.

I just gave my vet this list -

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/drugs.aspx

I did the test as I used Advocate at higher doses than normal when my boy had demodex. No problems, he went through surgery okay as well and is on cyclosporine with no issues thus far. One vet almost prescribed my boy flagyl which isn't recommended so its always a good idea to look up any drugs prescribed.

Hi GeorgieB

We have Rough Collies(since 1960).

They are DNA "affected" for MDR1-Ivermectin. On the research I have done I wouldn't give Ivermectin or related drugs even to a Carrie.

Also do you have the list of other medications that should not be given to affected/carriers due to the neuro toxicity?

If you havent please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will email it to you. I take the list with me when I have to take my dogs to the Vet. my regular Vet has it all on file and it well versed with MDR1 sensitivity.

Hi GeorgieB

We have Rough Collies(since 1960).

They are DNA "affected" for MDR1-Ivermectin. On the research I have done I wouldn't give Ivermectin or related drugs even to a Carrie.

Also do you have the list of other medications that should not be given to affected/carriers due to the neuro toxicity?

If you havent please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will email it to you. I take the list with me when I have to take my dogs to the Vet. my regular Vet has it all on file and it well versed with MDR1 sensitivity.

Can I email you for this too please inspector Rex?

I have rough collies, most free and some carriers. But my vet says (actually 3 vets have a similar opinion) that collies are very sensitive race, and all are sensitive to the drugs from MDR1 list and other (outside the list). So when I come with a MDR1 DNA free dog he is treated as a affected :-)

I don't know how looks the situation in your breed (Aussie), rough collies are quite strongly related (average inbreeding 13%) so they can be more sensitive.

Anyway I read article and in laboratory tests, animals (probably mice, but I don't remember) were sensitive to varying degrees: affected (-/-) already reacted to the minimum dose, carriers (+/-) have a higher tolerance, free (+/+) have a high tolerance. But of course overdose will be dangerous for any dog.

So I suppose that MDR1 carrier dog is more sensitive as free dog, but not so much as affected dog.

Alternative medicines are available so it's better to use them.

I hope my English is understandable.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys :)

I recently got Reggie tested for the MDR1 gene mutation (ivemectin sensitivity) and just got the results back now and she is a Carrier only.

I've heard conflicting ideas on weather carriers still react to ivermectin and related drugs or not. Does anyone know for certain?

The best website I have seen with a list of drugs is www.busteralert.org/